The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

This statement keeps being trotted out and it’s just bizarre.

What do you expect to hear?
“We tried to sign the big lad but he decided to go to Partick, then we went for that wee quick guy but he wanted £700 a week and we could only offer £500.
Now nobody else wants to talk to us because they know they are, at best, our third choice”.

No club ever has, or ever will publicly discuss signing targets before they are signed so I’m really not sure where the complaints about ‘deafening silence’ come from or what else they expect.
When you read transfer rumours in the press it’s all from the big clubs and it’ll either be made up or leaked from an agent who has an agenda to push up the price of their client.
The media isn’t interested in our level of football so that’s not going to happen.

Murray has said in interviews that he knows where we need to strengthen. That’s as much as can be said.

Let it be known that’s it’s not just me saying it. Maybe you and the rest of the fan base are happy to wait it out. But I and some others are a little worried that’s all. Opinions matter. Ok mines are a little outlandish, but who cares🤣🤣

19 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I think we might get a permanent CH from down south or even abroad, 1 Loan CH from the premiership sides or maybe a versatile defender that can play along the back 4, apparently Lang is well ahead of schedule and could be back sooner than expected but won’t be rushed type thing 

It’s true- he’s doing very well

Let it be known that’s it’s not just me saying it. Maybe you and the rest of the fan base are happy to wait it out. But I and some others are a little worried that’s all. Opinions matter. Ok mines are a little outlandish, but who cares[emoji1787][emoji1787]

No, it’s not just you, it just so happened you were the latest one to say it.

I agree that I’d much rather know who the targets are and have a warm fuzzy feeling that we’re going to bring in who we need, but football at our level has never been like that so I don’t understand the criticism of the club over a lack of updates.

Unless people genuinely think it’s as easy as popping to strikers-R-us and picking one off the shelf.

48 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

if the gaffer waits until late august then taking at least 6 weeks to accustomize to our style it will be mid to late october before any benefits may be shown.

🤣

24 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

No, it’s not just you, it just so happened you were the latest one to say it.

I agree that I’d much rather know who the targets are and have a warm fuzzy feeling that we’re going to bring in who we need, but football at our level has never been like that so I don’t understand the criticism of the club over a lack of updates.

Unless people genuinely think it’s as easy as popping to strikers-R-us and picking one off the shelf.

I get that side, but you have to balance out against the commercial side of getting your business done quickly too.

Season ticket sales started off really well but I bet we won’t have sold many over the last couple of weeks. If we had an exciting squad already built and had been firing on all cylinders then we probably would have sold more.

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I get that side, but you have to balance out against the commercial side of getting your business done quickly too.

Season ticket sales started off really well but I bet we won’t have sold many over the last couple of weeks. If we had an exciting squad already built and had been firing on all cylinders then we probably would have sold more.

Totally agree bud

Do people think there are strikers and centre backs who are very good players and fit into our budget and are willing to sign for us right now and Murray is just choosing not to sign them?

Just because we haven’t signed anyone for those positions yet doesn’t mean that Murray isn’t trying. People have either turned down offers or the quality isn’t available yet, he’s not sitting there doing nothing comfortable with Lim Dick being our starting centre back, that’s pretty obvious. He knows what we need.

He’ll be working very hard at it but every team is in the same boat, none of the best players are available or committing to anything at the moment. I’d rather we waited and got the right person in than panicked and made a mistake.

We can’t afford another Keatings/Mendy/Riley-Snow this season. It’s essential we get a centre back and striker in but it’s also essential they’re good, filling the positions with duds is much worse than not filling them at all at this stage, we still have almost 4 weeks till our first league game. 

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Do people think there are strikers and centre backs who are very good players and fit into our budget and are willing to sign for us right now and Murray is just choosing not to sign them?

Just because we haven’t signed anyone for those positions yet doesn’t mean that Murray isn’t trying. People have either turned down offers or the quality isn’t available yet, he’s not sitting there doing nothing comfortable with Lim Dick being our starting centre back, that’s pretty obvious. He knows what we need.

He’ll be working very hard at it but every team is in the same boat, none of the best players are available or committing to anything at the moment. I’d rather we waited and got the right person in than panicked and made a mistake.

We can’t afford another Keatings/Mendy/Riley-Snow this season. It’s essential we get a centre back and striker in but it’s also essential they’re good, filling the positions with duds is much worse than not filling them at all at this stage, we still have almost 4 weeks till our first league game. 

Everyone is different mate I have no idea what he has done / turned down and tbh neither do you. Generally I prefer our manager to get the business done sooner, agreed we can’t afford another keatings but I am just finding this pre season very frustrating and expressing that on a football forum.  If we lose to Peterhead or Stirling or Dumbarton then he will be under a bit of pressure before the league kicks off and imo if we qualified from our group as best runner up( which I think we should/can ) we could get another good tie  and bring in needed funds. I can only think we are going down the loan route a lot which worryingly we did under Locke . Not great imo and not inspiring me to buy my season ticket or maybe I’m just suffering from post Mcglynn syndrome 

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Everyone is different mate I have no idea what he has done / turned down and tbh neither do you. Generally I prefer our manager to get the business done sooner, agreed we can’t afford another keatings but I am just finding this pre season very frustrating and expressing that on a football forum.  If we lose to Peterhead or Stirling or Dumbarton then he will be under a bit of pressure before the league kicks off and imo if we qualified from our group as best runner up( which I think we should/can ) we could get another good tie  and bring in needed funds. I can only think we are going down the loan route a lot which worryingly we did under Locke . Not great imo and not inspiring me to buy my season ticket or maybe I’m just suffering from post Mcglynn syndrome 

I had it in my head that Locke didn't have that many loan signings - at least at the start. We did go down the trialist route which led to Coustrain, Osei and Thornsen. We also had the "marquee" signings of McManus and Skatchel (and let's not forget M'Voto or indeed, Chris 'mini messi' Johnston). It was only really Jordan Thompson and Scott Roberts to start with, wasn't it? Obviously Hardie came in later in January, and Roberts signing was made permanent.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but quite apart from Locke's dimsal instincts as a tactician, he was a fucking rotten judge of ability. All those signings, with the exception of Hardie, were rank.

There does need to be some movement soon, no doubt but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only one in the CB position and then not even in time for P'Heid. Unless the trialist striker starts showing up a lot better (and let's face it, that's unlikely) then my guess is the striker signing likely will be a loanee with probably half the championship fighting over the same same three names.

I had it in my head that Locke didn't have that many loan signings - at least at the start. We did go down the trialist route which led to Coustrain, Osei and Thornsen. We also had the "marquee" signings of McManus and Skatchel (and let's not forget M'Voto or indeed, Chris 'mini messi' Johnston). It was only really Jordan Thompson and Scott Roberts to start with, wasn't it? Obviously Hardie came in later in January, and Roberts signing was made permanent.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but quite apart from Locke's dimsal instincts as a tactician, he was a fucking rotten judge of ability. All those signings, with the exception of Hardie, were rank.
There does need to be some movement soon, no doubt but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only one in the CB position and then not even in time for P'Heid. Unless the trialist striker starts showing up a lot better (and let's face it, that's unlikely) then my guess is the striker signing likely will be a loanee with probably half the championship fighting over the same same three names.
Wasn't McManus a loan? He was still with Fleetwood when with us.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
37 minutes ago, renton said:

Wasn't McManus a loan? He was still with Fleetwood when with us.

Maybe, I recall an 'outside' sponsor being involved with his wages.

56 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I think we can assume to a fair degree that any players presented to Murray have not met his requirements. If we're going to play a high pressing game, we need quick centre backs who are comfortable in possession because we have to play a high line and be able to exploit teams when we get the ball back. I don't know how many of those are available to us right now. I can't see us picking up anyone in Scotland unless on loan.

A lot of premiership teams are already back in pre season training and playing friendlies/bounce games already so if we are looking at the loan market for a CH or forward then I think it will be the next week or 2 before anything is clear/rumoured to be on that front 

27 minutes ago, renton said:

Maybe, I recall an 'outside' sponsor being involved with his wages.

Think it was a loan, but wages were covered by sponsor.

Lockes side is an example showing that getting business done early only works if you don't fill the squad with absolute shite.