The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Yes we have 4 players out, but I totally disagree that we only need 2 players. Vaughan may recover he may not, Spencer plays in a position that we are covered in along with Matthews, Lang should be okay come October maybe November, however, we currently have one CB who is 36 year old, we have Dick at left back with Young as his replacement, who may benefit more going out on loan, we have Gullan as our main striker who is never a number 9 and we have no target man that can hold the ball up for our midfield to get involved.  I still say we are 5 players short, whether they are permanent signings or season long loans I don't know but when you let about 10 players leave we can't move forward with only 4 or 5 new signings. Look at our bench at the moment, it consists of Mahady who is not good enough, Coulston that needs to get regular game time along with Young on loan and Masson who I know absolutely nothing about. 

In fairness, we ended up with 10 guys leaving partly because McGlynn let the squad get bloated trying to address his earlier errors.

Aye, pre-season is an odd time, and while some folk seem overly worried about glorified kickabouts, at the end of the day, you can only base your judgments on the evidence in front of you. However, the overly bleak opinions should very much be tempered by the fact the squad will have reinforcements in by the time the league season starts. (I hope)

Like most are suggesting, we're far too light in defence and up front, and both of those areas are nowhere near good enough for the Championship as it stands. 

I believe Ian Murray has suggested that he'd like to fully utilise the loan market, which presumably means bringing in 4 or 5 by those means, so I'm guessing we might not see too many additional permanent signings, if any, although that's based on nothing more than assumptions. I just can't see us bringing in another 7 or 8 via loans and signings combined. 

To me, that may be why he was suggesting there was no rush to make new signings, as loan deals may still be a week or two away once the Premiership sides decide who they want to keep and who they can let go on a temporary basis. 

One thing to cling to is that no-one in the Championship has completed business which concerns me so far. Dundee haven't done much, possibly anything in the transfer market, but I'd make them favourites, Partick have done okay so far, Inverness are generally there or thereabouts, but the rest? All either in the same boat as us, or in the case of Hamilton, appear to be an utter shambles. 

For what it's worth, I think we've got the basis of a good team, but no more than that as it stands, and we could go one way or another, which is probably a facile point and can be made of any side, but not many have as good a midfield as ourselves. If the additions coming in are of the right calibre, then we could make a decent push for the top four. On the other hand, if they aren't of the right quality, then we'll almost certainly have a season of mediocrity/toil (deplete as applicable) 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Daily Record reporting Gozie Ugwu on trial at Falkirk and played as a trialist in a friendly for them. If he is kicking about looking for a Scottish club then I’d say we’d be mad not to be trying to sign him up. Won’t solve all our problems by any means, wasn’t exceptional or prolific for us previously, but a proven championship striker who arguably improved last season from his time with us and is in the mould of ‘target man who can also put the ball in the back of the net’ - which is exactly what we need to be looking for up top. 

5 minutes ago, ComeOnYouRaith said:

Daily Record reporting Gozie Ugwu on trial at Falkirk and played as a trialist in a friendly for them. If he is kicking about looking for a Scottish club then I’d say we’d be mad not to be trying to sign him up. Won’t solve all our problems by any means, wasn’t exceptional or prolific for us previously, but a proven championship striker who arguably improved last season from his time with us and is in the mould of ‘target man who can also put the ball in the back of the net’ - which is exactly what we need to be looking for up top. 

I'd have Ugwu back in a second.

I wonder if Murray is even looking though, or if the strategy is just to go for loan signings.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Yes we have 4 players out, but I totally disagree that we only need 2 players. Vaughan may recover he may not, Spencer plays in a position that we are covered in along with Matthews, Lang should be okay come October maybe November, however, we currently have one CB who is 36 year old, we have Dick at left back with Young as his replacement, who may benefit more going out on loan, we have Gullan as our main striker who is never a number 9 and we have no target man that can hold the ball up for our midfield to get involved.  I still say we are 5 players short, whether they are permanent signings or season long loans I don't know but when you let about 10 players leave we can't move forward with only 4 or 5 new signings. Look at our bench at the moment, it consists of Mahady who is not good enough, Coulston that needs to get regular game time along with Young on loan and Masson who I know absolutely nothing about. 

Masson has barely just played his first minutes for us. He'll be nowhere near ready for first team action yet, and that isn't a slight against the lad.

For me, I think we need to be bringing in two centre halves and one centre forward as a minimum. It's hard to say when clubs will first start making their moves in the loan market. You can get a bit of an idea as to who might not be in plans with players who aren't travelling on any foreign camps (Dylan Tait, while not a player we'd need, is an example). I'd expect that any loan we do bring in will probably be from down south and a bit of a wildcard much in the way Varion was last season. 

This season in particular there's a feeling that both ourselves and the clubs around us are cutting their cloth a bit more frugally. No team has really raced out into the market to bring in 6 or 7 players with a complete rebuild. As ComeOnYouRaith says, Ugwu was on trial for Falkirk in a friendly. He'd been offered a deal by Morton but has turned it down and nobody has gone for him immediately. I suspect that's probably the case for a few players at this level - clubs are maybe less keen to stump up for wages which might be inflated compared to last season with the rise in the cost of living. It's probably why you're also seeing clubs take gambles like Caley with Steven Boyd. 

Time will tell how it pans out. We've still got one more preseason game to go, and just under two weeks to make some moves before our first competitive game. Folk can lose the rag all they want over being 'entertained' but the reality is none of the players or management will really care about the result. 

Fwiw, I'd also be happy to have Gozie back. He's had his fitness issues in the past with injuries but he's a known quantity. I'd be confident we could get a good partnership out of him with Gullan. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

29 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Aye, pre-season is an odd time, and while some folk seem overly worried about glorified kickabouts, at the end of the day, you can only base your judgments on the evidence in front of you. However, the overly bleak opinions should very much be tempered by the fact the squad will have reinforcements in by the time the league season starts. (I hope)

Like most are suggesting, we're far too light in defence and up front, and both of those areas are nowhere near good enough for the Championship as it stands. 

I believe Ian Murray has suggested that he'd like to fully utilise the loan market, which presumably means bringing in 4 or 5 by those means, so I'm guessing we might not see too many additional permanent signings, if any, although that's based on nothing more than assumptions. I just can't see us bringing in another 7 or 8 via loans and signings combined. 

To me, that may be why he was suggesting there was no rush to make new signings, as loan deals may still be a week or two away once the Premiership sides decide who they want to keep and who they can let go on a temporary basis. 

One thing to cling to is that no-one in the Championship has completed business which concerns me so far. Dundee haven't done much, possibly anything in the transfer market, but I'd make them favourites, Partick have done okay so far, Inverness are generally there or thereabouts, but the rest? All either in the same boat as us, or in the case of Hamilton, appear to be an utter shambles. 

For what it's worth, I think we've got the basis of a good team, but no more than that as it stands, and we could go one way or another, which is probably a facile point and can be made of any side, but not many have as good a midfield as ourselves. If the additions coming in are of the right calibre, then we could make a decent push for the top four. On the other hand, if they aren't of the right quality, then we'll almost certainly have a season of mediocrity/toil (deplete as applicable) 

His style of recruitment really frustrates me tbh bud but I need to just get used to it, if folk are moaning now wait till the season starts 🤦🏻‍♂️ Totally agree with what your saying and hopefully things pick up soon he just seems too laid back

30 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

His style of recruitment really frustrates me tbh bud but I need to just get used to it, if folk are moaning now wait till the season starts 🤦🏻‍♂️ Totally agree with what your saying and hopefully things pick up soon he just seems too laid back

That's a view from the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

What were you expecting that hasn't happened? All players signed by start of July? We've got a new manager in who needs time to evaluate his team, identify the weaknesses and find players who will make those areas stronger. I don't think that was really possible by the time July started. I'd rather Murray takes his time and finds the right players that will improve us and we won't be in a Mendy, Riley-Snow or Keatings situation again. I've not seen a lot of centre back signings at this level that I'd have wished were joining us so far to be fair. 

Now that it's July, we'll have more options available from clubs in England and potentially further afield if we want to as those contracts will have expired and players released 

Looking at the highlights, kareem looked to have a few good touches and a little bit of pace about him but missed a good chance to score. I don't think he looks like the big target man that we probably need. Gullan took up a good position and Connolly won the header at 4 ft nothing for him to tap it in. Taylor was absolutely done for the Kelty goal but it was nicely done by agyeman and a good finish.

Who was done for the Kelty goal

2 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

What were you expecting that hasn't happened? All players signed by start of July? We've got a new manager in who needs time to evaluate his team, identify the weaknesses and find players who will make those areas stronger. I don't think that was really possible by the time July started. I'd rather Murray takes his time and finds the right players that will improve us and we won't be in a Mendy, Riley-Snow or Keatings situation again. I've not seen a lot of centre back signings at this level that I'd have wished were joining us so far to be fair. 

Now that it's July, we'll have more options available from clubs in England and potentially further afield if we want to as those contracts will have expired and players released 

I expected him to have some players in mind and move to bring them in which to be fair he did with Easton, millen and brown. The obvious need for cb’s and strikers needs to be addressed more urgently imo as he seems to be waiting for the perfect players and I think he made a mistake not keeping Frankie but this is just my opinion 

I think we might get a permanent CH from down south or even abroad, 1 Loan CH from the premiership sides or maybe a versatile defender that can play along the back 4, apparently Lang is well ahead of schedule and could be back sooner than expected but won’t be rushed type thing 

12 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I think we might get a permanent CH from down south or even abroad, 1 Loan CH from the premiership sides or maybe a versatile defender that can play along the back 4, apparently Lang is well ahead of schedule and could be back sooner than expected but won’t be rushed type thing 

Hopefully not of the quality of Adam cooney from United and if true about Lang that is good news