The New Raith Rovers Thread

45 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

they are paying to be entertained, friendly or otherwise

But football isin’t guaranteed is it? Friendly or otherwise? One of the main reasons why we all love it. 

Definitely too many folk jumping the gun. I’d probably sit myself somewhere in the middle.

Yes it’s pre-season so not overly bothered, but the squad does look rather light in some places and I’d like to see it addressed sooner rather than later. But again I do appreciate that this may take some time also. It’s not the same as Football Manager FFS.

Expecting us to have a better squad than last season though I think is a bit much, considering an agreement to have Goodwillie off the books doesn’t seem to be agreed yet. Think some are forgetting this. 

16 minutes ago, Wardy said:

But football isin’t guaranteed is it? Friendly or otherwise? One of the main reasons why we all love it. 

Definitely too many folk jumping the gun. I’d probably sit myself somewhere in the middle.

Yes it’s pre-season so not overly bothered, but the squad does look rather light in some places and I’d like to see it addressed sooner rather than later. But again I do appreciate that this may take some time also. It’s not the same as Football Manager FFS.

Expecting us to have a better squad than last season though I think is a bit much, considering an agreement to have Goodwillie off the books doesn’t seem to be agreed yet. Think some are forgetting this. 

what kicked this off is my post which was grossly misinterpreted. i was refering to format and style. maybe badly worded by me. we have 4 major players out lang, mathews, spencer and vaughan so how many new players do we actually need. maybe 2. a cb and a striker. the highlights from wed and yesterdays game showed our major flaw. we are still mostly trying to walk the ball in the net instead of shooting and thats the major overhaul i tried to show. we have the players who can score from distance but how often are they utilised. thats the overhaul we need. using the abundance of flair this squad has. you can all fill in the rest as i have made my point

what kicked this off is my post which was grossly misinterpreted. i was refering to format and style. maybe badly worded by me. we have 4 major players out lang, mathews, spencer and vaughan so how many new players do we actually need. maybe 2. a cb and a striker. the highlights from wed and yesterdays game showed our major flaw. we are still mostly trying to walk the ball in the net instead of shooting and thats the major overhaul i tried to show. we have the players who can score from distance but how often are they utilised. thats the overhaul we need. using the abundance of flair this squad has. you can all fill in the rest as i have made my point
Who are these players who can score from distance yet are not being utilised?

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
8 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

Whi are these players who can score from distance yet are not being utilised?

mathews and vaughan out injured and we still have ross and gullan connoly and easton. we use the wings get into good positions then pump the ball into a crowded area never to a outlying player. just go watch the highlights and see. so 5 players not being fully utilised. get my point pal

7 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

mathews and vaughan out injured and we still have ross and gullan connoly and easton. we use the wings get into good positions then pump the ball into a crowded area never to a outlying player. just go watch the highlights and see. so 5 players not being fully utilised. get my point pal

I'm not quite sure how pumping the ball into a crowded area equates to trying to walk the ball into the net.

Every single year there is a massive overreaction to pre season. Results and performances are completely irrelevant. As had been said, there are countless examples of bad pre seasons which have produced good seasons and vice versa. There is a reason we are playing pre season games and it is because we are not ready to play competitive games, we need fitness and sharpness to get to the level required for the real stuff so how can you possibly judge anyone when they are playing their first games after 2 months and getting rid of the rust. If they were at their best already we’d just have went straight into the League Cup games.

Furthermore, we have a brand new manager experimenting with different players and formations, I can guarantee we will not see that back 4 from yesterday start a league game this season. Aside from players getting up to speed, we still have at least once centre back and striker to come into the starting line up. The manager could easily go out and fill those positions today but if the quality available just now is not right, what is the point? Those signings will define our season. Like everyone else, I would love is we signed them this week but if we have to wait till the first league game to get the quality required then so be it. Nobody else in the league has made any signings I’d be jealous of in the last week or so, we’re all in the same boat.

The League Cup offers good money for a club at our level and we should be looking to progress given the draw but even that is really an extension of pre season. Look at Dunfermline last season, cruised through their group and then had a disaster of a season. Or Inverness, they a shocker under their new manager last season being beat at home to Stirling and comfortably by Cove. Billy Dodds saying he hadn’t had a chance to work with the defence yet which I’m sure triggered a few alarm bells. They then started the season with 5 clean sheets in a row and had a really good season.

I’m not sure people appreciate what a change it is with a new manager and it will take time for him to find the right formula, the fact people are raising concerns already after effectively 2 pre season games is absolutely fucking wild. 

No. And I'm not your pal.

6 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
20 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

No. And I'm not your pal.

ok what you want me to call you. dimwit or Nikolai Petrovich Polyakov

41 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

Sorry I wasn’t really meaning to have a go, or to come across as attacking you for expressing your opinion.

It’s just you’re wording, as you have already explained, seemed a bit extreme and I was intrigued as to what you were meaning. 

I’m sure fans aren’t that stupid to assume that a change in style will take 3 pre-season games to nail down with not even a complete squad. Surely? 

2 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Sorry I wasn’t really meaning to have a go, or to come across as attacking you for expressing your opinion.

It’s just you’re wording, as you have already explained, seemed a bit extreme and I was intrigued as to what you were meaning. 

I’m sure fans aren’t that stupid to assume that a change in style will take 3 pre-season games to nail down with not even a complete squad. Surely? 

good lord no and yes it was just my opinion. we all have one. its simply what i saw on wed and yesterdays highlights showed a re run of last season. to me we appear to want to walk the ball into the net. its old hat now. we need flair and inividual skills. we have the latter but sadly not the former. but as you all say the manager will sort it

2 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

they are paying to be entertained, friendly or otherwise

No one pays to he entertained at a friendly. Its a cash grab by clubs, which is fair enough. Honestly though, I'd make friendlies closed doors. 

5 minutes ago, renton said:

No one pays to he entertained at a friendly. Its a cash grab by clubs, which is fair enough. Honestly though, I'd make friendlies closed doors. 

next saturday your wish is granted

new players do we actually need. maybe 2. a cb and a striker.

Imo I think we need at least 4…… 2 cbs as we can’t wait forever with Lang and No guarantee Berra can play every game, 2 strikers (1 on loan) we can’t pin our hopes on Vaughan and Jamie Gullan can’t play up on his own I still think we need 4 at least 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

Imo I think we need at least 4 2 cbs as we can’t wait forever with Lang and No guarantee Berra can play every game, 2 strikers (1 on loan) we can’t pin our hopes on Vaughan and Jamie Gullan can’t play up on his own I still think we need 4 at least 

42 centre backs is a helluva lot, no?

Yes we have 4 players out, but I totally disagree that we only need 2 players. Vaughan may recover he may not, Spencer plays in a position that we are covered in along with Matthews, Lang should be okay come October maybe November, however, we currently have one CB who is 36 year old, we have Dick at left back with Young as his replacement, who may benefit more going out on loan, we have Gullan as our main striker who is never a number 9 and we have no target man that can hold the ball up for our midfield to get involved.  I still say we are 5 players short, whether they are permanent signings or season long loans I don't know but when you let about 10 players leave we can't move forward with only 4 or 5 new signings. Look at our bench at the moment, it consists of Mahady who is not good enough, Coulston that needs to get regular game time along with Young on loan and Masson who I know absolutely nothing about. 

59 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Yes we have 4 players out, but I totally disagree that we only need 2 players. Vaughan may recover he may not, Spencer plays in a position that we are covered in along with Matthews, Lang should be okay come October maybe November, however, we currently have one CB who is 36 year old, we have Dick at left back with Young as his replacement, who may benefit more going out on loan, we have Gullan as our main striker who is never a number 9 and we have no target man that can hold the ball up for our midfield to get involved.  I still say we are 5 players short, whether they are permanent signings or season long loans I don't know but when you let about 10 players leave we can't move forward with only 4 or 5 new signings. Look at our bench at the moment, it consists of Mahady who is not good enough, Coulston that needs to get regular game time along with Young on loan and Masson who I know absolutely nothing about. 

Like you say, we’ve released at least 10 players and replaced hardly anyone. The worry is that we’re really slow to replenish the problems in defence. Brody Paterson seems to have dropped off the radar. He would’ve been a great signing. Especially to compete with Dick at Left Back, that’s not hard if I’m honest. People I know are a little worried that we haven’t pinpointed players to replace those that left the club. The loan market should be key for a club like ours especially bigger clubs sending out their young up and coming talent. 

Edited by baillieinleeds

7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Like you say, we’ve released at least 10 players and replaced hardly anyone. The worry is that we’re really slow to replenish the problems in defence. Brody Paterson seems to have dropped off the radar. He would’ve been a great signing. Especially to compete with Dick at Left Back, that’s not hard if I’m honest. People I know are a little worried that we haven’t pinpointed players to replace those that left the club. The loan market should be key for a club like ours especially bigger clubs sending out their young up and coming talent. 

Premier clubs tend not to prioritise letting players out on loan until later in the window anyway.

Paterson is not a priority. Not when we need CBs.