The New Raith Rovers Thread

I take it Murray was watching a different game from everyone else? Although I thought we deserved to win I don't think there are many who share his level of positivity about the performance. Certainly didn't seem to be the general feeling near me. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm just commenting on Easton, not the team as a whole.

Easton struggled against Cove and Championship sides we played last year,   Wonderful player in when you a r e riding teams,    I think he could become a luxury player is you start to struggle....  But looking at your squad and signings it looks pretty decent , top 4 what do you think

Easton struggled against Cove and Championship sides we played last year,   Wonderful player in when you a r e riding teams,    I think he could become a luxury player is you start to struggle....  But looking at your squad and signings it looks pretty decent , top 4 what do you think
Need to see what our defence and striker options are like before we talk about top 4 but looking at our midfield options, we should be there or there abouts if Murray gets the signings right.

Ok still a friendly same as QotS was but where is the "high press and quick attacking football" cos' I'm yet to see it.

As I say very early days but with age comes experience and tbh I'm concerned.

49 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Ok still a friendly same as QotS was but where is the "high press and quick attacking football" cos' I'm yet to see it.

As I say very early days but with age comes experience and tbh I'm concerned.

Yeah I’m with you there. One of the things Murray mentioned in his first interview was that teams would never out work us. We might not always win, but we would always work harder than the opposition. That’s not been the case in the last two games, both against ‘lesser’ opposition.

Absolutely mind-blown at some of the reaction on here for pre season games. It’s all about fitness and for the new manager to assess what he has, Or In some cases, hasn’t. 

some real overreaction and bed wetting going on here. 

imaging booing a pre season friendly 😂😂 

I really do feel for Murray. Luckily if It does go tits up for him we have a few experts on here who seen to know what they are talking about and will fill the void…..

21 minutes ago, Railwaystand said:

Absolutely mind-blown at some of the reaction on here for pre season games. It’s all about fitness and for the new manager to assess what he has, Or In some cases, hasn’t. 

some real overreaction and bed wetting going on here. 

imaging booing a pre season friendly 😂😂 

I really do feel for Murray. Luckily if It does go tits up for him we have a few experts on here who seen to know what they are talking about and will fill the void…..

While I completely agree that booing (I didn’t hear any) at a friendly is way over the top, I don’t think it’s an over reaction to be unhappy at how we have played in the last two games. While some may be happy to go with the ‘it’s just about building up fitness’ line, the club are still charging people to come and watch these games so the players should still be expected to perform to a certain level. 

5 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

While I completely agree that booing (I didn’t hear any) at a friendly is way over the top, I don’t think it’s an over reaction to be unhappy at how we have played in the last two games. While some may be happy to go with the ‘it’s just about building up fitness’ line, the club are still charging people to come and watch these games so the players should still be expected to perform to a certain level. 

Whether the club are charging or not that level of abuse is not a good look.

It was only as recently as 3 years ago where it was taken to another level and destroyed Lewis Allan's confidence.

9 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Fair enough, but also note how many young players we’ve been getting time on the pitch. Since we have Mitchell, Masson and Young all on Modern Apprentice contracts that expire in 2023, it’s critical we get to see them.

It's quite mental to think people are booing players who are trying to get ready to actually perform to the best of their ability when it matters. Pre season is about fitness and nothing more. The squad isn't even complete yet.

7 hours ago, Jilted John said:

It's an absolute overreaction. The players are being asked to try new things by the manager as well as get back to a level of fitness. New systems and plans don't come instantly, they take time on the training pitch to bed in and get right. That's not a realistic or even remotely sensible expectation to have after 2 weeks of training and 3 pre season matches where line ups are continually altered to give others minutes. 

7 hours ago, Jilted John said:

the club are still charging people to come and watch these games so the players should still be expected to perform to a certain level. 

Supporters should know the score with friendly games by now. 

If they're paying to come down to see us playing relentless silky exhibition football that's on them, not the club.

Of course booing a friendly is a tad OTT, but when you support the Rovers you have to be used to that kind of behaviour, it's really nothing new, you can take the dour Fifer out of Fife but you'll never take the dour out of (some) Fifers.

All the same there were more Rovers fans leaving the ground yesterday shaking their heads than smiling that was for sure, and it's not hard to see why.

Murray has made promises and though there's no indications as yet hopefully the signs will appear soon that his methods are the right ones, otherwise we are in for a long hard season.

What concerns me is the players he's brought in and most importantly hasn't (yet), last season we conceded too many goals yet despite 4 departures the only new defender through the door so far is Ross Millen (who's performances thus far haven't filled me with hope). Instead without even seeing us play Murray has brought in 2 new guys to compete in what most would probably agree is our strongest department. Are Brown and Easton better than what we have in Stanton, Arnott, Spencer and Matthews? I don't think so, in fact so far they don't look as good, I only hope they settle in and improve massively.

I fully understand that adapting to a new coach's style will take a while, but I'm still concerned that the level of quality in the team has if anything dropped a notch.

9 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Supporters should know the score with friendly games by now. 

If they're paying to come down to see us playing relentless silky exhibition football that's on them, not the club.

they are paying to be entertained, friendly or otherwise