The New Raith Rovers Thread

22 hours ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

His only good games were against Alloa and the Pars when we played the diamond with him and Vaughan up front and Kai Kennedy playing off them

Each to their own mate. 

8 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I’ll say it again. We need Poplatnik 

Honestly, Mitchell is pretty close to Pops in style and motor. Lacks experience, and is still very young, but I’d use him in that role before I’d sign Pops.

5 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Getting pissed off with this fannying about between defenders and keepers playing tippy tappy balls.  It seems unfortunately this is the new way of playing.  Not just the Rovers doing it.
How many goals does this cause?  Why not the old fashioned way of either play it out of defence, or route one it?  
McGrymms team last season were bad for it.

This has been the way of playing for the last 20-25 years in decent countries. Scotland is just late to the party. Route one is not the answer, not with the players we have and really, not in general. Football has progressed and rightly so. No matter the approach though, you're always going to concede if you're not concentrating on what you're doing. The goal conceded on Wednesday is a case in point. Berra wasn't paying attention and screwed up a simple pass. We didn't concede many that way last season, our issue was when we lost the ball going forward, we were caught far too regularly down the sides and with too many men forward. Or by stupid defending.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, Mitchell is pretty close to Pops in style and motor. Lacks experience, and is still very young, but I’d use him in that role before I’d sign Pops.

can’t agree with that at all Tx, we need an experienced striker not a kid , I like Mitchell and think he can be a decent player but matej would get us at least 15 goals this season 

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

He'll be a lot more expensive now that Livi aren't paying a portion of his wages. Also, Livi won't be paying his digs this time.

To be fair we've made a point with loans that if it's a first team player who's out of favour and not someone needing game time, then clubs pay their full wage. Same thing was what stopped Sibbald going to Dunfermline in January and stopped Reilly going elsewhere in January as well. You'll likely have been paying his wages but I don't imagine they would've been that much

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
4 hours ago, Been going too long said:

can’t agree with that at all Tx, we need an experienced striker not a kid , I like Mitchell and think he can be a decent player but matej would get us at least 15 goals this season 

King of the optimists ^^^

He got 11 last season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Been going too long

agreed. get him signed murray
Disagree completely. Then we end up with the same two strikers that done little in the second half of the season. It was clear Poplatnik and gullen can't play in the same team. We need to buy a player that can bring the best if what we already have unfortunately. IMO that ain't Poplatnik.

5 hours ago, foreverarover said:
11 hours ago, Varna Rover said:
agreed. get him signed murray

Disagree completely. Then we end up with the same two strikers that done little in the second half of the season. It was clear Poplatnik and gullen can't play in the same team. We need to buy a player that can bring the best if what we already have unfortunately. IMO that ain't Poplatnik.

Suggestions then?, by all accounts, or what I’ve heard is we have a tight budget. Poplatnik scored 11 goals when he actually got a run in the team. That was after Xmas by the way. Not too bad for a team struggling in the aftermath of you know who 

12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If we are signing two forwards I will be fine with Poplatnik being one of them. If we sign one, we need to hold out for better. 

This. If we sign Poplatnik we will still need another striker, he is not the answer to our problems on his own. I understand people looking to sign him given our lack of options and the fact he was decent in the latter half of the season.

The concern for me is there were still plenty games in that run where he was anonymous. Take away that 4 consecutive game purple patch from QOS away to the cup final (where he was excellent tbf) and he scored 6 goals in 40 appearances and 2 of those 6 were scored against East Fife and Banks O’ Dee.

I feel like those 4 consecutive games culminating in the cup final, where he was absolutely outstanding, are clouding people’s views of the bigger picture and evidence over the season that he isn’t the answer as a lone striker. If the budget is there for two strikers then I’d be happy to see him back, he seems like a really decent guy and popped up with some important goals but if he can only sign one striker, it wouldn’t be him.

The likes of Musonda, Poplatnik and even Bene are perfectly serviceable Championship options IMO but let’s not forget they all played a part in our dreadful second half of the season form. I am happy for Murray to roll the dice and seek out improvements for those key areas which we need if we want to kick on. The key thing is holding his nerve and making sure he gets the replacements right otherwise I’ve no doubt not retaining those players will be thrown back in his face throughout the season. 

Murray’s comments in the FFP are quite concerning saying that he’s in no rush to sign anyone, I think he’s struggling to get someone in that he sees fit in his style, or there’s no one there in our price range. 

we will be going into the season with 4 defenders 3 full backs Liam Fucking Dick at CH, what if a defender gets injured are we just going chuck Masson in the deep end? I don’t mind waiting but if your barebones in 1 position then it’s a risk you can’t afford to take imo