The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

I know it’s not nice to discuss it really but this is surely Lewis’ last shot at being a professional footballer? As much as we all love him and want nothing more than to see him put his injury hell behind him… the odds aren’t in his favour and Murray would be foolish to be pinning much hope on Vaughan playing an integral roll to our season.

Lang hopefully comes good but again, even if he is to get back to 100%, it isn’t going to happen overnight once he gets the green light to play again so we certainly need two new CB’s. Remember Berra struggled himself last season with one or two knocks and isn’t getting any younger either.

It seems year on year we have the worst luck with injuries. To hear Spencer and Matthews are out for months too now is just shit.

We clearly need one or two strikers in, expect they might be be from the loan route…

We won't see the best of Vaughany this season. if his ACL injury takes him 10 months to recover from its likey to take another 8-10 months for the muscle and ligaments in his leg to get back to full strength. 

This season should be looked at a bonus having him involved this season, but hopefully Murray and Agnew manage his minutes and training accordingly so we can get him back to his best next season.

As harsh as it is, I can't see Vaughan being any more than a luxury player.  Even if you ignore the obvious ACL's, there have been plenty calf/thigh etc issues also.  A real shame. 

24 minutes ago, Hadji said:

We won't see the best of Vaughany this season. if his ACL injury takes him 10 months to recover from its likey to take another 8-10 months for the muscle and ligaments in his leg to get back to full strength. 

This season should be looked at a bonus having him involved this season, but hopefully Murray and Agnew manage his minutes and training accordingly so we can get him back to his best next season.

Agreed, he should be brought back in slowly. Not chucked back into starting games. That probably means us needing two forward players and two CBs to come in.

31 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Our recent injury woes - Spencer again and Matthews - make me wonder again about something someone said earlier. If Spencer's injury is described by Murray as something which should probably have been looked at earlier, and Matthews needed surgery on a problem which was bothering him last season and no-one got to the bottom of, it arguably points a finger at our management of injury and recovery under McGlynn's reign. That in itself points toward training intensity, frequency etc, and I just wonder if some of our notorious bad luck wasn't at least in part, self inflicted. Be interesting to see how we fare this season, and how Falkirk compare.

It was like I was reading James Keatings' comments again when I read those comments from Murray. 

I did think McGlynn at least tried to be careful with Vaughan in terms of playing him, but training may have been a different matter. 

Oh, and we need two strikers, not one. If Vaughan, by some miracle, ends up getting fit and staying fit, and someone ends up kicking their heels as a result, so be it. 

Edited by Michael W

Watching the highlights of the QotS game, Berra is the main culprit for their winner but Dick is culpable too, he's on his heels not expecting a pass and then manages to get back only to get done by the attacker. Poor defending all round.

FWIW I think theirs was a justifiable penalty but our looks like it hits McKay in the face.

25 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Watching the highlights of the QotS game, Berra is the main culprit for their winner but Dick is culpable too, he's on his heels not expecting a pass and then manages to get back only to get done by the attacker. Poor defending all round.

FWIW I think theirs was a justifiable penalty but our looks like it hits McKay in the face.

The Rovers penalty was a stonewaller, it definitely hit McKay's hand and there's a clear photo of it on the official website

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Getting pissed off with this fannying about between defenders and keepers playing tippy tappy balls.  It seems unfortunately this is the new way of playing.  Not just the Rovers doing it.
How many goals does this cause?  Why not the old fashioned way of either play it out of defence, or route one it?  
McGrymms team last season were bad for it.

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

3 hours ago, renton said:

Agreed, he should be brought back in slowly. Not chucked back into starting games. That probably means us needing two forward players and two CBs to come in.

I felt last season when he came back he was rushed back too quickly and just chucked into the starting 11 if I’m correct he started most pre season and the first 4 league games and most of the cup ties, that’s a lot of football for someone just back.

hopefully Murray and Aggy does the right thing and gradually integrate him back in 

1 hour ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Getting pissed off with this fannying about between defenders and keepers playing tippy tappy balls.  It seems unfortunately this is the new way of playing.  Not just the Rovers doing it.
How many goals does this cause?  Why not the old fashioned way of either play it out of defence, or route one it?  
McGrymms team last season were bad for it.

Because we don't have the personnel to play that way. Who would you 'route one it' to exactly? We don't have some big target man to aim for.  I'm willing to cut Berra/Dick a bit of slack with regards to Queens 2nd goal. It was a sloppy pass from Berra and Dick was also not anticipating it but it's a 'newish' position for Dick who'll need to build up a better understanding with Berra if he's going to be a starter at centre back. If we can iron out these niggles before the competitive game starts then great. 

Berra woefully short with the pass, but once again this passing back and forth around our own penalty area was our undoing, as for the game itself another good workout highlighting what we already knew

And the gaffers interviews are like a breath of fresh air, he knows what hes doing and knows whats required

It'll be interesting to see how Vaughan is utilised by this manager. Will he be saved for certain games, will it depend on the surface we're playing on or will Murray play him in a different role?

24 minutes ago, pub car king said:

It'll be interesting to see how Vaughan is utilised by this manager. Will he be saved for certain games, will it depend on the surface we're playing on or will Murray play him in a different role?

What like CB? 😂

32 minutes ago, pub car king said:

If its gonna happen to him again, it'll not matter what surface he plays on, just hope this is the last if his injury woes I certainly wouldn't want him playing the full 90mins for a good while after his return though.