The New Raith Rovers Thread

He maybe has never been the main striker before was he not classed as a wide player at hibs ? He definitely plays better in a 2 than as a solo striker 
I think that's the problem with gullan. He obviously has talent but no one has figured out what his best position is or how to use him effectively.

16 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Been going too long said:
He maybe has never been the main striker before was he not classed as a wide player at hibs ? He definitely plays better in a 2 than as a solo striker 

I think that's the problem with gullan. He obviously has talent but no one has figured out what his best position is or how to use him effectively.

Teaming him with Vaughan would seem to be the best we’ve see, so that favors him in a two up top or ST/SS pairing…something Murray doesn’t seem enamored of based upon his time at Airdrie.

19 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I agree bud 

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Teaming him with Vaughan would seem to be the best we’ve see, so that favors him in a two up top or ST/SS pairing…something Murray doesn’t seem enamored of based upon his time at Airdrie.

If in a 4-2-3-1 illegal could play in the 3 behind or Murray’s plan is to persevere and coach him into being a cf , time will tell 

Was that not only for 2/3 games? Granted one was the 5-1 demolition of the city folk but I can't really remember any other games where he's looked the part in that role either.

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:
10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Was that not only for 2/3 games? Granted one was the 5-1 demolition of the city folk but I can't really remember any other games where he's looked the part in that role either.

Unfortunately, yes…2/3 games is all we seem to see of Vaughan these days. Let’s just hope that they’ve figured out a way he can play and not do it again! What I do recall about Jamie is him looking comfortable sweeping in from just wide of the D and shooting, while he often (not always, I know) simply seems to disappear in the goal mouth stramash.

1 minute ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

Jamie Gullan has only looked good when we were in league 1 or when up top with Vaughan, but imagine most players look better in those situations 

Who can’t look good with this cantering alone beside him, 😍😍😍

image.thumb.jpeg.89dc024836966d4c5dae976fdc1cc47e.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

Jamie Gullan has only looked good when we were in league 1 or when up top with Vaughan, but imagine most players look better in those situations 

We all know that’s rubbish. Gullan was awesome in the championship the season before last. Hardly League 1

1 minute ago, baillieinleeds said:

We all know that’s rubbish. Gullan was awesome in the championship the season before last. Hardly League 1

His only good games were against Alloa and the Pars when we played the diamond with him and Vaughan up front and Kai Kennedy playing off them

23 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Who can’t look good with this cantering alone beside him, 😍😍😍

image.thumb.jpeg.89dc024836966d4c5dae976fdc1cc47e.jpegI feel so sorry for this amazing talent. He deserves so much better for his life. The injuries he’s sustained has been utterly utterly unfair. 

1 minute ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

His only good games were against Alloa and the Pars when we played the diamond with him and Vaughan up front and Kai Kennedy playing off them

Each to their own mate. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree. He has been at best decent beyond a hand full of games above league 1 level. Again though, I think that's largely because no one can figure out where to actually play him to get the best out of him.

2 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

The Queens penalty reminds me of a similar one in the mid 90's V St Johnstone where Shaun Dennis slid in the box and it hit his arm. All these years later and I'm still unsure as how you can slide tackle with your arms by your side 🤔

Add 3 new signings (CB, LB & CF) and we will look a completely different team to just now, include Lang and Vaughan and we are a right good team with depth.
Let's not slash our pants over a friendly.
At the same time if we're pinning our hopes on Vaughan and lang after acl injuries then we might struggle. In an ideal world we get two cbs, a lb and a St.

I know it’s not nice to discuss it really but this is surely Lewis’ last shot at being a professional footballer? As much as we all love him and want nothing more than to see him put his injury hell behind him… the odds aren’t in his favour and Murray would be foolish to be pinning much hope on Vaughan playing an integral roll to our season.

Lang hopefully comes good but again, even if he is to get back to 100%, it isn’t going to happen overnight once he gets the green light to play again so we certainly need two new CB’s. Remember Berra struggled himself last season with one or two knocks and isn’t getting any younger either.

It seems year on year we have the worst luck with injuries. To hear Spencer and Matthews are out for months too now is just shit.

We clearly need one or two strikers in, expect they might be be from the loan route…

Our recent injury woes - Spencer again and Matthews - make me wonder again about something someone said earlier. If Spencer's injury is described by Murray as something which should probably have been looked at earlier, and Matthews needed surgery on a problem which was bothering him last season and no-one got to the bottom of, it arguably points a finger at our management of injury and recovery under McGlynn's reign. That in itself points toward training intensity, frequency etc, and I just wonder if some of our notorious bad luck wasn't at least in part, self inflicted. Be interesting to see how we fare this season, and how Falkirk compare.