The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Do you think Paterson will end up signing for Raith? From the outside it seems a bit odd that Murray’s had him on trial for a few weeks and has only used him sparingly in friendlies when he knows him pretty well from last season and must have a fair idea of whether he’s good enough to step up. We still don’t have a left back and I suspect Paterson would be pretty high up our list of options there if he’s still available.

The fact we even have him on trial at all is odd I think considering Murray had him all last season. 

I don't think we'll sign him. 

Did someone not say they were standing next to Patersons parents at the Dunbar game and they said he has a few offers on the table to mull over? Unless he's picked up a knock I'd have guessed he'd have been in the team last night as there's absolutely no way Murray can, or should, be considering Young as our first choice left back. It'll just be our luck that a local boy utilises our training facilities, gets some minutes pre season and plumps to sign for someone else. 

Edited by Raithie

12 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Did someone not say they were standing next to Patersons parents at the Dunbar game and they said he has a few offers on the table to mull over? Unless he's picked up a knock I'd have guessed he'd have been in the team last night as there's absolutely no way Murray can, or should, be considering Young as our first choice left back. It'll just be our luck that a local boy utilises our training facilities, gets some minutes pre season and plumps to sign for someone else. 

I know someone who knows Brody and he has a couple of offers down south but if he signs in Scotland it will be with us apparently, I think it’s probably more likely Murray is seeing if dick can play cb even sometimes. The other trialist last night was Kareem isiaka who played Icelandic 2nd division last season and came through charlton youth academy 

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I know someone who knows Brody and he has a couple of offers down south but if he signs in Scotland it will be with us apparently, I think it’s probably more likely Murray is seeing if dick can play cb even sometimes. The other trialist last night was Kareem isiaka who played Icelandic 2nd division last season and came through charlton youth academy 

Folks, we've got a highlight reel! 

As always, totally impossible to tell anything from that, but at least there's something new to speculate about. 

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Ah fair enough, I knew he was from Kirkcaldy so training there made sense but it seemed strange that Murray had him on trial for so long without signing him when he already knows him pretty well. If he does have other offers to consider then that makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Ah fair enough, I knew he was from Kirkcaldy so training there made sense but it seemed strange that Murray had him on trial for so long without signing him when he already knows him pretty well. If he does have other offers to consider then that makes sense.

Yeah definitely and it would have been good to see him in action last night tbh 

3 minutes ago, Langtounlaud said:

Might explain why he was happy to sign on…

I heard this news at Dunbar on Saturday, real kick in the stones. Good news is Brown looks more than capable at the base of midfield.

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I heard this news at Dunbar on Saturday, real kick in the stones. Good news is Brown looks more than capable at the base of midfield.

Thought he played well. Wasn't afraid to go in for a tackle anyway 

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Would it maybe explain why Ben Williamson was at the game last night? Maybe a short term loan, I doubt it myself probably just catching up with the boys and at a loose end.

Would it maybe explain why Ben Williamson was at the game last night? Maybe a short term loan, I doubt it myself probably just catching up with the boys and at a loose end.
Pretty sure he's from Dunfermline so it'll be the latter part. I think he'll be a good loan signing for a club at our level. Certainly did better than some of the players we've had from Rangers before.

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

Hope not given the number of midfielders we have and the glaring issues elsewhere in the team. 

Well that's Matthews out and now Spencer for three months as well. 

Might need to revise my view. 

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Well that's Matthews out and now Spencer for three months as well. 

Might need to revise my view. 

Yeah but at the same time, we’ve let 3 CBs go and haven’t even brought one back in…

Murray must have a loan agreement set up in principle or something. Can’t go into the start of the season with Liam Dick and Christophe Berra at CB. Just a no. 

Thought Queens looked more up for it than us, not sure if it was because we had played at the weekend or not, but their front two chased and harried out defence all match. 

In terms of new players, Easton and Brown I thought both looked decent additions. Jury out on Millen but it’s one kick about, so not too worried.

Greig Young just needs games to build experience up but probably wouldn’t have him as first choice LB.

Zanatta has just carried on from second half of last season, he gets no joy out of the full back so doesn’t do anything for the rest of the match…looked 100 times better with Connolly on the pitch. Probably because he’s so much better than Zanatta to behind with…like one of our best players. 

Patterson being in the stand is a weird one, he’s either signing and didn’t want to play and risking injury before penning a deal, or he did actually pick up a knock at the weekend and didn’t want to play as he’s still in the shop window technically. 

Can only agree with everyone before even a ball was kicked that we desperately need a striker and a couple of CBs as absolute priority. 

In fairness I think Murray is only responsible for Benedictus and Musonda. McKay I suspect had already decided to go and signed up for QoS quite quickly. That may simply have been a result of McGlynn's next season planning that ultimately didn't happen.

As I said last night, there was no real tempo to Rovers game. I think that's more to do with trying to get up to speed as it's not like the Dunbar will really have stretched legs. Some people tend to assume that two teams playing a friendly will have the same relative merits as the same two teams playing a competititve fixture, as if there is a fixed offset. That isn't the case and it's only once you get guys up to match fitness that you'll start to see the merits of these guys.

Having said that, it's obvious we need to sort the defence and up front. In midfield, despite injuries to Spencer and Matthews I feel like Stanton, Brown and Arnott should be more than good enough to cover the sitting midfield roles, with Easton able to sit further back as well.  I thought both new guys showed signs of being pretty decent. You can see that Easton is a clever player with lots of good touches and makes the right runs - yeah, some heavy passing in there last night but I do think he'll be pivotal. Brown looks like he'll add precence in the middle - good tackling and tends to keep it simple. We do need to get more out of Stanton this season. Last season he looked tidy and technical without really seeming to make anything positive happen.

Gullan isn't a number 9, yet he was making some clever runs in behind. Was interesting that I felt the wingers spent less time inverted than under McGlynn, which really puts more emphasis on Easton in the '10' role and the main striker to keep hold of the ball - and that's not Gullan's game. I still think he's a decent player, and is way out in front of Zanatta for me in terms of starting or even featuring in a game. Connolly provided a far better attacking outlet for the time he was on. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet every week - just a great engine and always willing to drag the ball forward.

Leaving the wingers on their natural sides also lessens the need for full backs to get forward as much to provide width. Not sure if that's led to Millen signing or as a consequence of him signing alongside Dick that Murray expects his back 4 to sit in deeper.

Guys like Ross and Stanton looked pretty rusty last night - we know he's got a lot more to give than that.

It's frustrating that we haven't managed to fill at least one of the empty berths that Murray himself knows he needs to fill. We just have to be patient and treat the friendlies for what they are: Fitness exercises.

3 hours ago, Langtounlaud said:

Bit of a blow, but this bit from Murray seems to suggest it's something we've known about but he's not had treatment for it, despite being out for a fair wee while last season with his broken leg.  You'd have thought they'd have treated both at the same time but I wonder if they ignored the foot injury hoping he'd back from his broken leg quicker than he was.

"I think it's something that's been bothering Brad for some time.

“It's a metatarsal problem that he's had and he had to get a pin in it just to hold it together.

“So he had to get an operation last week which has been a success. It's a fairly standard one.

“He probably should have had it a while ago, but the demands of football are hard on players and staff so he had to play and it's caught up with him.