The New Raith Rovers Thread

We were comfortably a better team until Easton came off. Still no idea why they got a penalty. There's two main issues which everyone can see, but no doubt folk will start speculating about relegation because we don't address them even though we're a fortnight off our first competitive game. We looked excellent at getting the ball into the final third only to then run out of ideas. This is much the same as last season. Defensively, it's clear that we need at least one, if not two, new centre halves. 

Brown was solid enough until Easton went off, at which point we didn't have a linchpin in the team. Stanton didn't have a great game but I'd not look into it too much. Ethan Ross looked more like his regular self. It wouldn't surprise me if Mitchell plays himself into contention to be a regular feature this season based on his cameo - he had a lot of good touches. Overall, I couldn't give a f**k about the result, and the most important thing is fitness. 

I have no idea how anyone could watch that run out by the trialist and think that he was impressive. Mitchell looked 10 times as dangerous but was on the pitch half the time. 

As others have said, that game just highlighted the problems we already knew about. We knock the ball about well at times and put together some nice passages of play but we have no focal point up front and lack a cutting edge.

We are also woefully short at the back until Lang returns. Hopefully that tonight puts an end to any thought that signing Paterson is the way to go defensively. 

Of the new signings Brown was the best by a fair bit I thought. Looks a good player, air shot excepted. Easton showed some nice touches but poor decision making at times and gave the ball away in dangerous areas a couple of times. Not wholly convinced by him based on tonight. Millen is a significant downgrade on Tumilty and we would probably have been better off keeping Musonda and playing him right back. 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Brown looks a pler and looks like he'll boot f**k out of folk left and right. Millen, hmm. Easton looks lively, always wanting the ball. Young, not for me. Dick at CB absolute no no. 

I’ve been saying about Liam Dick for months he’s a shite defender who can’t defend (I know the goal wasn’t is fault) but sometimes his positioning and awareness is awful and players are through on goal 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Nothing new to learn.  Sticking a number 9 on Gullans back won't cut it, nor will sticking Young at left back and playing Dick at centre half.  But isn't new information.

I think Gullan will benefit with another striker playing next too him and we all can see he can’t play up top on his own and looks lost 

9 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I’ve been saying about Liam Dick for months he’s a shite defender who can’t defend (I know the goal wasn’t is fault) but sometimes his positioning and awareness is awful and players are through on goal 

The first goal was Dick's fault. Not as bad as the howler for the second goal right enough. 

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The first goal was Dick's fault. Not as bad as the howler for the second goal right enough. 

What was the queens penalty given for ? Couldn’t really see from our angle and assumed was blocked by a hand. 

33 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Worst thing about tonight was McGuigan1978's new coat. A stramash!

I like that coat, but there’s no getting away from it, I’ve had some real negative feedback about it. It’ll need to stay in the house in the future. 

If Mitchell looks that impressive for our forward role, we’re in a world of hurt. He was the darling at Bo’ness, but was getting goals on speed and poor defending in the LL…God help us if that’s the best we can roll out most weeks. He really needs some seasoning via constant play at L1/L2 level, and I fear we’ll use him sparingly and neglect his development this year if we keep him at SP.

Did Big Dave play for QoS?

Suprised to see a few saying young was poor, I thought the young lad did well in whats clearly not a balanced defence. the lads just turned 18 and is still very much learning the game IMO him, Arron Arnott and Kieran Mitchell look like they will have decent careers. 

On the game its self I thought Rovers were decent (defensive howler aside), Queens Squad seemed further advanced in both preparation and numbers. We played alot more football in the oppositions half rather than our own. Still alot of issues to be addressed. we lacked a bit of width and getting some strikes off earlier rather than overplaying it. 

Edited by Hadji

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If Mitchell looks that impressive for our forward role, we’re in a world of hurt. He was the darling at Bo’ness, but was getting goals on speed and poor defending in the LL…God help us if that’s the best we can roll out most weeks. He really needs some seasoning via constant play at L1/L2 level, and I fear we’ll use him sparingly and neglect his development this year if we keep him at SP.

Did Big Dave play for QoS?

He was very quick and direct and got in behind them a couple of times. I would be worried if that was our full team out there but it wasn’t nowhere near it and we will add to the squad. Murray wasn’t that fussed about winning the game obviously given changes etc he wanted minutes for the players and to try a couple of things like young at LB and Gullan as CF. 

6 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Suprised to see a few saying young was poor, I thought the young lad did well in whats clearly not a balanced defence. the lads just turned 18 and is still very much learning the game IMO him, Arron Arnott and Kieran Mitchell look like they will have decent careers. 

On the game its self I thought Rovers were decent (defensive howler aside), Queens Squad seemed further advanced in both preparation and numbers. We played alot more football in the oppositions half rather than our own. Still alot of issues to be addressed. we lacked a bit of width and getting some strikes off earlier rather than overplaying it. 

Totally agree with you bud 

Do you think Paterson will end up signing for Raith? From the outside it seems a bit odd that Murray’s had him on trial for a few weeks and has only used him sparingly in friendlies when he knows him pretty well from last season and must have a fair idea of whether he’s good enough to step up. We still don’t have a left back and I suspect Paterson would be pretty high up our list of options there if he’s still available.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Do you think Paterson will end up signing for Raith? From the outside it seems a bit odd that Murray’s had him on trial for a few weeks and has only used him sparingly in friendlies when he knows him pretty well from last season and must have a fair idea of whether he’s good enough to step up. We still don’t have a left back and I suspect Paterson would be pretty high up our list of options there if he’s still available.

Someone said he was at the game tonight, maybe carrying a knock 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Notting odd about it. Brody lives in Kirkcaldy, Worked with the manager so he may well be training with us out of convenience. 

then again he may well be our starting left back this comming season... time will tell.