The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Been going too long said:

But we aren’t going to have Lang until October at the earliest, may break down again🤷🏻‍♂️ Berra had a bad injury last season who knows how he will be given his age. Right now at this minute we are bare in defence unless we play a centre mid there( brown) left back there ( your best pal 😜) or an untried kid in Masson who played at Thornton last season. Not great yeah we will get by on Saturday but be interesting to see how we do v Queens next week

Oh, I agree…but when/if Lang comes back, he would start over McKay or Bene, at least, and probably Musonda.  Instead, each is now starting for another team.

As for bare, Connolly at RB or Ross at LB would indicate we’re down to the nubs.

Murray a wee bit contradictory in his FFP interview, initially cites a lack of goals then mentions losing goals at the other end. Both are true but it’s the latter that’s was the greater issue imo.

Bene’s time was up and good as he was both he and Rovers needed a change. Lang is a good player but as said we won’t be seeing him for a while (same with LV and RM). McKay  I would have kept, a decent ball player but for his size he was just not physical enough and didn’t dominate opponents, this was a factor that apparently annoyed the coaches. Berra I have no qualms about, his injury last season was mainly down to his coming together with Bene in the ICT farce. Dick (and Tumilty) though good going forward were not so hot defensively and partly responsible for that awful goals against tally.

Broadfoot? Experienced yes but another old man and his actions towards rovers player and fans in the 3-2 game render him unforgivable, f**k him! Euan Murray? Decent in the air but almost completely useless with attackers running at him, caught out time and again with Rovers, Pars and Killie.

Hopefully the manager has something up his sleeve, other than his arm!

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

Dick (and Tumilty) though good going forward were not so hot defensively and partly responsible for that awful goals against tally.

Not sure I’d agree on that. Tumilty was very much the swashbuckling wingback, and cause no little fear when he was called upon to defend. Dick, has never looked entirely comfortable driving forward, and too often is just unable to reach a cross or get a ball over the goal mouth. When back in defence, Dick looks reasonably comfortable, and wasn’t the bomb scare Tumilty was.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Not sure I’d agree on that. Tumilty was very much the swashbuckling wingback, and cause no little fear when he was called upon to defend. Dick, has never looked entirely comfortable driving forward, and too often is just unable to reach a cross or get a ball over the goal mouth. When back in defence, Dick looks reasonably comfortable, and wasn’t the bomb scare Tumilty was.

I don’t recall Tumilty having to be subbed at half time though for being utterly absymal at defending in that 4-0 defeat at the hands of Ayr last season. 😂

Aye Dick looked very comfortable being torn to shreds by Jordan Houston and Mark McKenzie who were comfortably the worst right hand side of any team in the league last season.

11 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I don’t recall Tumilty having to be subbed at half time though for being utterly absymal at defending in that 4-0 defeat at the hands of Ayr last season. 😂

Aye, he was wildly bad that day. Some chat he was ill? If so he shouldn't have played.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, he was wildly bad that day. Some chat he was ill? If so he shouldn't have played.

Doesn’t excuse the fact he let the ball over his head for the first goal and totally lost track of his man, too far up the park for the 2nd goal and never really challenged for the ball, and gets done for the 3rd goal….. pish defender be good if we can get a upgrade this summer 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Bene’s time was up and good as he was both he and Rovers needed a change. Lang is a good player but as said we won’t be seeing him for a while (same with LV and RM). 

What's up with Matthews?

25 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Was Matthews not managing an injury pretty much all through last season? I think I remember McGlynn saying something to that effect during the season. 

Yeah, some sort of toe injury that no-one really knows what can be done about. 

Is he injured at the moment, though, is what I was getting at. Maybe I missed it bit I haven't seen anything about it. 

Edited by Michael W

I’ll hold off until we face the League cup matches before panicking about lack of players.  Of the players gone only Tumilty is a real loss for me but I think we all knew he’d be away regardless of what we offered. Bene was a good servant for us but seemed the right time to move for both parties, Musonda was a decent player but he was rarely first choice and McKay was back up at best. I’m sure Murray has some players lined up and we’ll hear more soon.  Saturday is a kick-about for fitness, yes it’d be nice to have all our business done for that game but it’s not essential.  

Edited by San Starko Rover

2 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Doesn’t excuse the fact he let the ball over his head for the first goal and totally lost track of his man, too far up the park for the 2nd goal and never really challenged for the ball, and gets done for the 3rd goal….. pish defender be good if we can get a upgrade this summer 

I was hoping we could have brought James Maxwell in as a starting LB tbh. 

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, some sort of toe injury that no-one really knows what can be done about. 

Is he injured at the moment, though, is what I was getting at. Maybe I missed it bit I haven't seen anything about it. 

Someone on here said they'd heard a couple of players had been for minor ops during the break and I think the assumption now is they were Vaughan and Matthews. 

55 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I thought Vaughn was due back fairly soon? 

11 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

FFP saying Vaughan underwent a minor operation which was unrelated to his ACL. It shouldn't need much rehab and that he should be back from it quite quickly and into training again.