The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Masson, perhaps? He’s not untested, he’s raw as uncooked dough…and that’s me saying that!I think he might have seen a bit of time with Thornton this spring, but he’d be so far out of his depth he’d need scuba gear.

I didn't know Thornton Hibs streamed their games last season.

Masson, perhaps? He’s not untested, he’s raw as uncooked dough…and that’s me saying that!I think he might have seen a bit of time with Thornton this spring, but he’d be so far out of his depth he’d need scuba gear.
No offence tx but I'm not taking spelling lessons from someone who spells colour, color. However I do agree, I was just stating he's an option and I reckon he will play against Dunbar.

26 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I didn't know Thornton Hibs streamed their games last season.

You just gotta have a friend with Facebook Live, eh?

20 minutes ago, grumswall said:
30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No offence tx but I'm not taking spelling lessons from someone who spells colour, color. However I do agree, I was just stating he's an option and I reckon he will play against Dunbar.

I know, and it’ll be good to see him in action. As for spelling, I got points off for using the “u” and spelling “wagon” as “waggon” in fifth grade (Year Six) after emigrating, so it’s engrained. At least I don’t parade around in a budgie smuggler though!

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Were you watching Rovers and Thornton games at the same time on Saturdays?

I swore off the Rovers for a bit, remember. Still haven’t decided if I’ll pony up to Raith TV if DG isn’t gone yet. Besides, phone, tablet, smart TV and computer, eh?

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

remember

No.

None the less, football clubs don't cut loose players on loan without a duty of care.

McGlynn will have had reporting in place to provide professional feedback and development of the club's investment, were you tapped up for this role by any chance?

I know, and it’ll be good to see him in action. As for spelling, I got points off for using the “u” and spelling “wagon” as “waggon” in fifth grade (Year Six) after emigrating, so it’s engrained. At least I don’t parade around in a budgie smuggler though!
Pics or it didn't happen...

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:
14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Pics or it didn't happen...

That’s you on the end, right?

image.thumb.jpeg.1cbb6c5fe2d2915a7da7ac7b5afc255b.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

No.

None the less, football clubs don't cut loose players on loan without a duty of care.

McGlynn will have had reporting in place to provide professional feedback and development of the club's investment, were you tapped up for this role by any chance?

I wish, only got retired late last year!

Starting to look like our 1st likely starting line-up could be:

MacDonald, Millen, Young, Berra, Dick, Brown, Spencer, Stanton, Gullan, Easton, Ross, 

Would expect there to be at least a couple of trialists included on the bench with Thomson, Conolly, Zanatta, Arnott, Coulston, Mitchell, Masson and Mahady.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:

Musonda confirmed at Ayr. Murray better have players in his mind for the centre of our defence as he has let two perfectly good defenders leave.

I think calling Benedictus "perfectly good" may be stretching it bit. 

I dunno, I know I keep banging on this drum but a lot of folk seemed happy to re-sign the entire defence that last season leaked like a seive. 

Now, obviously defending isn't just something that happens in the first third of the pitch, and likely McGlynn's latter day method of pushing his full backs up would leave us quite open on the counter but there was still a lot of examples of us not defending the box very well. A lot of individual errors as well.

Of the four defenders who played for us and were out of contract: Tumilty I wanted to keep but was fairly sure we wouldn't. Musonda, based on that season, rather than his first 6 months or so I wasn't really fussed one way or the other. Benedictus I was hoping would go as he looked well past his best and Mackie was no better than Dick, who also isn't very good.

A rebuild isn't the worst idea in the world. Obviously there is a risk in twisting rather than sticking, and I may yet be eating Mt words when we sign the second coming of Ross Perry. The issue with our half and half season, our 5th place finish is that you can adequately make the case for any player to be 'good enough' to keep around.

However, even when we were doing well last season we leaked goals for fun. I think bringing in Brown to give us an extra tackler in midfield should help, but we shouldn't be adverse to the notion of trying something new. Understandable that the frustration is that nothing has happened at all since last Tuesday.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-murray-presses-point-in-pre-season-3742389

no new signings this week and tbh disappointed in his choice of words regarding new players, we need a striker and 2 x centre backs or we will be in trouble imo . It is a long window  but you might be left with the dross or banking on some 19 year old loanee🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Been going too long

I think calling Benedictus "perfectly good" may be stretching it bit. 
I dunno, I know I keep banging on this drum but a lot of folk seemed happy to re-sign the entire defence that last season leaked like a seive. 
Now, obviously defending isn't just something that happens in the first third of the pitch, and likely McGlynn's latter day method of pushing his full backs up would leave us quite open on the counter but there was still a lot of examples of us not defending the box very well. A lot of individual errors as well.
Of the four defenders who played for us and were out of contract: Tumilty I wanted to keep but was fairly sure we wouldn't. Musonda, based on that season, rather than his first 6 months or so I wasn't really fussed one way or the other. Benedictus I was hoping would go as he looked well past his best and Mackie was no better than Dick, who also isn't very good.
A rebuild isn't the worst idea in the world. Obviously there is a risk in twisting rather than sticking, and I may yet be eating Mt words when we sign the second coming of Ross Perry. The issue with our half and half season, our 5th place finish is that you can adequately make the case for any player to be 'good enough' to keep around.
However, even when we were doing well last season we leaked goals for fun. I think bringing in Brown to give us an extra tackler in midfield should help, but we shouldn't be adverse to the notion of trying something new. Understandable that the frustration is that nothing has happened at all since last Tuesday.
For me Bene is competent squad player that we know. Musonda was played out of position or he wasn't good enough in his prefered position so he was used as a utility player. We will never know.

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm starting to think that Murray is unaware that Tom Lang is actually injured and will be for some time yet.

It's the only reason I can think of for his somewhat laid back approach to signing a centre back.

Exactly plus Berra was basically missing most of the 2 nd half of the season, don’t like this laid back approach of something will happen at all , the old saying of a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush springs to mind 

Have to trust the manager.  A lack of rumours does not automatically equate to a lack of business or progress.  

It is a fair point that our defence was horrendous at times, so losing 2 centre backs is not necessarily the worst thing - but its all about the quality of new recruits.