The New Raith Rovers Thread

As disappointing as it is, I can't blame Frankie for moving on. He's still a reasonably young player with good potential, who's had rotten luck with injuries and probably needs a full season playing regularly in the same position to get back on an even keel - which it seems there's no guarantee we'd have been able to offer. He got injured at perhaps the worst possible time in his first season for us. If he hadn't had that fairly serious injury before the play-offs, I genuinely think he'd have been off to a Premier team. As it was, by the time he came back Berra and Lang had established themselves as the first choice centre-back pairing, and he was always going to struggle to compete with Benedictus for game time, what with Bene being the captain. He then ended up being moved around and asked to fill in across the back line in all manner of formations. This is never an ideal way to recapture your form - let alone stand out - in a team that are leaking goals and struggling for results.

As others have said, though, we'll never know what's happened behind the scenes and what we did/didn't offer Frankie. All I can say is good luck to him (except when playing us) and let's hope we see him starring for Zambia in the Africa Cup of Nations soon.

Edited by Kuma Power
Typo

I would have kept Frankie and, unless there were budget issues such as the cost of a flat coming into play, I'd be quite surprised if the likes of MacDonald and Berra didn't recommend to Murray that he was worth keeping.

He has had his injury issues (as comes with the territory for a Rovers player it seems) and he's also going to be missing games through international duty now, so there is that. 

It's a big call regardless and with us seemingly nowhere near signing anyone for that position it's a bit worrying. 

Thos league is not exactly over run with good defenders who can play in a number of positions. So on the face of it with our current and very obvious lack of options at the back this is an act of self harm to let him go to Ayr. 

On the other hand perhaps Murray wants a complete rebuild at the back owing to how shite we were last year. Mackie gone back to parent club but was available, Bene gone, Musonda gone, McKay gone, Tumilty gone ultimately but it was on his terms and I'd have bent over backwards to keep him. Which leaves us with Lang who is under contract and in rehab so he's going nowhere,  Berra who despite his age was one of our best players last year and will likely wind down his playing time to concentrate on the coaching and Dick who is inder contract and in all truth nobody will batter down the door to sign him. 

I trust the manager has a plan, the prompt signing of Millen points to that as well as the interest in Patterson. 

Frankie signing for someone else only appears a problem until we sign defenders to replace those who have gone. Wait until we know the replacements before making judgement. Frankie is a likeable guy but let’s be honest he was a utility player for us and if we had all our players fit every week  then how often would he have made the starting 11? Not very often, It was great that he could play various positions , but for me a Jack of all trades but not a master of any for us when everyone else was fit. I wish him well though - and hope that Murray has some suitable replacements to announce - soon !

The biggest problem musonda had at us was his injury at the end of the covid season. He didn't get a pre season under his belt and subsequently couldn't nail down a regular start. He was moved around constantly but bar a couple of games never really let us down. I worry lang might struggle because of not getting a proper pre season under his belt as well, even if he is a fitness freak (for lack of a better term). We really do need two good cbs to come in now. We've got a couple of players who can play there at a push and Mason, who is untested. We need players who are tested at this or a similar level for the first game against cove at least though.

1 hour ago, Alyn Stevenson said:

Was it not in FFP at the start of the month that both Musonda and Tumilty made it clear they wanted to move on? No idea if that decision was made because the offer wasn’t good enough or if he didn’t want any offer from us.

I went back and checked it the other day, and Murray's comments were a little contradictory. He said something like "Frankie's looking elsewhere... And sometimes it's good to make some changes, so you can improve." which gave me the impression that Frankie's departure was much more in the control of the club than Tumilty's was. 

The proof will be in the pudding, but I think this is a mistake. Ultimately, we can compete with Ayr for players. If Musonda does well there and we let him go, it's on Murray. 

Just now, Against The Machine said:

I went back and checked it the other day, and Murray's comments were a little contradictory. He said something like "Frankie's looking elsewhere... And sometimes it's good to make some changes, so you can improve." which gave me the impression that Frankie's departure was much more in the control of the club than Tumilty's was. 

The proof will be in the pudding, but I think this is a mistake. Ultimately, we can compete with Ayr for players. If Musonda does well there and we let him go, it's on Murray. 

Chances are he will do just fine. Maybe better than with us, maybe worse but likely around the median of a half decent championship defender. 

Ultimately you can't just hoard all the good players to yourself so there is always a liklihood that someone you let go, will go on and do fine elsewhere - yet I think in the quest to make ourselves better then inevitably change comes with that.

Is it different from Benedictus because he isn't as good and also went outside the division? Has Murray strengthened the cause of Ayr over taking us by being short sighted? f**k knows, but it's a team sport and I don't suddenly think we are in more danger of relegation than before. 

Difficult to believe a new manager coming in didnt, have words/discussion with every player

Also in the would have kept Musonda camp but hey ho,new era now and pretty sure Murray will have his own ideas regards central defenders and defence in general

I know it's the done thing at this time of the year but I feel that some are getting a bit carried away about Musonda leaving without having a clue what has gone down. 

If he's been advised that he isn't wanted then that's up to the gaffer to adequately replace him. 

If he's advised that he doesn't want to stay then we're better looking for someone who wants to be here. 

We'll be sorted for the beginning of the season I'm sure. 

Until Lang gets fit, is that just Berra as the last remaining centre half?

It’s all very well folk saying they’re not that fussed about Bene or Musonda leaving, but unless we are getting in someone at least as good or better, then we’re struggling.

I want someone who can put a tackle in and who is reliable, maybe like Devine, but I’m assuming Inverness pay better than us.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Masson as well. I hope to never have to see devine in a rovers strip. Don't rate him one bit.

Ginger boy that fouls people a lot is good too. Think he’s a midfielder though. Carson?

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

We really do need two good cbs to come in now. We've got a couple of players who can play there at a push and Mason, who is untested. We need players who are tested at this or a similar level for the first game against cove at least though.

Masson, perhaps? He’s not untested, he’s raw as uncooked dough…and that’s me saying that!I think he might have seen a bit of time with Thornton this spring, but he’d be so far out of his depth he’d need scuba gear.