The New Raith Rovers Thread

Thought the season ticket video was excellent. The second family featured are Stark’s Park regulars. The Foys have been coming for years and are part of the fabric of the club. Only disappointing thing about that video is the folk on Twitter criticising folk in it because they spoke out against the Goodwillie signing. Seems that they think they are better, purer fans for supporting any shit decision by the club. Weird behaviour by grown adults. 

Edited by roverthemoon

7 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Thought the season ticket video was excellent. The second family featured are Stark’s Park regulars. The Foys have been coming for years and are part of the fabric of the club. Only disappointing thing about that video is the hard men on Twitter criticising folk in it because they spoke out against the Goodwillie signing. Seems that they think they are better, purer fans for supporting any shit decision by the club. Weird behaviour by grown adults. 

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I’m certainly not a hard man and I wasn’t so much criticising the video. But it was strange that they had two lads on it that only months before said they wouldn’t be back. I’m mates with a guy that still refuses to go back even though he is missing it badly, full respect for that, it wouldn’t be me though. I don’t think I’m a purer fan than others, but if you back to some of the tweets by people who was in that video then see what they were saying then I would say that was weird behaviour by grown adults. 

16 minutes ago, Daz80 said:

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I’m certainly not a hard man and I wasn’t so much criticising the video. But it was strange that they had two lads on it that only months before said they wouldn’t be back. I’m mates with a guy that still refuses to go back even though he is missing it badly, full respect for that, it wouldn’t be me though. I don’t think I’m a purer fan than others, but if you back to some of the tweets by people who was in that video then see what they were saying then I would say that was weird behaviour by grown adults. 

Just because people were upset by the clubs actions a few months ago doesn’t mean that they feel any less passionate about supporting them. You’d have been hard pressed to have found many fans who weren’t pissed off at the time. Some were just more vocal than others.

It's OK for people to change their minds. It's not weird.

21 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, Daz80 said:

It's OK for people to change their minds. It's not weird.

This. 100%. People reflect on things and change their view. 

Also, through it all I can’t really recall many people saying a definitive they would never ever be back. A handful at most. Certainly don’t recall anyone in the video saying it. A lot of folk said they didn’t want to support a team that had Goodwillie in it or that the whole farce dented their enthusiasm for going to the Rovers. Fair enough, it did mine too and probably still does. That’s very different to saying I’m never going back. 

The whole video was about what brings us together as Rovers fans. Just seemed odd that some saw that as an opportunity to have a pop at other supporters. Anyway, it was excellent from Raith TV. Look forward to more of that type of stuff. 

10 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Thought the season ticket video was excellent. The second family featured are Stark’s Park regulars. The Foys have been coming for years and are part of the fabric of the club. Only disappointing thing about that video is the hard men on Twitter criticising folk in it because they spoke out against the Goodwillie signing. Seems that they think they are better, purer fans for supporting any shit decision by the club. Weird behaviour by 

I hear theres plans afoot for next season with a banner saying 

"👊 Raith Hard Men On Twitter 👊"

"Does the Hard man Roverthemoon fi P&B you want a square go?"

49 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Also, through it all I can’t really recall many people saying a definitive they would never ever be back.

Well there was, one person in the video for a start. It’s no big deal really, I’m actually glad they are back, the more the merrier.  But it’s you that started talking guff on here about hard men and people thinking they are better, purer fans. 

14 minutes ago, Hadji said:

I hear theres plans afoot for next season with a banner saying 

"👊 Raith Hard Men On Twitter 👊"

"Does the Hard man Roverthemoon fi P&B you want a square go?"

Actually in the process of getting made hadji. Added the word only after men just incase anyone wants to test out the statement. I need a get out clause. 

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Just because people were upset by the clubs actions a few months ago doesn’t mean that they feel any less passionate about supporting them. You’d have been hard pressed to have found many fans who weren’t pissed off at the time. Some were just more vocal than others.

Never said they were less passionate. Just found it weird who they asked to be in it. 

7 minutes ago, Daz80 said:

Never said they were less passionate. Just found it weird who they asked to be in it. 

Maybe that was part of the point. Fans who were critical of the club during the DG saga are being being won over again by the positive steps in the last few months.

I would put myself in that boat too. Haven't had a season ticket since moving to Doune in 2014 (after having one for 20 years) and in February I wasn't even considering one for next season.  Changes at the club and the change of manager have me genuinely excited for what's ahead so I've bought season tickets for me and my 6 year old son (his first).  Sadly, nothing could convince his twin sister that going to football is a good idea.

13 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Maybe that was part of the point. Fans who were critical of the club during the DG saga are being being won over again by the positive steps in the last few months.

I would put myself in that boat too. Haven't had a season ticket since moving to Doune in 2014 (after having one for 20 years) and in February I wasn't even considering one for next season.  Changes at the club and the change of manager have me genuinely excited for what's ahead so I've bought season tickets for me and my 6 year old son (his first).  Sadly, nothing could convince his twin sister that going to football is a good idea.

Could well have been mate, I did think that, even Jim Foy was another that hadnt been at the club for years and years due to other things, but it’s good to see him back after all he has done for the club. 

8 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

That’s what I took to be the whole point of the video. That we’re all in this together regardless of what we think/thought of Goodwillie, Sim, the Board etc. That’s why people criticising the folk in it seemed strange. Although on reflection, maybe hard men wasn’t the right phrase to describe that. So more than happy to retract it. 

16 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Really like your post, I was initially surprised when I saw a lad who handed back his ticket, Jim who has been away for donkeys years and Shaughan who said enough was enough. The context was key and I read it as we are all tied to the club and the club is tied to us.

I saw that love for the club remains and that we can again move forward. Maybe that was the "editorial" brief. 

Great that "post" GW we can see this growth. For some it was he never plays, for some it will be get him off the books for some it will be I'm done. The club has to move on and a nice piece by the TV guys shows the doors open both ways.

Fair play to those that took part they will have weighed up getting pelters and helped anyway. Nice to see that Jim's family also remain fans. 

I never said “I won’t be back” as I knew fine well I would be. There was more than a fair bit of melodrama around the whole thing though. People made statements in the heat of the moment they didn’t stick to. I’m I bothered about it? Not really. Football fans are fickle though, who knew?

Changes have been made at the club, yes. I’m still not happy about the fact we’re indirectly paying DG’s wages, I’m not happy that certain people at the club remain in place but I’ve made peace with it. I’m a Raith Rovers supporter and it would take a lot for me to give that up.

I'm not seeing people who said "I'll never be back!" and then rocked up the next week with a blasé attitude kidding on it never happened. 

I think a lot of people agonised over their position at the time, laid out how they felt, and drew their own personal red lines. 

For me, and I think probably the majority, that was David Goodwillie's active involvement, which meant the initial U-turn started the walk back. For many, it'll be his employment, and they won't consider a return until that situation is finalised. And for some, it'll go beyond that and they won't feel comfortable to renew their association (if ever) until signification amends are made up to and including a change of ownership, which I can totally sympathise with. 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I'm not seeing people who said "I'll never be back!" and then rocked up the next week with a blasé attitude kidding on it never happened. 

Pretty much how it happened. 

I can't say I've seen any criticism of the video myself. I wasn't in the video, but said I'd not be back until he was gone. I'm comfortable with the steps taken, and while folk wanted wholesale change ultimately we're in a position where he never played for club and isn't training - the club are still in the process of negotiating his release quietly in the background. There's been change at the boardroom level, and while John Sim is still the kingmaker at the club everyone knew we'd not see a full change in ownership given how much leverage he holds. 

I've been hugely critical of the club's marketing in the past but they've really raised the bar recently. There's still plenty of people behind the scenes at the club who give me every reason to be optimistic about the direction we're going in.