The New Raith Rovers Thread

Macdonald is getting older, Thomson is injury prone. Bow leaving means we would need another 'keeper in if that is the case. I can't imagine Robbie is being binned. Coach and a good backup for the championship. Binning macdonald would be madness. It does tie in with what Murray said about the squad shrinking a bit though.

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Can I ask where you seen this about? Not seen anything to do with that and does that possibly mean Bow or Thomson are away? 

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Surely not? This doesn’t make a lick of sense. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Source for this madness?

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-recruit-ross-at-right-back-3734621

As well as the goalkeeper thing, his quote that we are "probably" light at centre back is mildly worrying. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-recruit-ross-at-right-back-3734621

As well as the goalkeeper thing, his quote that we are "probably" light at centre back is mildly worrying. 

Have those quotes just been lifted from one of his RaithTV interviews? They sound familiar.

The passage about the goalkeeper...

"Murray, previously at Airdrieonians, is also understood to be close to securing the services of another goalkeeper, who could supply back-up down the line for Jamie MacDonald and Robbie Thomson."

...makes it sound like it'll be a young keeper coming in, rather than a replacement for either MacDonald or Thomson. 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Have those quotes just been lifted from one of his RaithTV interviews? They sound familiar.

"Murray, previously at Airdrieonians, is also understood to be close to securing the services of another goalkeeper, who could supply back-up down the line for Jamie MacDonald and Robbie Thomson."

...makes it sound like it'll be a young keeper coming in, rather than a replacement for either MacDonald or Thomson. 

Quite possibly. These club TV videos do seem to provide most of the material for journos these days. 

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Sorry, from an outsider looking in, saying you're heavy in midfield having signed two midfielders in this window seems a strange comment. 

There is a bit of a thread running through Murray's interviews that maybe suggests that he isn't terribly keen on some of what he's inherited - several references to 'not wasting boys time' and getting 'boys game time, elsewhere'

It doesn't seem like he tried that hard to find an accommodation with either Musonda or Benedictus, either for football reasons or costs of both.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two guys who he attempted to move on. Not sure who, he went and re-signed Spencer, and has mentioned Stanton in previous interviews. The obvious one hanging our there would be Zanatta, in my opinion. He's brought in Easton, Ross is a talent with another two years on his contract (though perhaps he'll move on for money), Connolly is a fantastic worker - which seems up Murray's street.

not sure what will will happen with the midfield but if Easton and/or Brown are a better option than Mathews and/or Stanton we could see one or both being moved on for a fee ??,  if hes needing funds to bring in a CB or two, also bringing in another keeper means Bow must be out of the picture

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Murray did seem to like having a young keeper around as backup at Airdrie. We only had two keepers last season but every other season we had a young, inexperienced third choice and in 19/20 when we had a reserve team we had four keepers for some reason. I don't think it's the best use of budget but I suppose he'll probably be on a small wage anyway.

The midfield comment does seem strange though. Easton would be wasted out wide and Brown is a good box to box midfielder and those two, Spencer, Stanton, Matthews and Ross seems like a very strong group for central midfield but you'd probably need to play a diamond to fit most of them in at any given time, even accounting for injuries, and that leaves out Zanatta and Connolly too. Admittedly it seemed to be because he ostensibly built a squad to solely play 3-5-2 only to ditch that after one league game but we spent all of last season with literally no wingers in the squad. I think we had nine midfielders at one point and all of them were central players, albeit that included guys like Easton, Frizzell and Scott McGill who could drift or cover out wide. I wonder if Murray will end up doing something similar here.

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Starting to get the fear that it’s Ross  Matthews who will moved out.

No mention of him by the manager and a few tasty red cards from memory against Airdrie which Murray raged about at the time

I dunno. I like having two proper tacklers in the side. Feel like it will be Arnott that goes out on loan.