The New Raith Rovers Thread

I can’t think of many, if any, occasions where Berra got caught out of position and then got rinsed for pace last season. He’s too often in the right place and is deceptively quick, too. 

Agreed. Some people i think look at his age and write him off despite his performances and ability. Was also good to hear he performed among the best in the pre-season beep test. He definitely has plenty still left in the tank IMO.

Simply not true. He was outstanding against Nouble, who tore everyone else to shreds for pace and strength

You ever see Davie Weir play for Scotland? The 1-0 win against France at Hampden I was a 13 year old and said there’s no way he could play up against Henry. 

You quickly learn it’s all upstairs Philpy come on get with it 
The old thing about the 1st ten yards are in your head. That.

2 hours ago, philpy said:

Berra is good in the air, but put him up against someone a few yards quicker than him and he's fucked.

You can say that about any center half. By that same token If someone is a few  yards quicker than VVD then he would be fucked too🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by spot on

1 hour ago, RRFC1989 said:

Agreed. Some people i think look at his age and write him off despite his performances and ability. Was also good to hear he performed among the best in the pre-season beep test. He definitely has plenty still left in the tank IMO.

I think we need to manage him a bit better this season. McGlynn played him every match until he got suspended and then injured despite having opportunities to rest him.

I wouldn't be playing in every league cup group match and I definitely wouldn't be playing him in the Challenge Cup.

The thing with pace is, it also needs utilised by the attacker. I remember a poster referring to Mark Stewart while he played for Falkirk as playing like a speedboat with a driver, I couldn't agree more. 

It's all well and good having a good burst, but if you're not making good runs, staying onside etc then it's not much good is it? Likewise you also need the quality of service to then supply said runs. 

Berra might not be the quickest off the mark but he's got more than enough up top to compensate for that . 

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Anyone think we will see ✍️ Sign today by rovers socials? 

Murray did say a defender hopefully in Monday/Tuesday then another end of the week or start of next week, so it’s possible. I suspect that signing will be Patterson or a mystery central defender.

Edited by Enigma

He says in the Fife Today article that there were 3 trialists up for the start of training. One would presumably have been Millen, with another likely to be Paterson, but that does still leave a potential left field signing.

Millen
wasn’t a trialist. He was one of Murray’s main priority for signing

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Murray did say a defender hopefully in Monday/Tuesday then another end of the week or start of next week, so it’s possible. I suspect that signing will be Patterson or a mystery central defender.

Seen rumours on Facebook and Twitter saying it’s likely to be Patterson 

It certainly does sound like Murray was head-hunting Millen from the very beginning. Millen mentioned in his interview that it took a couple of weeks to get over the line, and there was a clip of the Scunthorpe gaffer talking about the move kicking off with Murray ringing to ask about Millen's availability. Doesn't seem like the kind of player you'd have quite that much desire for, but if Murray's that confident then hopefully that's a positive sign. 

On that basis I'd agree that Murray possibly wouldn't refer to him as a "trialist", and that's the interpretation I'm going with because it means there might be two mystery men to speculate about. 

The thing with pace is, it also needs utilised by the attacker. I remember a poster referring to Mark Stewart while he played for Falkirk as playing like a speedboat with a driver, I couldn't agree more. 
It's all well and good having a good burst, but if you're not making good runs, staying onside etc then it's not much good is it? Likewise you also need the quality of service to then supply said runs. 

Berra might not be the quickest off the mark but he's got more than enough up top to compensate for that . 

Oliver Burke might just be the epitome of this.

35 minutes ago, tiggerbounce said:

Millen
wasn’t a trialist. He was one of Murray’s main priority for signing

I suppose it depends on whether he was just using the term to describe anyone training with us who wasn't already signed or not.

At least it's something to speculate about I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I suppose it depends on whether he was just using the term to describe anyone training with us who wasn't already signed or not.

At least it's something to speculate about I suppose.

That statement is open to speculation.