The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Which is why I’m not sure we’re gonna sign a LB. If Murray isn’t planning a charging wingback routine, Dick will do fine and we have salary for another CB or ST.

And at CB he’s a potential, not a known factor, so you are exactly correct.

But is young good enough to be the competition for LB? Could he cope with an extended run in the team? I have my doubts at championship level but more confident of L1 or 2

7 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

But is young good enough to be the competition for LB? Could he cope with an extended run in the team? I have my doubts at championship level but more confident of L1 or 2

Young isn’t competition, he’s cover. I’d love to see him get a run at a L1 or 2 club, but we need to cover the LB position. If we sign another “starting” LB, we have the cover to loan Young, but we likely lose the ability to get an extra CB, or perhaps a ST. Is it worth it, since Dick has done well enough defensively? At this level  nearly everything is a trade-off, and Dick is the bird in the hand.

28 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I wish they'd update the players page to show that Tumilty, Musonda and Riley Snow are all away (or are they)

They seem to only remove a player once they've signed for a new club. It's a bit of a strange one. 

3 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

There is an argument that Liam Dick is a competent defender. He's far stronger in the tackle and in the air than Tumilty for example, who we all agree we like, so that side of his game, over the piece, wasn't disastrous.

That did make me wonder if maybe he could play at centre half, but from what I can see, across his entire career, he's only played there twice, both for us, where we conceded six goals in the process, so I can't say that filled me with much hope that he's our answer in there. 

Are you counting the diddy cup final? I seem to recall he played centre half that game before going off injured.

Nothing reported anywhere for him that I can see. I'm starting to wonder if he's looking for a team down south. 
I'm intrigued to see where he ends up. Pre season is starting for most clubs now. He must've had offers at least tabled given we tried to extend his contract, unless he's made a monumental f**k up.

50 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you counting the diddy cup final? I seem to recall he played centre half that game before going off injured.

Our defending was absolutely terrifying in the first half of that game. 

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Young isn’t competition, he’s cover. I’d love to see him get a run at a L1 or 2 club, but we need to cover the LB position. If we sign another “starting” LB, we have the cover to loan Young, but we likely lose the ability to get an extra CB, or perhaps a ST. Is it worth it, since Dick has done well enough defensively? At this level  nearly everything is a trade-off, and Dick is the bird in the hand.

We don’t know the budget but I don’t think he will have young as cover, I think he will sign another LB as Scott brown can cover RB and CB. Young looks a promising player and think a stint on loan will do him the world of good.

31 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Did berra only play on the left due to being the experienced player regardless of the defensive partner. 

No generally a left footed centre half will play on the right side and a right footer on the right hand side, to help with ball rotaton.

22 minutes ago, philpy said:

Berra is good in the air, but put him up against someone a few yards quicker than him and he's fucked.

I can’t think of many, if any, occasions where Berra got caught out of position and then got rinsed for pace last season. He’s too often in the right place and is deceptively quick, too. 

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Berra is good in the air, but put him up against someone a few yards quicker than him and he's fucked.

Simply not true. He was outstanding against Nouble, who tore everyone else to shreds for pace and strength

You ever see Davie Weir play for Scotland? The 1-0 win against France at Hampden I was a 13 year old and said there’s no way he could play up against Henry. 

You quickly learn it’s all upstairs Philpy come on get with it