The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, VinnyPar said:

I'd heard you lot were interested in Comrie but not sure how true that is giving he has a year left on his deal at us.

Swap deal for Millen…

5 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

I'd heard you lot were interested in Comrie but not sure how true that is giving he has a year left on his deal at us.

No doubt we would have had to at least match his wages and potentially pay some sort of nominal fee so I'm not surprised that any potential deal didn't happen. 

24 minutes ago, pub car king said:

So at the minute it's looking like berra and dick will be the centre backs with paterson potentiall signing for that first friendly.

While yet to go. 

While there may be a few negative reviews from his former clubs, I’d like to think Ian Murray, being a former defender and playing at a good level, would be more than qualified to spot a good defender. I’m more than happy to trust his judgment on this one.

I’d go as far as to say Murray is probably more likely to start himself at centre half next season than Liam Dick. Failing that it’ll be Scott Brown filling in until we get someone else in the door.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

So at the minute it's looking like berra and dick will be the centre backs with paterson potentiall signing for that first friendly.

Dick covering till Lang returns, until we get another CB in, looks distinctly probable.

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Steady you'll have Tx come on screaming telt yea, but its sure a distinct possibility

Telt yea. More honestly, I don’t mind Dick at LB if we aren’t expecting him bombing up the wing. He’s a solid enough defender, we’ll have to see if he can play CB. At 1.85m, he’s got the stature…and he’s played decent in the air for us. If we can convert him, and bring in another LB, we’ll have Berra, Lang, Dick, and whomever extra we get at CB to pick from, not a bad situation once Lang returns. With Masson apprenticing at CB, Young is the LB cover and Dick is RB and LB cover. We could still see two CB’s in, if Murray isn’t convinced that Dick can cover CB, and perhaps Dick gets moved then.

Of course, that all depends on the signing of a new LB coming through.

I'm still pretty happy with all of Murrays signings. Tumilty was always going to be the hardest defender to replace. With millen signing I would assume we won't be left as open next season and we definitely have the midfield options to be creative without our fullbacks bombing forward. Couple of cbs, maybe Patterson in at lb and a striker and we're done with permanent signings?

Dick is not a cb. He can play there if needed but he's a lb and I think he will do better without the expectation of getting forward as much.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I'm still pretty happy with all of Murrays signings. Tumilty was always going to be the hardest defender to replace. With millen signing I would assume we won't be left as open next season and we definitely have the midfield options to be creative without our fullbacks bombing forward. Couple of cbs, maybe Patterson in at lb and a striker and we're done with permanent signings?

Dick is not a cb. He can play there if needed but he's a lb and I think he will do better without the expectation of getting forward as much.

Agree on Dick, but then why even consider Patterson? Better to adjust the expectations of Dick’s play and add an extra CB. If we could get three CB to add to Berra and (eventually) Lang, plus Millen at RB and Dick at LB, I’d be just fine…assuming Young and Brown as backup for the LB and RB.

If we do that, a 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 becomes the most likely gambit to provide width. Spencer, Brown and Stanton are all capable of the solo DM role (Stanton the least of the three), and the idea of Connolly backed by Ross or Zanatta backed by Arnott on the wings is interesting…and might lessen the need for a forward quickly and allow a loan to develop if we can start with Easton behind Vaughan or Gullan.

I’m looking forward to the first few matches with interest.

12 minutes ago, TopGunners said:

OMG if it wasn't for Zanatta's play in the first half of the season you would have been relegated last year. He and he alone kept you up!  He was the only one scoring and even though he fell off a bit at the end, mostly because teams doubled up on him with no other threat available, still ended up one of the leading scorers. Also created many goals for others with his play off the wing. 

Steady. Whilst I completely disagree with the summation that Zanatta wasn’t good for us last year - if his season had happened in reverse you’d have people falling over themselves about how important he is to us - to suggest we’d have been relegated without him is nonsense. 

16 minutes ago, TopGunners said:

OMG if it wasn't for Zanatta's play in the first half of the season you would have been relegated last year. He and he alone kept you up!  He was the only one scoring and even though he fell off a bit at the end, mostly because teams doubled up on him with no other threat available, still ended up one of the leading scorers. Also created many goals for others with his play off the wing. 

Calm down sweetie. I'm not saying he's guff or that he wasn't useful during the first half of the season but what some opposition fans said were true in that ultimately he starts well but fades away as the season goes on. That was the question I was replying to 😂

6 hours ago, TopGunners said:

3 post on this forum - every one about Dario Zanatta!

4 hours ago, Hadji said:

Im amazed people on here are claiming Dicks good defensively, has everyone forgot his disaster class against Ayr ?

Aye but remember he can play anywhere across the back four, open the batting and is an ambidextrous scratch golfer. Tx said so.

56 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Aye but remember he can play anywhere across the back four, open the batting and is an ambidextrous scratch golfer. Tx said so.

There is an argument that Liam Dick is a competent defender. He's far stronger in the tackle and in the air than Tumilty for example, who we all agree we like, so that side of his game, over the piece, wasn't disastrous.

That did make me wonder if maybe he could play at centre half, but from what I can see, across his entire career, he's only played there twice, both for us, where we conceded six goals in the process, so I can't say that filled me with much hope that he's our answer in there. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

Come on, if you’re gonna play that game, you should know he hits clean-up!

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Probably need to view this from the Ross Matthews on the wing or Dave McKay as a full back. Just because a few managers went with a wild idea, doesn't mean its something we should persist with.

54 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

There is an argument that Liam Dick is a competent defender. He's far stronger in the tackle and in the air than Tumilty for example, who we all agree we like, so that side of his game, over the piece, wasn't disastrous.

That did make me wonder if maybe he could play at centre half, but from what I can see, across his entire career, he's only played there twice, both for us, where we conceded six goals in the process, so I can't say that filled me with much hope that he's our answer in there. 

Which is why I’m not sure we’re gonna sign a LB. If Murray isn’t planning a charging wingback routine, Dick will do fine and we have salary for another CB or ST.

And at CB he’s a potential, not a known factor, so you are exactly correct.