The New Raith Rovers Thread

29 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

We need centre halfs as we have already lost McKay, Bene possibly Musonda and Lang is away. Thoughts on Popescu who was at Hamilton and released by Hearts. Experienced and may be a good fit for Berra.

Popescu is up there with the worse. 

14 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Erm that articles seems to be at odds with the news earlier in the week that spencer is signing on again.

Aye I know it’s strange, one article says it’s a done deal and another saying were still in dialogue and will find out between 7 to 10 days 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

RT for me to as just as important to get re-signed as Brad. Just like Jason Thomson, he is/was such an outlet down that right hand side. We’ve already lost MacDonald on the left and seen no outlet down the left last season. If he is away, I hope it’s to a Prem club. Someone else in the Championship and I’ll be gutted!

5 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Aye I know it’s strange, one article says it’s a done deal and another saying were still in dialogue and will find out between 7 to 10 days 

What's strange about that? Burns and the Record likely jumped the gun, or the amurray quote is from the weekend (Burns had the story on the Monday) and the FFP is only just now reporting it, or he's verbally agreed a deal and Murray is playing coy.

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A blow, but an expected one, unfortunately.

Almost an entirely new defence, then. 

Tumilty is really the only blow and we saw that coming months ago. 

Musonda was only half decent last season, injury prone and had one or two shockers. I would have kept him on the strength of his 20/21 showing but taking last season in isolation I probably wouldn't.

End of the day we weren't great defensively last season, and while a fair chunk of that is on how open McGlynn had us playing - there is a case for a defensive revamp based on how our back 4 played.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

What's strange about that? Burns and the Record likely jumped the gun, or the amurray quote is from the weekend (Burns had the story on the Monday) and the FFP is only just now reporting it, or he's verbally agreed a deal and Murray is playing coy.

You could be right there I’m just probably going over top because im just no wanting him to end up at the pars or Falkirk 

18 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I really hoped we'd be able to keep Musonda, I think he's got the potential to be a real standout at this level if he's played in the same position every week. I'll be interested to see where he pops up next. 

I’m of the same view. I suspect his exploits with Zambia will have opened up a few doors to him, possibly opportunities we can’t complete with.

So, two centre backs and a right back required then. Who’s available?

Edited by Enigma

30 minutes ago, renton said:

Tumilty is really the only blow and we saw that coming months ago. 

Musonda was only half decent last season, injury prone and had one or two shockers. I would have kept him on the strength of his 20/21 showing but taking last season in isolation I probably wouldn't.

End of the day we weren't great defensively last season, and while a fair chunk of that is on how open McGlynn had us playing - there is a case for a defensive revamp based on how our back 4 played.

I think he's better than he showed in a disrupted season. Not getting settled into a consistent position probably didn't help his case either, though conversely we will definitely miss his versatility. 

We will not get another Tumilty, unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We will not get another Tumilty, unfortunately. 

Though when we signed him nobody was particularly excited, and nobody had reason to be.

In fairness last season at the back was a disaster. We must have played about 12 different permutations due to injuries, suspensions, poor form, bad ideas and sheer desperation to stop shipping late goals. 

For anyone to walk out of it unscathed and to then move up a level is nothing short of a miracle and is probably in part due to previous performances. 

We have a good gk and midfield as well as berra and in time lang. That said it'll need a decent rebuild at the back. 

18 minutes ago, pub car king said:

In fairness last season at the back was a disaster. 

That's why I'm OK with some of the defence moving on. Mcglynn had the defence set up to aid our attack rather than solely focus on defending. That may not be how Murray wants us to play, so it gives him a relatively blank canvas to work with. I would absolutely have liked tumilty and musonda to stay though. 

Is there any defenders released championship/Premiership level we could probably persuade to come and join, did see earlier apparently an RB from down south is touted to be coming In but we don’t know that for sure.

I’m surprised he’s not signed anyone else yet with the first preseason game what almost 2 weeks away? Can he really get 2/3  CHs and a RB in that time plus Brad signed maybe by the end/beginning of next week and the  focus on a striker last I reckon he would do 

23 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Is there any defenders released championship/Premiership level we could probably persuade to come and join, did see earlier apparently an RB from down south is touted to be coming In but we don’t know that for sure.

I’m surprised he’s not signed anyone else yet with the first preseason game what almost 2 weeks away? Can he really get 2/3  CHs and a RB in that time plus Brad signed maybe by the end/beginning of next week and the  focus on a striker last I reckon he would do 

There is plenty of time to get it all done. These things move at a fast pace at this time of year. He hasn't even had the players he has in for a training session yet. There is no need to panic. 

Window opens on Friday, for all we know those positions may already be filled and nothings being said until they are registered, on the otherhand the pre season games will be running the rule over potential signing

Either way, as Jonesy would say Dont Panic Lads