The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Saying that it’s going to happen yeah? Did it mention anything about Brad Spencer? 

It said he agreed a deal with us after Murray had initially been trying to sign him for Airdrie. Nothing about Spencer or any of our out of contract players.

20 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Think we have to accept Murray will have his own ideas on the squad, don’t know much about brown but if he signs will get behind him. I personally feel re energised with the rovers since the change and hopefully it works out well for us 

This is it. Any time a new manager comes in, one or two of the current squad usually end up being squeezed out and I've no doubt the same will happen here.

We can only hope that if Murray makes these decisions we end up a better team because of it.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

This is it. Any time a new manager comes in, one or two of the current squad usually end up being squeezed out and I've no doubt the same will happen here.

We can only hope that if Murray makes these decisions we end up a better team because of it.

totally agree, my only wee concern with Murray going after the players he was looking at for Airdrie, is this is a level up. That will open up some new players for Murray to look at, and also re-assess whether some of the players he felt good enough for Airdrie, will be good enough for Raith competing hopefully in the top half Championship. Would

3 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

totally agree, my only wee concern with Murray going after the players he was looking at for Airdrie, is this is a level up. That will open up some new players for Murray to look at, and also re-assess whether some of the players he felt good enough for Airdrie, will be good enough for Raith competing hopefully in the top half Championship. Would

Maybe Murray has seen enough of this brown to think he can make a step up a level, but if goes wrong that signing so be it. McGlynn made a few signings he thought could do a job this level and they turned out they couldn’t hack it 

22 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Who knows what Murray's thinking; we must assume he knows what he's looking for as regards the style he wants us to play, and Brown must be a decent enough player anyway. I would still hope to keep Spencer 'tho.

Aye, if we keep Spencer and sign Brown then the latter must be seen as a massive upgrade on Riley Snow.

Thought the season tickets were fairly priced - despite costs going up for everything around us, they've reintroduced the early bird for current season ticket holders to renew which is good, and kept prices fairly low for the different junior age groups. Decent enough discounts as well if that's your thing.  Just over £15 a game for full paying adults, and the kids for under £3/£1.50 a game is a really good deal. 

Decent week last week - New manager who seems favored by the majority, and a good first signing followed by the season. A good start, and already renewed mine. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Aye, if we keep Spencer and sign Brown then the latter must be seen as a massive upgrade on Riley Snow.

We  keep Spencer and sign another two, Easton and Brown. Riley Snow being ditched still leaves us with Matthews Spencer Stanton Arnott Easton Brown and Ross.

How many midfielders would you have in a tight squad?

8 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

We  keep Spencer and sign another two, Easton and Brown. Riley Snow being ditched still leaves us with Matthews Spencer Stanton Arnott Easton Brown and Ross.

How many midfielders would you have in a tight squad?

I take your point, it depends on everyone's definition of "tight" for a squad I suppose.

I guess in terms of recruitment for the traditional Central midfielders roles (the 6 and 8 ) we'd end up with 5 guys (Spencer, Stanton, Matthews, Arnott and Ross) for between two and three starting positions which doesn't feel hugely extravagant. 

I'm all for strengthening the centre of the park. Midfield win you games. I remember in Nicholls first stint him saying you win the Midfield battle you win the game. Having a strong midfield with options can only be good especially with injuries and suspensions. Also may allow further development of Arnott with a loam move. 

14 minutes ago, renton said:

I take your point, it depends on everyone's definition of "tight" for a squad I suppose.

I guess in terms of recruitment for the traditional Central midfielders roles (the 6 and 8 ) we'd end up with 5 guys (Spencer, Stanton, Matthews, Arnott and Ross) for between two and three starting positions which doesn't feel hugely extravagant.

Fair enough, but inevitably they can't all be regulars in the team unless there's serious rotation in mind (unlikely). I think it suggests that Spencer might be off.

The one thing I like is that whoever we have it's going to be an impressive midfield line-up.

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 minute ago, renton said:

From anywhere I saw an Airdrie line up on BBC or Livescore, and Airdrie fans feel free to correct, they have been in a 4-1-4-1/4-5-1 formation. I can see that being emulated at Raith which would reduce the need for a number 10. Easton is comfortable off the left side and i'd probably expect to see either Ross or Connolly on the right, leaving Matthews, Stanton, Spencer, Arnott and potentially Brown to fill the central roles. I would like to see Arnott be given much more game time this year, he looks a quality player. Easton also plays centrally too which would give options alongside Ethan Ross. I would expect any forward we sign to be someone who can play up top on their own and supported by runners from the midfield. 

What we don't have are out and out wingers who want to beat a man and/or get to the goal-line for a cross and i'm fine with that, that to me is what the fullbacks are for. Not sure we've got that in our current player pool on both flanks though. 

Also at the back I would prefer an upgrade on Liam Dick because he’s suspect defensively and not that great going forward either but I don’t think we will get 1 in.

Brody Paterson is an absolute stick on to sign. Whether he’s an upgrade on Liam Dick is a bit unknown.

As it stands atm, we have 14 signed players (2 out with acl injuries) plus 7 apprentices some of whom may be released, we are currently threadbare at the back and I'll be very happy see some movement in that department asap, as I've said before that is the weak spot that now needs attention

As it stands atm, we have 14 signed players (2 out with acl injuries) plus 7 apprentices some of whom may be released, we are currently threadbare at the back and I'll be very happy see some movement in that department asap, as I've said before that is the weak spot that now needs attention

Who needs a defence when you have 8 midfielders to keep the ball in front of them? IMG_1653914282.175031.jpg