The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

What is the issue with folk not wanting Brown? He may not have the experience in the dugout but he would command instant respect in the dressing room.

McGlynn had zero experience as a manager before he came but folk seem to completely forget that. He then didn't manage for years but again folk didn't really question that when he returned.

We aren't going to get a brilliant experienced manager without potential flaws. It's either going to be an experienced ex pro looking for their first job, a manager from leagues below looking to step up or one from the usual crew of the washed up or sacked brigade.

I am warming to him but he is a fanny with his antics on the pitch and courts controversy at times, I just want less publicity for the club as we have had our fair share this year. Agree with what you say about who we will get he is a winner with good contacts and hoping if it is him he learned more from Rogers than lennon.

Would Kelty want compensation for Thomson, if Airdrie come up theres no guarantee he would leave then, so it may boil down to who else has applied......... Broon, McPake even the Snake if he has, whoever gets the gig wont please everyone thats for sure

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Would Kelty want compensation for Thomson, if Airdrie come up theres no guarantee he would leave then, so it may boil down to who else has applied......... Broon, McPake even the Snake if he has, whoever gets the gig wont please everyone thats for sure

There’s a clause in thomsons contract saying he can leave to go to full time football, similar to when we appointed McKinnon he had that clause in his Brechin contract so I don’t think we do need to compensate (could be wrong) 

Although I’d definitely not use Scott Brown in a pub quiz team, I actually think he might be a decent appointment with where we are just now…

The fans and sponsors seem to have dropped away after the Goodwillie saga and we need to generate a bit of interest in the club again. Scott Brown would bring that. We would have a lot of media interest and it would capture the imagination more than a Mcpake or a Murray would. I’m not sure what he would be like as a manager but he’s certainly a proven leader. 

We have the basis of a good squad already under contract for next season, with a few positive additions we should be pushing for a top 4 finish. I think we are in a perfectly good position to take a gamble.

Edited by Jilted John

Scott Brown could go either way. Much as I didn’t like his on field antics, I don’t  think he’d necessarily transfer that to the role of manager. And his career shows he was obviously smarter and more switched on than the likes of O’Connor, Riordan and Griffiths. Not sure how he’d cope with Sim mind. My suspicion has always been that we’d go for the cheap option or someone that Sim feels he can control. Berra or Ellis would fit that. 

5 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

It's been banded about that he has a contract clause allowing release. Exactly what that entails, I don't know. 

I agree RE Murray - I can't see him leaving if they come up; he's onto a good thing there and it's not really a huge step up. Perhaps a bit of a risk

17 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

What is the issue with folk not wanting Brown? He may not have the experience in the dugout but he would command instant respect in the dressing room.

McGlynn had zero experience as a manager before he came but folk seem to completely forget that. He then didn't manage for years but again folk didn't really question that when he returned.

We aren't going to get a brilliant experienced manager without potential flaws. It's either going to be an experienced ex pro looking for their first job, a manager from leagues below looking to step up or one from the usual crew of the washed up or sacked brigade.

McGlynn was the Hearts youth and reserve team managers though was he not? Brown hasn’t even had that.

I listened to an interview Steven Gerrard did with Gary Neville a few weeks back and he said Jurgen Klopp recommended he took the under 18’s at Liverpool to learn his trade first and Gerrard said that step was really important in preparing himself for first team management as it let him learn what type of football he wanted to play and how to implement that style as well as handling players and making mistakes and learning from them away from any real scrutiny.

If Brown had done a year or two managing a Premier League sides under 19 or reserve side to learn the trade a little and work out his style and how to put things in place, I would be more inclined to give him a shot but it’s a huge risk to appoint someone with absolutely zero management experience at any level especially when it seems he wants to bring Steven Whittaker as his assistant rather than an experienced older head.

That’s my reasons, how he was on the pitch for Celtic doesn’t bother me, I know people who know him very well and by all accounts he is a decent bloke who is determined to make a success of himself as a manager and has always wanted to get into management from a young age but I just don’t think it’s quite the right time. Will obviously give him a chance if it turns out to be him, would certainly rather take a punt on him than the likes of McPake or Laszlo. 

You are correct though, that whatever appointment we make will be a gamble, there is no guaranteed success and whoever we appoint will not please everyone. I want Kevin Thomson because I have heard he is a very good coach, he comes across well whenever I’ve heard him talk about the game (except for calling it ‘footy’) and he has some managerial experience with the youth team at Rangers and now at Kelty so I think he is a couple of years ahead of Brown in his managerial development but I have no doubt many people would disagree. 

Just hope that they get their finger oot after Friday and get someone appointed.  
Then we can all get on to the next topic.  Who he/they bring in.

I think we need to go back to a hybrid system also, and bring in the likes of Nathan Austin, who knows how to score goals!

11 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

For all we know the decision has already been made,  and I have a terrible feeling its Laszlo 

I heard that rumour during the season, would be awful if true a couple of big names linked like brown and Thomson and a jobber like him appointed 🤦🏻‍♂️ Definitely something sim would do 

54 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

McGlynn was the Hearts youth and reserve team managers though was he not? Brown hasn’t even had that.

I listened to an interview Steven Gerrard did with Gary Neville a few weeks back and he said Jurgen Klopp recommended he took the under 18’s at Liverpool to learn his trade first and Gerrard said that step was really important in preparing himself for first team management as it let him learn what type of football he wanted to play and how to implement that style as well as handling players and making mistakes and learning from them away from any real scrutiny.

If Brown had done a year or two managing a Premier League sides under 19 or reserve side to learn the trade a little and work out his style and how to put things in place, I would be more inclined to give him a shot but it’s a huge risk to appoint someone with absolutely zero management experience at any level especially when it seems he wants to bring Steven Whittaker as his assistant rather than an experienced older head.

That’s my reasons, how he was on the pitch for Celtic doesn’t bother me, I know people who know him very well and by all accounts he is a decent bloke who is determined to make a success of himself as a manager and has always wanted to get into management from a young age but I just don’t think it’s quite the right time. Will obviously give him a chance if it turns out to be him, would certainly rather take a punt on him than the likes of McPake or Laszlo. 

You are correct though, that whatever appointment we make will be a gamble, there is no guaranteed success and whoever we appoint will not please everyone. I want Kevin Thomson because I have heard he is a very good coach, he comes across well whenever I’ve heard him talk about the game (except for calling it ‘footy’) and he has some managerial experience with the youth team at Rangers and now at Kelty so I think he is a couple of years ahead of Brown in his managerial development but I have no doubt many people would disagree. 

From memory, I think Jimmy Nicholl also had similar experience coaching the Rangers reserves when he was a senior pro and maybe at Dunfermline too. So he didn’t come to us completely inexperienced.

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I heard that rumour during the season, would be awful if true a couple of big names linked like brown and Thomson and a jobber like him appointed 🤦🏻‍♂️ Definitely something sim would do 

When you have English League one outfit Fleetwood wanting to give Broon a chance theres no reason why we shouldn't either, 

26 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

For all we know the decision has already been made,  and I have a terrible feeling its Laszlo 

I have that feeling it could be Laszlo or even McPake if it is them we’ll be where Falkirk and pars are end of next season they fill me and probably everyone else with 0 confidence 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Brown comes across as an absolute thicko, which is enough for me. 

McGlynn also had a lot of coaching experience, if none as a manager. Brown less so. 

Played in the top tier of Scottish football for best part of his career,played in many big european games, played under some very good managers,a scottish internationalist and a short spell coaching at Aberdeen

No bad going for a thicko eh?

Pretty sure if he was that much of a thicko he wouldn,t have achieved that

2 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Played in the top tier of Scottish football for best part of his career,played in many big european games, played under some very good managers,a scottish internationalist and a short spell coaching at Aberdeen

No bad going for a thicko eh?

Pretty sure if he was that much of a thicko he wouldn,t have achieved that

What do his undeniable playing achievements have to do with intelligence? You can name just about any number of ex-players that played at an equivalent or higher level that you wouldn't put in charge of a Sunday roast let alone a football club. Many of them can be found on punditry panels, spouting all sorts of nonsense. 

What gets you buy as a player won't get you by as a manager. Brown was captain of Celtic for a long time so there is a case for proven leadership, but does he have the ability to understand what might change a game, address weaknesses in the side etc? Is he tactically aware? 

He would be a better appointment than someone like Danny Lennon, but I find it very hard to see him as a manager. 

30 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Played in the top tier of Scottish football for best part of his career,played in many big european games, played under some very good managers,a scottish internationalist

All of this would also apply to Barry Ferguson, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't fancy him as the next Raith Rovers manager.