The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
I'd be fine if we got McKinnon back. We were pretty much a high point for him. He would be a bit similar to McGlynn in that if you did well you'd not really get a feeling that any other team at a higher level would be threatening to poach him.

You mean since he left us for a team at a higher level and failed?

Anybody we hire that’s been at more than one, maybe two clubs, is going to have a failure somewhere on their CV.

Surely the stresses of football management is the last thing McKinnon wants to be thinking about just now.

Enjoyed things under McKinnon, wasn't afraid to properly change things up in a game and by that I mean not this obvious 'like for like' subs at the 70th minute mark. Seemed from a tactical perspective he knew what he had to do to and always came across well in interviews. Struck me as a no nonsense character that wouldn't be afraid to drop players if they were under performing. Recruited well when needed.

The manner in which he left thought is a bit of a sore one. Don't get me wrong I completely appreciate the lure of managing his boyhood team would have been appealing however the timing of it and the obvious discussions that must have been going on as we entered such an important period of the season was helluva frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was United that was leaking information in the lead up to that 2nd leg against Hibs which totally fucked us and worked a treat for them as in the end they got their man. McKinnon was on record as saying if the took us up he'd have stayed with us. 

To have left us the way he did fair enough (boyhood team, bigger club etc) fair enough - as frustrating as it was. To effectively go about it the same way when he left Morton for Falkirk really showed his true colours.

It's a no from me.

59 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The thing about him toiling at Christmas was that he rectified things in January and got it bang on. It was his best attribute, to acknowledge an issue and solve it. He had good game management, something McGlynn was lacking in, it seemed like we would always go and score after he made a couple of subs.

Game management ?

we lost a 3 goal lead at Dumbarton, and toiled against losing late goals most of the early part of that season

My (perhaps incorrect) memory of McKinnon is that he often made meaningful tactical changes with plenty of time left that often had a positive impact on the game instead of the usual like for like, fresh legs pish. The manner of his many employer changes leaves a bitter taste though

Ray Mckinnon had a good thing with the Rovers but humped and dumped us when the more attractive Dundee United made eyes at him.

They were high maintenance though and soon got fed up of him not performing, leaving him scarting about the 2am burger van hingoots (Morton and Falkirk).

Rovers would be daft to give him another chance in my opinion. 

I know we need a manager first but would anyone take ally Roy the now released Queens striker at the rovers, done a decent in a poor Queens side and reckon he could be better with a decent team like us just a suggestion 

Think he will end up at Falkirk

22 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I know we need a manager first but would anyone take ally Roy the now released Queens striker at the rovers, done a decent in a poor Queens side and reckon he could be better with a decent team like us just a suggestion 

No, scoring record is crap.

4 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

I'd take Mckinnon with Ellis as assistant.  We have more chance of playing a good brand of football with him than most of the folk on that list.  Ellis is a good coach and loves the Rovers so we could get a lot worse.  Get Berra as a player coach as well.

The brand of football we and Queen’s Park seen under Ray was god awful. 

Ayr weren’t in the league at that time so I may be way off here but were Raith not pretty shite for ages under McKinnon that season? Then he made a few signings in January and you went on a great run for the playoffs?

He had a cracking Brechin team but besides that I always thought his teams were eye bleedingly bad.

I wouldn't take McKinnon back. Obviously the circumstances of his departure were hard to take, but you could just about excuse it given it was the club he played for. However that nonsense at Morton said a lot about him and I'd rather we didn't go there. 

It's those rather than his failures that put me off. He was a disaster at Dundee United and Falkirk, but led us to the playoffs and also did the job required of him at QP, albeit with significant backing. He has both good and bad on his CV. 

43 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If your target is the relegation playoffs then he's your man, otherwise avoid.

Not been mentioned here yet regarding Ray, so I’ll mention it. He had absolutely no interest in developing the young talent within the squad, indeed punting a promising, young Sean Mackie for £10k in order to fund the short term signing of Joel Thomas. Think of the successes we’ve had with our young players lately? Bowie and Tait sold for about £250k - with more to come for Bowie if he keeps going the way he is - plus Arnott and Young now in and around the first team. I worry that we’d go back to being all about the first time at the expense of a very fruitful youth set up. I think any new incumbent of the manager’s position will be made, by the board, to continue our fine work in this market. 

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ayr weren’t in the league at that time so I may be way off here but were Raith not pretty shite for ages under McKinnon that season? Then he made a few signings in January and you went on a great run for the playoffs?

He had a cracking Brechin team but besides that I always thought his teams were eye bleedingly bad.

It’s always overstated how poor we were before the January recruitment. We were in the play offs for most of the season and were pretty much the 4th best side in the league before and after the January recruitment. I never really felt we wouldn’t make the play offs at any point that season, particularly after taking 4 points from away games against QOS and Morton before Christmas (our nearest competitors for a play off place).

However, we went from a side that looked like it was just about going to edge out QOS and Morton for 4th place to being a match for anyone in the league losing only 1 of our last 15 games and that was at Ibrox whilst playing some nice football along the way.

So the January recruitment improved us a lot but McKinnon already had us in decent position beforehand. In saying all that, I wouldn’t take him back. 

Edited by R.R.FC

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

8 wins, 3 draws, 6 losses up until start of January. 10 wins, 5 draw, 4 losses from January until end of the season. 

It appears most managers, players that are mentioned on here are not good enough or are dicks according to some fans on here. I wil say I would not be happy with Ray returning. The way he left us was shocking just when we looked like we were building something good. 

For me we should move for Ian Murray if we can. Kevin Thompson would be a good shout but we all know he will be off as soon as Hibs or someone similar come calling if he gets a little success with us. Scott Brown would also be short term as he will also be off after a season if he gets some success.