The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 04/05/2022 at 14:37, pantene proV said:

Agree with you. Having said that, Imrie's Morton bottom of the form table for last 5 & 10 games. Just a new manager bounce before settling into shite like the rest of the bunch mentioned.

Levein for me. A punt is too risky at the moment. May not excite the fans but who would after losing a management team that have given us 3 top 5 Championship finishes. We've had 4 in total. 

Don't think it was just a manager bounce.  We only lost 2 of his first 15 league games. More a case of the team put a hell of a lot into catching the pack, taking over it and securing safely ( albeit not mathematically) with 3/4 games to go. Once we beat you boys, we knew we were all but safe so it was a mentality change more than anything for me.  The 2 losses we did have in that run of 15, we won the the following week. 

Disappointing to lose the last 3 but the hard work was done. In the 15 games before that, it was W7, D6, L2. Hamilton also lost 3 of their last 4 too which makes sense with nothing to play for either.

Big pre season for Dougie as fans will expect a good start, but rumour of budget cuts are kicking about so god knows what he has to work with.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/3267929/ray-mckinnon-heart-attack-dundee-united-raith-rovers-brechin-city/

Take Ray back with Laurie as assistant? Maybe some unfinished business with us? The way he left was a bit pish, and how he went from Morton to Falkirk also. But I did enjoy watching us with him in charge in what was a very tough championship that year. 

8 minutes ago, Wardy said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/3267929/ray-mckinnon-heart-attack-dundee-united-raith-rovers-brechin-city/

Take Ray back with Laurie as assistant? Maybe some unfinished business with us? The way he left was a bit pish, and how he went from Morton to Falkirk also. But I did enjoy watching us with him in charge in what was a very tough championship that year. 

Not the worst option out there but he doesn’t like staying long anywhere 😂😂 maybe thou 

10 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Firstly, it's good to see he's doing well.

As far as the job goes, he'd have a bit of work to do to win over the support, but I must admit I would have him ahead of some of the folk on the list of candidates.

I'd take Mckinnon with Ellis as assistant.  We have more chance of playing a good brand of football with him than most of the folk on that list.  Ellis is a good coach and loves the Rovers so we could get a lot worse.  Get Berra as a player coach as well.

35 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I'd take Mckinnon with Ellis as assistant.  We have more chance of playing a good brand of football with him than most of the folk on that list.  Ellis is a good coach and loves the Rovers so we could get a lot worse.  Get Berra as a player coach as well.

I’d take McKinnon back too but I thought given his heart attack he might not be a feasible choice given the work would start as soon as somebody is hired, I guess Laurie could do the heavy lifting until he’s fully recovered. 

Where are you getting the Ellis is a good coach stuff from? His dismissal at Queens Park? As for McKinnon, the mists of time have been kind to him and some people forgetting we were toiling a bit until the January window. Then he slithered away at a crucial point, before doing similar dirties at subsequent clubs, before being emptied. If McKinnon is the answer you're asking the wrong questions.

5 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
43 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Where are you getting the Ellis is a good coach stuff from? His dismissal at Queens Park? As for McKinnon, the mists of time have been kind to him and some people forgetting we were toiling a bit until the January window. Then he slithered away at a crucial point, before doing similar dirties at subsequent clubs, before being emptied. If McKinnon is the answer you're asking the wrong questions.

The thing about him toiling at Christmas was that he rectified things in January and got it bang on. It was his best attribute, to acknowledge an issue and solve it. He had good game management, something McGlynn was lacking in, it seemed like we would always go and score after he made a couple of subs.

Edited by Enigma

5 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
43 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Ellis might not have done great as a manager but he is a decent coach.  If you dont think they would work thats your opinion ive got mine.

The thing about him toiling at Christmas was that he rectified things in January and got it bang on. It was his best attribute, to acknowledge an issue and solve it. He had good game management, something McGlynn was lacking in, it seemed like we would always go and score after he made a couple of subs.
And what did you make of his departure, and his subsequent departures and dismissals?

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:
6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

And what did you make of his departure, and his subsequent departures and dismissals?

At least he was honest about Rovers being a stepping stone to him. That’s exactly what we will be for Thomson or Murray if we get them and they have a good season or two here.

I'd be fine if we got McKinnon back. We were pretty much a high point for him. He would be a bit similar to McGlynn in that if you did well you'd not really get a feeling that any other team at a higher level would be threatening to poach him.
You mean since he left us for a team at a higher level and failed?