The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Anyway why the clamour for Kevin Thomson. My dear auld gran passed away 20 years ago and could still manage Kelty with the cash they have. Btw I smell a Gretna coming. 

I get that being a successful cheque book manager doesn’t mean you can succeed on a budget but it doesn’t mean you can’t 

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has anyone noticed Martindale at any of our games? Who does he send to do scouting? The only manager I have noticed in the Main Stand recently was St Mirren’s guy.

It sounds like he does a lot of his scouting through the use of stats, so it’s not overly likely he’s out looking at players non-stop. He’s said we’re looking at Russia and Ukraine for players this season as we’ve been priced out of the championship previously. 

I think it’s likely that he’s standing out in some form of stats, enough to grab his interest

29 minutes ago, renton said:

Not being involved with football contract matters would surely be in contradiction to what Val McDermid had said over the Goodwillie situation.

See, I've wondered about that since it was said. I don't know that it's necessarily to be taken literally. I can see a situation where Val McDermid says "The CEO tells me they won't be signing Goodwillie [in person], and then the next thing we know she's negotiating his contract [an assumption based on her role, where the CEO is essentially a byword for the club]." 

I think it's largely semantic and doesn't really matter, but I'm not sure Val McDermid would have knowledge of who was personally conducting the negotiations. I think it's equally (if not more) likely that the CEO told Val McDermid the signing wouldn't happen and then someone else was negotiating it without her knowledge as it is that she lied about it outright knowing she'd be doing the negotiating herself. 

But once again, to beat a well worn drum of mine, all of that is based on guesswork and assumption, because nobody at the club has ever bothered to define anybody's roles. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

When was the last time you were excited by the Rovers?

I think I was genuinely feeling pangs of excitement around late November early December last year. The 2-1 win over Falkirk and the 1-0 win at home to Killie lulled me into thinking that we were in the title hunt this year. We had been playing some tidy stuff but both them games we looked resilient and won with something to spare despite not playing great.

I wonder what odds you would've got on McGlynn being Falkirk Manager by the time the playoffs came around as we walked out of the Falkirk Stadium that day?

I was excited at our last managerial appointment.

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

That is absolutely laughable. What a club. 

Aye, professional football club manager is one of those occupations where if you don't know who to contact, you shouldn't be applying in the first place.

35 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

It sounds like he does a lot of his scouting through the use of stats, so it’s not overly likely he’s out looking at players non-stop. He’s said we’re looking at Russia and Ukraine for players this season as we’ve been priced out of the championship previously. 

I think it’s likely that he’s standing out in some form of stats, enough to grab his interest

Moneyball style 

Just when you think we can't be any more shambolic.

What football club has a CEO who isn't involved in any footballing contracts. If it was he case that it was a conflict of interest then why was she hired in the first place. Or if she specifically wasn't given that duty then why call her CEO when clearly she's not.

It's absolutely embarrassing just now.

2 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I think more people should post Football Manager achievements and pics of Peter Grant. Absolutely top notch banter.

7 Champions Leagues trophies in a row with Sheffield United don’t lie. I’m your man.

Edited by Enigma

1 hour ago, renton said:

Not being involved with football contract matters would surely be in contradiction to what Val McDermid had said over the Goodwillie situation.

Forget it being a contradiction of what Val McD said - it also appears to be contradicted by Sim's own car crash interview the other day when he famously stated that there were 7 (seven) people involved in the awarding of the contract.  That's the gang-of-four directors,  JMcG and PS,  and who else?  the tea boy?,  kitman?  or maybe the 'CEO'

• Kevin Thomson 2/1  Kelty Hearts manager
  • Ian Murray 4/1  Airdrie manager
  • James McPake 4/1  Ex Dundee manager
  • Danny Lennon 8/1  Clyde manager
  • Stuart Kettlewell 8/1  Ex Ross County manager
  • Christophe Berra 10/1  Raith player
  • Craig Levein 10/1  No.  Just bloody no!
  • Marvin Bartley 10/1  Livi player
  • Neil McCann 10/1  Better to stay as a crap TV pundit
  • Jim McIntyre 12/1  Feck no!
  • Kenny Miller 12/1  Feck Feck No!
  • Stewart Petrie 12/1  Ex Par
  • Scott Brown 14/1  Thug but nice guy.
  • Barry Ferguson 16/1  Ned.  If he becomes manager, I will start watching cricket.  
  • Gary Naysmith 16/1  Embry City manager
  • Jim McInally 16/1  Feck no way!
  • Paul Hartley 16/1  Not convinced
  • Jack Ross 20/1  Out of our money level.

Random Livvy player in the mix there apparently!  I will walk away from not only the Rovers, but football all in if we sign that arsehole Barry Ferguson as manager.

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

With apologies to Laura for pulling a tweet across to here, which I think is a little shady... 

I think this is important, especially given how opaque the club have been about Karen Macartney's duties since she joined. 

So the club - a football club, mind - hired a Chief Executive who couldn't be involved in any football contract matters, presumably because of the conflict of interest. 

Which opens up a whole barrel of questions, all of which further call into question the leadership at the club. 

Once again, though, I'm going to cry out for some communication. There's so much acrimony at the moment and at least some of it will inevitably be directed at the wrong people because we've got absolutely no idea who does what at the club. If that's all changing now that Paul Smith has left (!?) then it's the perfect time to lay out the roles and responsibilities for everyone from the owner down through the CEO, the Chairman and the new look board. 

I do think this is quite interesting, and I'm a little confused at the two opinions which seem to be gathering around the CEO. They seem broadly to be in two camps;

A) Boo, why is Karen involved with anything when her man is the assistant manager, this is clearly a conflict of interest, booo  and;

B) Boo, why did she not get involved when her man is leaving, he's the assistant manager, she should have spoke to him, booo, etc

Now, I'm not saying the situation is ideal, far from it, but those two opinions don't really marry up, and Laura's tweet is interesting, and also suggests that there's a danger that we start slagging folk off when we don't really know the background. 

I've no idea what the individual members of the board do, but if they make a terrible decision in replacing John McGlynn then I'll pan them, but I don't know what their jurisdiction or role is, or whether they can vote on matters, and I doubt anyone else does either. 

The person who deserves 100% of the grief in all this is John Sim, and his interview the other week was a disgrace, that suggested he's a long way removed from societal norms, which is both interesting and worrying.

I suspect the Board and guys who work in the office are scurrying around trying to clear up his outrageous opinions which almost certainly have nothing to do with them.

We do, absolutely need a manager we can get behind though, because as much as Sim may suggest different, we've lost a few hundred supporters, and we really can't afford that. The next manager needs to be someone who can rally us, and I have a hunch, probably more a hope(based on nothing) that it will be.

That said, if it's Barry Ferguson I'll be buying a season ticket for the YM. 

Edited by McGuigan1978