The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Rover1990 said:

Scott Burns in the Scottish Express claiming Kevin Thomson is the front runner and has a get out clause in his contract at Kelty….also in the frame is McPake and Danny Lennon who has admirers with the boardroom at Starks Park.

League 1 here we come, ach well. 

2 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Scott Burns in the Scottish Express claiming Kevin Thomson is the front runner and has a get out clause in his contract at Kelty….also in the frame is McPake and Danny Lennon who has admirers with the boardroom at Starks Park.

Danny Lennon gives me the fear while DGW is still on the books, surely he wouldn’t 😂

2 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Lennon has a deal at Clyde until 2024, just imagine the headlines having to give Clyde more money.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Lennon has a deal at Clyde until 2024, just imagine the headlines having to give Clyde more money.

Aye tbf his name always pops us when we are looking for managers.  Think he’s pretty settled where he is.  

Edited by Rover1990

6 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Kevin Thomsons could be if he is offered a full time contract he can go. Same goes for any other part time team manager, I’m sure ray McKinnon had this clause when we got him? 

Edited by Offshore Rover

4 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

League 1 here we come, ach well. 

I wouldn't be adverse to Thomson if it came to it - though his insistence on calling it "footy" is a sackable offence.

Aye, he only achieved what was expected of him at Kelty, but even that is a real rarity in football tbh. 

I’d take Thomson. Lots of “my granny could have won that league” vibes but how many times have we seen managers make a horses arse of things at teams with buckets of cash who should win a league easily?

Edited by Enigma

Just now, San Starko Rover said:

Hope not too settled, the club’s moving to Hamilton. 

Wasn't Lennon going to stay on an island somewhere instilling discipline into the youth of today? Probably settled there.

Scott Burns was the one that first reported McGlynn to Falkirk. 

I wouldn't object to Thomson, who has made a success of himself at Kelty and is a young manager finding his way in the game. However he has had a fairly easy time there in terms of the backing he's been given relative to the other clubs and he won't get that with us. However, he would need to promise that under no circumstances will he bring Jamie Barjonas with him. 

Kevin Thomson wouldn't be my first choice. As we all saw with Barry Ferguson, winning a league in which you have the biggest budget isn't the greatest challenge, and more importantly isn't necessarily a great indicator of how you'll do when that's not the case. 

However, I'd rather have someone who's succeeded at a lower level than failed at a slightly higher one. It wouldn't be an appointment that had my head in my hands, a la Gary Locke. 

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

I’d take Thomson. Lots of “my granny could have won that league” but how many times have we seen managers make a horses arse of things at teams with buckets of cash who should win a league easily?

He is highly regarded as a coach both with rangers and his own academy would be worth a shot compared some of the potential names touted  

I’d take Thomson ahead of McPake every day of the week. No guarantee he’d be good as it’s hard to gauge Kelty’s success given the squad at his disposal but he’s worth a punt far more than McPake.

Sad to see how it’s ended for McGlynn and Smith. Absolute stalwarts for the club but the form and decisions over the last 4 months have left a sour taste in the mouth. Can only hope the Board get the next part right - but I won’t hold my breath.

4 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

He is highly regarded as a coach both with rangers and his own academy would be worth a shot compared some of the potential names touted  

True, but rumours abound about him being an absolute ersehole outwith coaching, add that to the inexperience and I have grave misgivings. 

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Wasn't Lennon going to stay on an island somewhere instilling discipline into the youth of today? Probably settled there.

Dreadful to think how many players we'll have injured when they return from preseason training on Danny Lennon's Torture Island. 

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Him saying he hopes they sign on for next season means he's going to drop down a league? Our club has the supporters it deserves... 

Two entirely  unconnected - and nonsensical - statements. Maybe the combination of more cash and hero worship will entice him to join up with McGlynn....

PS - The Scotsman article mentioned the  possibilty.

10 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Two entirely  unconnected - and nonsensical - statements. Maybe the combination of more cash and hero worship will entice him to join up with McGlynn....

PS - The Scotsman article mentioned the  possibilty.

You're a fine one to talk about nonsensical statements right enough. 

PS - you where the connection. 

The more I think about it, the more I'd be fine with Thomson. He wouldn't be my immediate first choice for the reasons others have mentioned. But he'd be a lot better than McPake. Lenmon has more experience but I'd still rather we went with Thomson.

It's incredibly hard to judge. We all thought Hughes was the perfect man to get us away from relegation and we know how that went.