The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Where has the McPake rumour come from? Given our board didn't have enough foresight to offer a manager who they wanted to stay a new deal early enough do we really think that they have some sort of target already.

Probably just someone putting 2 and 2 together as he is out of work at the moment, fully expect mixu, Ellis, Lennon all to be linked with the post. I have heard various rumours all season about us speaking to other candidates for the job, don’t know if they are true but I do expect us to have thought about this scenario with us letting his contract run down.

For as much as I am ambivalent to McGlynn leaving, I'm also fairly certain that the Board have no replacement lined up. If he does jack it for Falkirk then the negligence by the BoD is glaringly obvious and we will almost certainly start next season with a poorer manager who has had a very short recruitment window.

Someone above mentioned being backed into a corner. Absolutley this, and much like everything else this season, very much of our own doing.

If we wanted to keep McGlynn after finishing 5th then we could've offered him a deal 6 months ago on pretty much the same terms and he very likely would have taken it. The only reason for waiting would be to assess the second half of the season in which case he should be drop kicked over Pratt Street. We should have announced his replacement yesterday morning and wished him well on his return to the seaside.

The fact we have no plan B is nothing less than a shambles, the BoD need to do one.

18 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

...and if we have a paid CEO who is married to the Assistant Manager and never saw this coming then she should be sacked for incompetence.

Just as well we have an HR professional on the Board for all this carnage. Sackings for incompetence? At Rovers? There would be no one left.

19 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

...and if we have a paid CEO who is married to the Assistant Manager and never saw this coming then she should be sacked for incompetence.

And if said Assistant leaves, can we really still employ his wife as CEO ?

Conflict of interest potentially

5 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Agree with this though think a lot of the 'knicker wetting' is due to the talk of McPake taking over rather than McGlynn leaving. 

If McGlynn turns down a new contract to leave for Falkirk then f**k him and good riddance with a bit of luck he'll take his rapist striker with him. 

It isn’t just McPake, disappointing an appointment as he would be, it’s the worry of who we’d be able to attract if even John McGlynn was happy to turn us down. I wish him no luck at Falkirk but it is the board who have made a tit of this. I suspect we’re in this situation as the board themselves (like the fan base at large) are and have been spilt over whether to retain or let McGlynn go, now he’s made their decision for them.

It’ll be hard for McPake to convince all his pals to sign for Raith when he’ll have a quarter of the budget he had at Dundee. For a guy who had the squad he did they were fairly unremarkable in both Championship seasons.

Seems mcglynn was right royally pissed off with the way the bod expressed his involvement in the whole goodwillie saga and that's why he wants out. The boy sim is some piece of work. He and Gary deans would make some pairing.

Genuinely, if you had asked me on 30th January ( I know we had been on a poor run of 4 or 5 games) I would've had very little complaint on how we were performing on and off the park. 

If only the decision the next day was to give Poplatnik a wee run in the team!

10 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Why the disdain for James McPake? Not sure he actually did a bad job at Dundee at all.

Raith won’t have Charlie Adam to drag them through games though.

From what I’ve heard from Dundee supporting pals, his substitutions and tactical changes consistently made them worse as well. 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Seems mcglynn was right royally pissed off with the way the bod expressed his involvement in the whole goodwillie saga and that's why he wants out. 

If that was the case what would be the point in McGlynn listening to what we had to offer and continue with negotiation talks? He'd be as well telling the club to bolt and that he wasn't interested in what we had to offer him. What would be the point in him telling punters at the POTY do that if a contract was put in front of him he'd have signed it by now? Whatever the reason we'll never know and we'll get the usual buzz words if he takes over at Falkirk "big club, new challenge, took Rovers as far as I could" which could all be the genuine reasons why he wanted to leave. Just missing the most important bit "...they offered me more money".

Just looking back at our fixtures this season and the games I attended. We obviously didn’t get to see any of last season, and then this year I have been in the ground for 1 (one) away win - Falkirk in the cup in November - and 1 (one) home win - Partick Thistle in September. This means since March 7th 2020, when we beat Forfar at home, I have witnessed 2 wins. Why TF am I still going?! I think I’ll patch it, for the good of the club. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Seems mcglynn was right royally pissed off with the way the bod expressed his involvement in the whole goodwillie saga and that's why he wants out. The boy sim is some piece of work. He and Gary deans would make some pairing.

Thing is though he wanted DG , he suggested  it to the club so as much as I’m a big fan of Mcglynn he deserves some responsibility and flak for that , fully expecting Gary deans to be appointed to our board now 😂😂 or is ant n dec telling sim what to do for the shits and giggles 

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just looking back at our fixtures this season and the games I attended. We obviously didn’t get to see any of last season, and then this year I have been in the ground for 1 (one) away win - Falkirk in the cup in November - and 1 (one) home win - Partick Thistle in September. This means since March 7th 2020, when we beat Forfar at home, I have witnessed 2 wins. Why TF am I still going?! I think I’ll patch it, for the good of the club. 

I think it might've been Grant Murray's final season, despite having a season ticket I saw something like three goals at the South Stand end all year. Talk about value for money. 

26 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Why the disdain for James McPake? Not sure he actually did a bad job at Dundee at all.

Given the squad/budget he had it was pretty underwhelming to say the least, anyway dick is an auld boy now and needs to be nearer his care home not travelling up to Arbroath 3 times a week so he will be coming to us now thanks very much 😜

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No Rovers fan has seen us win a home game in 2022.

Firstly, it should be said, I’ve always been a fan of McGlynn and I always think managers should be judged on where the leave the club compared to where they were when they took over. On that front, it can’t be denied McGlynn has done a great job both times he has been our manager.

However, losing McGlynn doesn’t have to be a disaster. I think the panic from the fans is a sign of how little we trust the board to get the replacement right more than anything else. Ultimately, if Falkirk are throwing a lot of money at him along with a long term contract, we can’t and shouldn’t be doing that for a manager who has performed the way McGlynn has since January (form and the involvement in that signing). I would have been happy to see him continue on the same terms but his performance in recent months doesn’t justify breaking the bank for him.

However, the board surely can’t just line up James McPake as an immediate replacement without interviews and inviting applications as has been rumoured? I appreciate fans are keen for us to get a move on with signings for next season but I’d rather we took a couple of weeks to get the recruitment process correct and appoint the right person rather than rushing into another mistake because of timing.

Ray McKinnon was appointed on 23rd May and put together a new squad that finished 4th so it can be done. Yes, we were better after January that season but we were barely out the top 4 even before that.

The board have handled this whole thing appallingly but it’s important they don’t panic now and get the next appointment right and don’t compound their mistakes. We have the core of a decent squad signed up, if we get the next appointment right there is no reason next season has to be a mess and we can certainly improve on McGlynn’s last 4/5 months. 

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

And if said Assistant leaves, can we really still employ his wife as CEO ?

Conflict of interest potentially

I honestly believe there's more potential for a conflict of interest while husband and wife remain at the same club.