The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I know where you are coming from, we all know the high regard McGlynn is held in for his work with the club (Goodwillie aside). I was certainly leaning towards keeping him after signs he had started to turn around the major slump and he has clearly done a good job over the piece with us.

However, if Falkirk are offering a 2/3 year deal with a large wage increase, can we really justify offering that to someone who up until a couple of weeks ago had won 1 league game in 16 and oversaw an horrendous collapse in the second half of the season? Any other Raith Rovers manager in my lifetime would have been getting hounded out for such a run.

A change might not be the worst thing for both parties but the next appointment is absolutely critical. If we get it right, there is no reason we can’t push on again next season. Get it wrong and we will be in real trouble. The board have to show their ambition and make sure they don’t f**k this up. 

Yeah agree with this totally, but...

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Losing John Mcglynn is not the part that really bothers me.  He is a safe pair of hands, but if the club had a structured plan in place to look for something different/better with a view to moving the club forward then I can get on board with that. I don't think that is especially likely, but would like to think the club could explore that option at least.  As much as I love the guy, its Raith Rovers FC not John Mcglynn FC and time does move on.

What bothers me is that it appears that isn't the case.  It looks like the club wanted Mcglynn to stay, but haven't been able to convince him.  Given the affinity that Mcglynn has with the Rovers, and the bluster that the club give about Premiership ambitions, that is very concerning.  What is also concerning is that we will likely now be looking for a "Plan B", fishing in a shallow pond.  

this is my fear. I'm pretty indifferent to say the least about whether McGlynn stays or goes, but I had hoped that if he left it was because the club were in control of the situation and had decided to move in a different direction. Instead it feels like we've been guilty of some complacency, caught out and will now be floundering about at the last minute amongst the usual uninspiring suspects looking for a successor.

26 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

Surely you would make an approach to Jack Ross at the very least? Even though he'd probably laugh down the phone.

As has been mentioned, Ian Murray is an interesting one. Similar to Ray MacKinnon in many ways, done well at Airdrie and if he doesn't get them promoted, he could well be tempted to Starks.

Jack Ross never relocated to Scotland when he was Hibs manager, he stayed down south with his family. I'm certainly not keen on someone who won't live within an easy travel to the ground.

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

McPake is my fear too. His CV as a young manager is probably enough to tempt an incompetent board with a promotion to the Premier League and Dundee getting worse after he left this season. Quite a few mitigating factors there though and the reality is I am fairly certain he’d be another Gary Locke.

4 minutes ago, spot on said:

McPake has been lined up to take over

Fucking hell. McGlynn leaving doesn’t need to be a disaster, we can get better. He is a solid Championship manager but not irreplaceable by any means. However, losing McGlynn and replacing him with McPake would be a fucking disaster.

You are usually, as your name says ‘spot on’ but I really hope you’re miles off this time.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

If we ended up losing Mcglynn and appointing Mcpake, that would be an absolute horror show. 

I mean, he got promoted yes, but Dundee were pretty much poison for 9/10ths of that season, and that was with guys like Charlie Adam and Jason Cummings in their team.

He would be a monumental blunder, although that's par for the course for this board I suppose.

The banter years are well and truly underway aren’t they? I’m trying hard not to overreact, McGlynn looked done just a few weeks ago, but at this stage we factually have:

* An owner who speaks about closing us down on a whim and in whom most of the support has lost confidence
* A rapist on the books with little detail on how we plan to get rid
* A club legend manager being offered a new deal but leaving for the league below
* A board consisting of Sim, a new chairman who also wanted Goodwillie, an HR expert just in the door and… er, Tom Morgan…. tasked with finding a replacement at short notice
* over £2k a month down from our most loyal supporters in the Players Fund
* An as yet unknown but almost definitely substantial hit to season ticket sales

The only hope we have is getting lucky with a manager, and the odds on that happening are not good. Even someone we’d all agree is a good appointment like Ian Murray has most of a squad signed up that he might not fancy, with the ramifications of lower income to deal with too.

Momentum is building, it all has a sense of inevitability about it. Wake me up in 2026 when we mount a title challenge in League One.