The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

Surely you would make an approach to Jack Ross at the very least? Even though he'd probably laugh down the phone.

As has been mentioned, Ian Murray is an interesting one. Similar to Ray MacKinnon in many ways, done well at Airdrie and if he doesn't get them promoted, he could well be tempted to Starks.

He wouldn't pick up the phone in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm fully expecting Sim to not be concerned about losing him, and to appoint an absolute the cheapest relevant option he can because he continues to get called out over the Goodwillie situation.

Berra... or worse: Ellis. Or some combination of the two.

Or McPake so we all know we are fucked from the get go.

If its McPake getting rumoured, I hope every Rovers fan on twitter tags him telling him to not bother his arse and that there's 41 other clubs he can try. An absolute imposter of a manager.

My fear is that without John McGlynn we're basically Ayr, Morton and Queen of the South. With respect to those teams, they've all been at the bottom end of this division for the last two seasons and have to chop and change manager to try and keep their heads above water. There's no permanence and no plan, it's just do whatever's necessary to try and stay up. 

Another two years of McGlynn and I think we'd have built enough of a footballing infrastructure to really establish ourselves at this level and push for the Premiership. Basically, if McGlynn is the manager, I don't see us ever getting  relegated from the Championship. We might not make the playoffs, but we'd always have a solid platform to build from. 

Now, as I say, I think we go straight into that bucket of "any of these teams could easily go down", and that's just with an average managerial appointment, nevermind a Peter Grant style disaster, which is well within the capacity of this current board. 

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

My fear is that without John McGlynn we're basically Ayr, Morton and Queen of the South. With respect to those teams, they've all been at the bottom end of this division for the last two seasons and have to chop and change manager to try and keep their heads above water. There's no permanence and no plan, it's just do whatever's necessary to try and stay up. 

Another two years of McGlynn and I think we'd have built enough of a footballing infrastructure to really establish ourselves at this level and push for the Premiership. Basically, if McGlynn is the manager, I don't see us ever getting  relegated from the Championship. We might not make the playoffs, but we'd always have a solid platform to build from. 

Now, as I say, I think we go straight into that bucket of "any of these teams could easily go down", and that's just with an average managerial appointment, nevermind a Peter Grant style disaster, which is well within the capacity of this current board. 

I dont get this bit, right enough. He's a good coach but hardly infallible, and nearly got found out in 11/12 when he signed half the Hearts youth team (and Graham's hernia operation working well) to steer the club around.

Granted in 5 months I'll be as miserable as the next guy because we'll likely have a dud in charge and be fucked from day 1.

Yet I can't shake the feeling we could have gone that way with McGlynn in there anyway.

1 minute ago, Raith_Rasta said:

John McGlynn set for Falkirk job as Raith Rovers boss heads up five year plan for Premiership return

this is the head line from the Daily Record…..  it’s like they’ve bugged his phone lol 😅

Odds someone’s said that on P&B Falkirk page 1-100

1 minute ago, Raith_Rasta said:

John McGlynn set for Falkirk job as Raith Rovers boss heads up five year plan for Premiership return

this is the head line from the Daily Record…..  it’s like they’ve bugged his phone lol 😅

Worth nothing he had a five year plan for premiership return here… yes we’re going to have to watch us slide back into League One as he achieves it with Falkirk.

A 'return' is stretching a bit, Falkirk haven't played in it for about 15 year. It would't be a return, more like a reanimation.

Losing John Mcglynn is not the part that really bothers me.  He is a safe pair of hands, but if the club had a structured plan in place to look for something different/better with a view to moving the club forward then I can get on board with that. I don't think that is especially likely, but would like to think the club could explore that option at least.  As much as I love the guy, its Raith Rovers FC not John Mcglynn FC and time does move on.

What bothers me is that it appears that isn't the case.  It looks like the club wanted Mcglynn to stay, but haven't been able to convince him.  Given the affinity that Mcglynn has with the Rovers, and the bluster that the club give about Premiership ambitions, that is very concerning.  What is also concerning is that we will likely now be looking for a "Plan B", fishing in a shallow pond.  

Edited by CALDERON

15 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Just hope he doesn’t take Spencer with him 😧 

Pretty sure Spencer will be gone. Doubt he'd have to drop back to league 1 though.

Look at the managers that full time clubs in this division and the one below have hired in the last two years:

Gus McPherson

David Hopkin

Billy Dodds

Paul Sheerin

Martin Rennie

Peter Grant 

Jim Duffy

John Hughes

Dougie Imrie

Derek McInnes 

Lee Bullen

Wullie Gibson 

Is there anyone there you'd want, other than Derek McInnes (who we definitely couldn't afford) and maybe Dougie Imrie (based on a fairly small sample size). 

That's the market we're about to go shopping in for a new manager. That's the best that the boards of clubs similar to ours have come up with. 

It's one thing if the board have decided that they don't want John McGlynn any more. I don't agree, but that's the decisions that boards have to make. It's another thing entirely if they've decided that actually they do want him but they've allowed him to be tempted away because they've done nothing about it until now. 

Just now, CALDERON said:

Losing John Mcglynn is not the part that really bothers me.  He is a safe pair of hands, but if the club had a structured plan in place to look for something different/better with a view to moving the club forward then I can get on board with that.  As much as I love the guy, its Raith Rovers FC not John Mcglynn FC and time does move on.

What bothers me is that it appears that isn't the case.  It looks like the club wanted Mcglynn to stay, but haven't been able to convince him.  Given the affinity that Mcglynn has with the Rovers, and the bluster that the club give about Premiership ambitions, that is very concerning.  What is also concerning is that we will likely now be looking for a "Plan B", fishing in a shallow pond.  

This is purely guess work from me, but I'm not convinced the board were really that whole heartedly hoping he'd stay. Otherwise a new contract would have been a formality at any point in the last 5 months.

Far worse than the scenario you outline, I suspect they got caught in two minds, expecting they could use the "affinity" card to keep hold of him if it came to it, yet not really sure if they wanted to. 

On his side, I imagine if the board were lukewarm about him staying, and not offering him enough (either pay, budget or both) and with the last 6 months probably being a pretty bruising experience for him, then new scenery was almost certainly quite enticing.

32 minutes ago, renton said:

By the same token, if the board wanted to keep him, but waited until now to do something about it, then it's a fucking shit show on their end.

I don't know how many examples we need that they aren't fit for purpose. It's been disappointing there is no enthusiasm for changing things up (basically because it's too hard) and this is yet another example of their cluelessness. 

I thought McGlynn should go. But if the board did want to keep him then why have they let themselves get into this position? At any point between Christmas 2020 and Christmas 2021 they could've offered a new deal, which would've been met with widespread praise. Clearly they were in wait-and-see mode, which would probably be jotters given our form. When did they change their mind? The last minute winner over Partick? The draw against the League Champions who were already on the beach?

McGlynn is no different from a player. If you want him, you need to make him an offer. And if someone else comes in and offers him more, it has to be matched. If you offer proactively, you will often avoid affording the opportunity to another club. 

Edited by Michael W

My God Christophe  Berra please no ! 
Our club is a shambles TBH all positivity then boom sign Goodwillie and the whole clubs in a hole . I don’t trust this board to do anything right whether appoint a manager , Actually write  a decent club statement that’s not came from 1960”s ideology. In fact RRFC at least say something apart from getting the begging bowl out as per usual because my players fund money has still been withdrawn since Goodwillie and I won’t be renewing my season ticket either until I see decent change in this club

24 minutes ago, Trump said:

Unlike the last few managers we’ve had, he has experience of managing in this league and achieved something at this level.

Rennie was a curveball from the states when our season was pretty much already done, Sheerin a youth coach and his only success in management, had Stewart Petrie as his assistant, and then Miller and McCracken are now a barber and an estate agent respectively.

Think that will give him a bit more slack to start with, but unlike the others, he seems to know what he’s doing.

Possibly mate but from what I’ve read last few days a fair few Falkirk fans were pretty underwhelmed about McGlynn.  As I said the issue is he needs the time to turn a team around when he arrived with us we finished 3rd well behind Arbroath and just behind Forfar it was only because we gave him the next season he was able to make the team his and pip yourselves (Covid season) by a point. I guess a lot will depend on what resources you’ve got for him to bring players in and how many jobbers you need to empty.  As you say though he’s at least proven at that level so fans may be more willing to give him time if there’s improvement on the pitch. I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough if he signs. 

9 minutes ago, renton said:

McPake is my fear too. His CV as a young manager is probably enough to tempt an incompetent board with a promotion to the Premier League and Dundee getting worse after he left this season. Quite a few mitigating factors there though and the reality is I am fairly certain he’d be another Gary Locke.

Ian Murray seems the obvious choice. I appreciate I will be very much in the minority but I wouldn’t be against Kevin Thomson either. Obviously he only did what was expected with Kelty this season so it would be a big gamble. However, we’ve seen managers with the biggest budget f**k things up before but he cruised it, had a decent cup run and I always think he comes across as quite impressive when I hear him interviewed. Probably not the time to be taking a risk like that though.

7 minutes ago, renton said:

Pretty sure Spencer will be gone. Doubt he'd have to drop back to league 1 though.

Sounded like he was staying in the article someone posted but was keen to work with McGlynn.  I’d be surprised if he dropped down too but it might be the reason he leaves.