The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

Despite what some posters on our thread would say, I think McGlynn is really the best appointment we could possibly get and we would be looking to replicate what he did with you, with us. God help him mind you.

Who do you want to replace him if he does go?

Murray from Airdrie would be the best available if he fails to get them up, we’ll cheap out and appoint Berra or possibly just give it to Goodwillie as he’s no playing. FWIW I’m not convinced Falkirk and McGlynn will work as I’m not sure your fans will give him (or anyone else) the time to turn you around, it’ll probably need two seasons especially if Pars are down there. 

I think McGlynn covers the work of at least a couple of people at the Rovers. If he goes, there needs to be a serious look at the infrastructure of the football side. 

The next appointment will be absolutely huge, and if we've lost McGlynn to Falkirk because they're offering more money than the board are prepared to match, I'm really fearful. 

Really don’t see why you are bothered by this. The majority of you quite rightly wanted him hounded out after the Goodwillie saga but seemed to quickly change your tune after the cup win. 

4 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think McGlynn covers the work of at least a couple of people at the Rovers. If he goes, there needs to be a serious look at the infrastructure of the football side. 

The next appointment will be absolutely huge, and if we've lost McGlynn to Falkirk because they're offering more money than the board are prepared to match, I'm really fearful. 

There comes a point I guess where our board and their board differ on his worth.

I worry about the likely available replacements but at the same time, on the back of the last 6 months, would you keep him? 

The managerial market is a total shambles at the moment, and the fact that Falkirk - who are in pretty much the same position as we are in terms of who they can attract - have gone for McGlynn should speak volumes. 

Short of a novice who turns out to be exceptional (a la Dougie Imrie's impact at Morton) I can't see who'll come in and do a better job. 

Murray from Airdrie would be the best available if he fails to get them up, we’ll cheap out and appoint Berra or possibly just give it to Goodwillie as he’s no playing. FWIW I’m not convinced Falkirk and McGlynn will work as I’m not sure your fans will give him (or anyone else) the time to turn you around, it’ll probably need two seasons especially if Pars are down there. 

Unlike the last few managers we’ve had, he has experience of managing in this league and achieved something at this level.

Rennie was a curveball from the states when our season was pretty much already done, Sheerin a youth coach and his only success in management, had Stewart Petrie as his assistant, and then Miller and McCracken are now a barber and an estate agent respectively.

Think that will give him a bit more slack to start with, but unlike the others, he seems to know what he’s doing.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Really don’t see why you are bothered by this. The majority of you quite rightly wanted him hounded out after the Goodwillie saga but seemed to quickly change your tune after the cup win. 

No I think with McGlynn it was pretty split from the start with half for him going and half against. Have some softened after the cup? Not sure there were still plenty in favour of him going if you read the last few pages. 

Hopefully we can move in for Ian Murray. Seems like the obvious available replacement. No confidence in this board to appoint the right man whatsoever though. Locke II incoming…

Edited by Enigma

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

The managerial market is a total shambles at the moment, and the fact that Falkirk - who are in pretty much the same position as we are in terms of who they can attract - have gone for McGlynn should speak volumes. 

Short of a novice who turns out to be exceptional (a la Dougie Imrie's impact at Morton) I can't see who'll come in and do a better job. 

Aye, I don't disagree but there is no guarantee we would have got first half of season McGlynn and not second half season McGlynn.

There is, I think, a f**k tonne of luck in terms of bringing in the right manager, and its true that managers have their sell by dates for clubs.

Its been a bruising time for him off the Park with the Goodwillie signing and maybe he wants some blue water between him and that.

Liklihood is Berra, I guess which doesn't fill me with confidence. If Airdrie don't go up, try and get Murray - a very similar mold to McGlynn.

7 minutes ago, renton said:

There comes a point I guess where our board and their board differ on his worth.

I worry about the likely available replacements but at the same time, on the back of the last 6 months, would you keep him? 

Absolutely.

Surely you would make an approach to Jack Ross at the very least? Even though he'd probably laugh down the phone.

As has been mentioned, Ian Murray is an interesting one. Similar to Ray MacKinnon in many ways, done well at Airdrie and if he doesn't get them promoted, he could well be tempted to Starks.

16 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I know where you are coming from, we all know the high regard McGlynn is held in for his work with the club (Goodwillie aside). I was certainly leaning towards keeping him after signs he had started to turn around the major slump and he has clearly done a good job over the piece with us.

However, if Falkirk are offering a 2/3 year deal with a large wage increase, can we really justify offering that to someone who up until a couple of weeks ago had won 1 league game in 16 and oversaw an horrendous collapse in the second half of the season? Any other Raith Rovers manager in my lifetime would have been getting hounded out for such a run.

A change might not be the worst thing for both parties but the next appointment is absolutely critical. If we get it right, there is no reason we can’t push on again next season. Get it wrong and we will be in real trouble. The board have to show their ambition and make sure they don’t f**k this up. 

Edited by R.R.FC