The New Raith Rovers Thread

32 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Agree with all of this. If McGlynn ends up not being our manager next season and he doesn’t get a proper send off tonight I’ll be fucking livid. 

On 01/02/2022 at 00:51, Hank Scorpio said:

Last one before I go to bed, and likely last one for a long time. 

I am fucking shocked and beside myself at what’s happened tonight at Starks’ Park, and even more so at the actions of those who I trusted to keep the morals of the club in tact. Unsure how I’ll now spend my Saturday’s as yet, but it sure as shit won’t be in Kirkcaldy. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Any decent Raith players out of contract this summer?

Tumilty (who I’ve accepted is away anyway) and Spencer aside, there isn’t an out of contract player I’d be too bothered about leaving. I know you’ve tried to sign Bene before and frankly you can have him.

Of course if you just submit the same offer you made to Clyde for Goodwillie in Janurary I’m sure we’ll accept.

Edited by Enigma

29 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Tumilty (who I’ve accepted is away anyway) and Spencer aside, there isn’t an out of contract player I’d be too bothered about leaving. I know you’ve tried to sign Bene before and frankly you can have him.

Of course if you just submit the same offer you made to Clyde for Goodwillie in Janurary I’m sure we’ll accept.

Think you're lumbered with him for a while yet.  Surely you will be paying him off.

As said before, I don’t really have an issue whether he stays or goes but very poor from the club if he is allowed to leave without a proper send off.

Is it possible the discussions are now under way with McGlynn and there has been no announcement because negotiations are ongoing and nothing is signed? That would be the only real explanation for no confirmation on the situation. Talks could easily have begun after the Hamilton game and I don’t expect that process would be completed in 5 days.

Might be reading too much into a throw away comment but his pre match interview on the website didn’t sound like someone who knew they were on their way out, his last line was something along the lines of ‘We’re going to need the support of the fans going forward as well’. 

If I had to put money on what the most likely course of events has been, it's that someone from the club has said "John, you're not planning on going anywhere are you?", he's confirmed that he's not, and they've agreed to sort out the paperwork after the end of the season. 

I don't think there's been any real desire from either McGlynn or the club to do anything different, and the formalities that were about to be concluded prior to the Goodwillie deal have been pushed back until after the football's finished. 

I could well be proved wrong, but that seems to me to be the most likely situation. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Any decent Raith players out of contract this summer?

Out of a desire for distractions, a few:

Bene - Looks that another Championship year might be too much to ask, probably still do well in a League One.

Tumilty - Expected to be taken by a lower half Premiership or top level Championship team. Unlikely to drop a level.

Musonda - Would have been a shoe-in for a higher signing, but hasn’t shown as much as expected, although not given a decent shake to do so either. Doubt he’d drop a level, other Championship+ suitors likely.

McKay - Might be a League One level defender, might not be.

Spencer - Likely to either re-sign or get another Championship position, but could be a possibility, if he’s willing to drop a level.

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Out of a desire for distractions, a few:

Bene - Looks that another Championship year might be too much to ask, probably still do well in a League One.

Tumilty - Expected to be taken by a lower half Premiership or top level Championship team. Unlikely to drop a level.

Musonda - Would have been a shoe-in for a higher signing, but hasn’t shown as much as expected, although not given a decent shake to do so either. Doubt he’d drop a level, other Championship+ suitors likely.

McKay - Might be a League One level defender, might not be.

Spencer - Likely to either re-sign or get another Championship position, but could be a possibility, if he’s willing to drop a level.

Not sure about bene considering his penchant for getting red carded at TFS.

5 hours ago, Paco said:

Yeah, it’s poor. I can appreciate the board didn’t want to offer a contract either in the midst of a terrible run or when the play-offs were still on the line. But last Saturday cleared that up and in my mind, Monday afternoon should’ve seen either a picture of McGlynn signing his contract or plans for a ‘John McGlynn Day’ at tonight’s match posted on the website.

Surely they’re not still deliberating? The board must know the outcome so it would’ve been nice to know - if this was some no-mark journeyman I wouldn’t really mind the secrecy. ‘We intend to start contract negotiations…’ would’ve done if he’s staying. And if he is going, it’s not right to either let him go without fuss in the summer or to force McGlynn himself to make it clear to the fans at the game.

So much for the transparency they promised. The Emperor holds all the cards

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Don't know where the talk about Bene not being good enough is coming from. 

Aye, he has his rash moments as do the majority of CBs but he reads the game well most of the time and wins more than his fair share in the air.

He's a keep for me.

Me too. Happy for him to stay. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio