The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
On 26/04/2022 at 11:38, Jilted John said:
So you’d sack him after one bad run despite everything else he’s achieved? Even if you look at the players signed in January, they weren’t additions, they were replacements. Williamson and Stanton replaced Tait and Spencer. Gullan replaced Vaughan (then got injured himself) only Mackie was an addition to the squad. 

Personally I’d give him a 2yr deal and if we are unable to get a top 4 spot next season then it’s time to part ways. He’s got enough credit in the bank to deserve another crack IMO.

To be fair if he had actually played Poplatnik in the first half of the season he probably wouldn't have bothered to sign Gullan. For a pre contract with Poplatnik was the way to go if he had been given games. It may not have been possibly but for me he is far better.

I think if he’d played Poplatnik from the start of the season, Gullan wouldn’t have been the only striker we wouldn’t have signed…

3 league wins in 2022 (with the opportunity to hit the dizzy heights of 4) is unacceptable for a team fighting relegation let alone a team at the right end of the league. I don't think that can just be dismissed as a bad run tbh, it points to more fundamental failings. 
You are also choosing to ignore the full reasoning I think he should go and I'm not sure if that's a deliberate ommission or not. He had credit in the bank to weather a bad run, I agree; much of it was blown on the Goodwillie transfer. Being the only person that had to speak publicly on the matter (as little as he may have wanted to), he asked for the opportunity to put it right. The only way he can do that is by delivering on the pitch, and he didn't. The malaise was prolonged, with the positive results coming too late to salvage the playoffs. Had the issues been limited to solely a terrible run I would.potentially reconsider, but taking it as a whole, I think he should go. 
Injuries are part and parcel of a football season and that's what the squad is there for. We didn't have to bring in players to strengthen the squad, but we did. In some cases, this was because the players McGlynn brought in were not good enough. We had cover in midfield for Spencer, but Riley-Snow was not up to it. We had a perfectly decent striker all along, but McGlynn wouldn't play him. Mackie was similarly brought in as the LB signed in the summer isn't great. I thought the board showed plenty faith in McGlynn and really did give him the backing he deserved to try and get to where we wanted to. 

Correct. Nando Mendy, Blaise Reilly Snow, keatings. Two of whom on two year deals. Snows contract extended for injuries gets, punted on loan and doesn't get much of a game. IMO not one of the youngsters on loan will return and play. That including who is out of contract. Its a massive task for a new manager. We can't afford these crappy squad signings. If we hadn't played celtic in the first cup game we'd be fucked for cash in bringing in the players that we did.

If you were happy to offer him a new contract at the end of last season, and he had got one, would you have been clamouring for his dismissal now, costing us more £££ or would you have let him continue and rebuild?
It costs, nothing to let his contract run out [emoji848]

It took poplatnik being paired up with someone and a complete change in tactics for him to hit form so if he had been played in place of varian from the start I'm not sure we would have been playing the final game with nothing to play for. 

Eta: I don't mean we'd be playing for promotion. 

Edited by grumswall

The problem with Berra is there’s a fair chance he’s shite, most first time managers never manage a second team. If he’s actually any good he’ll be offski by the close of next season. Would be pretty shite seeing McGlynn off to Falkirk without even putting anything under his nose to just appoint Berra.

2 hours ago, raith_94 said:

I couldn't trust the current board to appoint a better manager than McGlynn.

This is probably why I’d keep him. Appreciate that it’s better the devil you know, but who knows who we get. Even if it’s someone like Berra, could be a success, could be a disaster. After the absolute shit show off the field this season, I think we need stability. I’d take the safe option rather than a punt on the unknown. Give him one more year without the fiasco to see what he can do. 

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

These Raith TV slots with players talking about their team mates repeatedly describe Berra as separate, quiet and not part of the banter, in the club or even on the bus. One of the lads he is not. I don't think this would be the usual transition from player to manager, were it to happen. Makes you wonder how long term a plan it was when we brought him in.

He’s much older, married and strikes me as a fairly intelligent guy. No great shock that he’s not at the heart of the young guys banter. Think it’s the same at most clubs. 

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Iv only seen it mentioned on here so probably not 

McGlynn is one of those unfashionable managers who doesn’t really get linked with other jobs. I think it’s because he’s an older guy, fairly downbeat in interviews and definitely not a self promoter. That’s why he gets overlooked despite being far superior to the likes of John Hughes and other self promoters. 

18 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

McGlynn is one of those unfashionable managers who doesn’t really get linked with other jobs. I think it’s because he’s an older guy, fairly downbeat in interviews and definitely not a self promoter. That’s why he gets overlooked despite being far superior to the likes of John Hughes and other self promoters. 

I don't think he's particularly bothered about getting a job elsewhere. He left a job where he was getting to travel and watch football to come back to us. He clearly has raith rovers at heart. He's also not been much of a success at other clubs a d is by n large loved for the majority of his time here 

It's pretty funny to see the same people who werent happy when he came back are the ones effectively defending him now. Hiya Frank x

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

He’s much older, married and strikes me as a fairly intelligent guy. No great shock that he’s not at the heart of the young guys banter. Think it’s the same at most clubs. 

Pretty much identical to Dave Narey when he was here.

On the night of the league cup win, while most of the boys were tearing it up into the night, Narey and Ian Redford called into Valente's for a fish supper on their way home.

8 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Pretty much identical to Dave Narey when he was here.

On the night of the league cup win, while most of the boys were tearing it up into the night, Narey and Ian Redford called into Valente's for a fish supper on their way home.

I knew he celebrated it with a chippy but I’d be very surprised if Valente’s was open that night! 🍻🍻🍻

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

I knew he celebrated it with a chippy but I’d be very surprised if Valente’s was open that night! 🍻🍻🍻

John would have made sure he'd have had plenty of staff on duty that evening while he was off invading the pitch with Jimmy and Martin at the end of extra time 😄. The chippy at the west end of the High Street was certainly  hoaching that night. Met the late Bobby Reid there and had a great blether. He'd just returned from dropping off Willie Polland at his home in West Lothian. Happy happy days indeed 😊