The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Rumour has it he's off to Falkirk😲

If the Pars go down I could see him end up there, he's probably the only guy that could get either or back up again

He'd be a great appointment for Falkirk, although if they're not top at Christmas there's a reasonable chance he'll get punted. 

This is of course the other issue with us doing nothing. If we don't make an offer, someone else might well do so. Perhaps it's more lucrative and perhaps the absence of an offer until now might make some feel like they're not valued like they feel they ought to be. Attempts to extend might therefore end up looking foolish. 

We need some form of continuity thats for certain, If he goes I'd expect Smudger to go with him, and unless Berra was brought in with an eye to being his longterm replacement and that has happened now, the board have left it a bit late in the day, but I bloody wish they'd cone out and say something one way or the other

Aye, Berra would get it, and we'd be back where we were last time McGlynn left. Total punt. 

For me we're in a situation where I don't particularly want him to stay at this point and don't particularly want him to go either.

The board need to make a call, and now.

Berra would be a bad call imo, players promoted from within rarely if ever work. You are going from colleague and team mate to managing these people. Then there's the issue with signed players he doesn't fancy. 

Berra may well be a good ma ager one day but needs to be somewhere he didn't play. 

Just now, pub car king said:

Berra would be a bad call imo, players promoted from within rarely if ever work. You are going from colleague and team mate to managing these people. Then there's the issue with signed players he doesn't fancy. 

Berra may well be a good ma ager one day but needs to be somewhere he didn't play. 

Exactly this. 

I might be reading too much into it but I know Berra didn’t go on the Xmas night out, he also chose not to lift the cup aloft when it was passed down the line to him. Has he purposefully been trying to separate himself from being one of the boys? 

These Raith TV slots with players talking about their team mates repeatedly describe Berra as separate, quiet and not part of the banter, in the club or even on the bus. One of the lads he is not. I don't think this would be the usual transition from player to manager, were it to happen. Makes you wonder how long term a plan it was when we brought him in.

Tumilty, Musonda, Bene, McKay, Spencer, all out if contract and some probably wont re-sign / be kept......... Williamson, Poplatnik, Varian, (Mackie) away back to their respective clubs...... Lang and Vaughan out longish term.

If its not going to McGlynn ( and I've come round to thinking better the devil you know) then whoever is going to be our Manager has a hellava job on their hands finding replacements of better quality

Are the Board daft enough to have left all this to the last minute,.................. I think so

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Tumilty, Musonda, Bene, McKay, Spencer, all out if contract and some probably wont re-sign / be kept......... Williamson, Poplatnik, Varian, (Mackie) away back to their respective clubs...... Lang and Vaughan out longish term.

If its not going to McGlynn ( and I've come round to thinking better the devil you know) then whoever is going to be our Manager has a hellava job on their hands finding replacements of better quality

Are the Board daft enough to have left all this to the last minute,.................. I think so

In fairness Vaughan will be ready to start pre season training. It's whether he finish it uninjured that's the question.

This isn't the year for a rookie manager if indeed that's what happens

we potentially need a sizeable rebuild in defence and midfield. There seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes as well. 

Next season is a crucial one for me, we either rally and recruit well going for the play offs/championship. Or we are looking at play offs at the other end of the table. 

At the cup final I was watching Berra and Vaughan standing with arms folded watching the rest of the team warm up and I joked the two of them looked every inch our next management team...

Echo the comments above, in that I would worry Berra turned out like Murray, or even worse. 

The flip side would be that he would surely have an extensive network of contacts. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This isn't the year for a rookie manager if indeed that's what happens

we potentially need a sizeable rebuild in defence and midfield. There seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes as well. 

Next season is a crucial one for me, we either rally and recruit well going for the play offs/championship. Or we are looking at play offs at the other end of the table. 

When it comes to experience, for me we either stick with McGlynn or try and get Ian Murray or Craig Levein in. 

I don't see any other decent options that would be even vaguely gettable. I guess this is probably why a lot of the support are reluctant to see the back of McGlynn. 

Either way, we need this sorted now. If he's going, announce it now so he can get a decent send off. If he's staying, get the contract signed and get on with planning for next season. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

8 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Been out of the loop for a while......IS McGLYNN LEAVING?  Or is this so,eome trolling?

He's out of contract sometime probably in the next 20 odd days and hasn't been offered a new one yet, so....

Edited by renton

So you’d sack him after one bad run despite everything else he’s achieved? Even if you look at the players signed in January, they weren’t additions, they were replacements. Williamson and Stanton replaced Tait and Spencer. Gullan replaced Vaughan (then got injured himself) only Mackie was an addition to the squad. 

Personally I’d give him a 2yr deal and if we are unable to get a top 4 spot next season then it’s time to part ways. He’s got enough credit in the bank to deserve another crack IMO.
To be fair if he had actually played Poplatnik in the first half of the season he probably wouldn't have bothered to sign Gullan. For a pre contract with Poplatnik was the way to go if he had been given games. It may not have been possibly but for me he is far better.