The New Raith Rovers Thread

54 minutes ago, Caskie Rover said:

McGlynn ans Smudger were very open at the POTY Dinner, there isn't currently an offer of a new contract to them as of yet. if there was they would have signed it by now. 

They want to stay, Sim needs to get his finger out before it starts affecting recruitment for next season.  

Pretty clear that if McGlynn is 'under pressure' from anyone, it is solely from the board that have not offered him a new contract. 

I was surprised they didn't offer him an extension after last season or indeed in the first half of this one. 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Which is why Sim’s interview comment on hoping JMcG would continue suggests to me that JMcG hadn’t yet been convinced to stay. I think the faff regarding DG and JMcG’s football statement soured him on managing, at least at Raith (if not completely), and suspect he will “retire” and move to something like overseeing Hearts youth development programs.

Just stop.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Pretty clear that if McGlynn is 'under pressure' from anyone, it is solely from the board that have not offered him a new contract. 

I was surprised they didn't offer him an extension after last season or indeed in the first half of this one. 

It was a while ago now so I'm maybe not remembering all the detail, but did Bill Clark not suggest that there was a quarterly board meeting scheduled for about two days after the Goodwillie debacle and that the first item on the agenda was McGlynn's contract? It'd have been waved through at that stage, if it hadn't been for everything else that happened first. 

Rather than the conclusions of any grand Texan psychoanalysis, I suspect it's been a simple case of "get to the end of the season and worry about it then". I'm sure the bad run of form played a minor part, but more than anything I think everyone just wanted to get over the line. 

Who honestly knows what John Sim thinks these days, but taking everything into account I'd be pretty surprised if McGlynn isn't still in charge at the start of next season. 

12 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I've personally not heard a shout for McGlynn to go from the stands. He ain't exactly going to come out and say "ah folk on pie and bovril forced me out". That said he has to very quickly change his management style to continue.

If McGlynn leaves Raith I would have him as Queens manager.

He is what we need to get out of League 1.

I don't think he will go as experienced managers like him are difficult to get.

Which is why Sim’s interview comment on hoping JMcG would continue suggests to me that JMcG hadn’t yet been convinced to stay. I think the faff regarding DG and JMcG’s football statement soured him on managing, at least at Raith (if not completely), and suspect he will “retire” and move to something like overseeing Hearts youth development programs.
Except we now know the reason he's not signed up is that he hasn't been offered anything. And had he, he would have accepted. So.....

29 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Except we now know the reason he's not signed up is that he hasn't been offered anything. And had he, he would have accepted. So.....

'mon noo, you're not expecting Tx to believe that are you?

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
13 hours ago, TxRover said:

Useful to hear, but a bit confusing, isn’t it? Sim would extend, JMcG would extend, no offer tabled despite season about to end. What is the BoD thinking then? As they quietly shopping the job first?

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Useful to hear, but a bit confusing, isn’t it? Sim would extend, JMcG would extend, no offer tabled despite season about to end. What is the BoD thinking then? As they quietly shopping the job first?

Why would Sim be shopping for a replacement when he's on record as saying there's no vacancy?

20 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Why would Sim be shopping for a replacement when he's on record as saying there's no vacancy?

I guess the point is that Sim might not be being honest here. If he wants McGlynn back then why hasn’t he offered him a contract. He is hardly going to say ‘we’d love to have him back if we can’t first find someone else who is better’

42 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Sim isn’t on the BoD now. He is quoted as hoping to have JMcG back. JMcG says no contract has been tabled.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sim isn’t on the BoD now. He is quoted as hoping to have JMcG back. JMcG says no contract has been tabled.

Sim might not technically be on the board but we all know he's still effectively the chairman. 

I'd like to think management contracts will be sorted by the end of next week whether thats the current team or theres someone new been approached weeks ago, otherwise we're gonna be at the arse end of signing players nobody else wants

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

2 hours ago, RRPT said:

Sim might not technically be on the board but we all know he's still effectively the chairman. 

I know…so his comment is interesting.

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'd like to think management contracts will be sorted by the end of next week whether thats the current team or theres someone new been approached weeks ago, otherwise we're gonna be at the arse end of signing players nobody else wants

Too right.

I think it's plausible, maybe probable, that contract decisions would be left until the season's outcome was assured. Whilst mathematically still possible for us to reach the playoffs, albeit by way of a freak Mor-ten type result, it's really only Saturday there that it in reality became a remote chance. I suspect / hope contract discussions will be ongoing now.

If McGlynn leaves Raith I would have him as Queens manager.
He is what we need to get out of League 1.
I don't think he will go as experienced managers like him are difficult to get.
If your on about Queens Park maybe but I'd think QOS at his age is possibly too far a travel.

It was a while ago now so I'm maybe not remembering all the detail, but did Bill Clark not suggest that there was a quarterly board meeting scheduled for about two days after the Goodwillie debacle and that the first item on the agenda was McGlynn's contract? It'd have been waved through at that stage, if it hadn't been for everything else that happened first. 
Rather than the conclusions of any grand Texan psychoanalysis, I suspect it's been a simple case of "get to the end of the season and worry about it then". I'm sure the bad run of form played a minor part, but more than anything I think everyone just wanted to get over the line. 
Who honestly knows what John Sim thinks these days, but taking everything into account I'd be pretty surprised if McGlynn isn't still in charge at the start of next season. 
If the attitude of the board is just to play out the season before deciding, they need a Rocket up thier arse. The two options are if he stays he should have been informed a while ago and given the chance to talk to potential players for next season. If he is being released a new manager must be in the pipeline and ready to come in quickly. In this league you can't afford to dither and wait on signing players. The options are limited and you need to be in a position to act swiftly if required.

20 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
11 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

If the attitude of the board is just to play out the season before deciding, they need a Rocket up thier arse. The two options are if he stays he should have been informed a while ago and given the chance to talk to potential players for next season. If he is being released a new manager must be in the pipeline and ready to come in quickly. I'm thus league you can't afford to dither and wait on signing players. The options are limited and you need to be in a position to act swiftly if required.

Totally agree with this. I'm hoping that something has been agreed verbally (be that to stay or go) for a while and that plans have been made behind the scenes. 

If this isn't the case and we are genuinely dithering over this it is completely unacceptable.