The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I wonder what McGlynn’s thoughts are? He’s been there or thereabouts in the league with Rovers the last two seasons. Just needs one season where we get lucky with injuries and we’re promoted.

Other clubs must look at the job he has done twice with Rovers and think he could be their man. Falkirk have had yet another disastrous season in League 1. McGlynn would sort them right out.

I’d like to see him get a shot at a bigger club, the likes of Dundee, but they are a basket case. If he decides he’s staying with us and he thinks he can get us up to the Premiership then fair enough.

It would take McGlynn to have a really poor start to next season to see him punted, and even then he'll probably get a decent bit of leeway. He's get a decent payoff. The squad we've got all seem to be quite happy to play for him, and we've got a number of players under contract for next season already. I can't see him not being here next season. He'll pen a new deal imo. 

I think this season, we've been very unfortunate again with our injuries (but then what's new). If we'd not lost Spencer at the beginning of December all the way through until 5 games to go, I think we'd have been in a lot better position. I don't think Caley or Thistle are hugely better than us - we've only lost to both of those teams a total of 3 times from 8 fixtures. We even held our own against Arbroath and Killie in all but two games (so far). 

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

Mcglynn will probably find this as a good time to leave. Won a cup and restablished us in the championship again. I was calling for his head a couple of weeks ago but honestly I'd still like him to be here next season. I'd like to see him finally take us to that next level. I'm not convinced he can but I think he probably does deserve the chance to try based on the football side of things during his two spells here. The former youth players such as Vaughan, Matthews, callachan, Bowie, tait etc are a good example of the work he has done. His part in the Goodwillie fiasco and the horrendous form we had from mid December is the flip side of that. For me the good outweighs the bad with him in his time here. 

Yea, I think the reaction to his comment on the DG signing shook him deeply and he’s decided to step down. Will I miss him, yes…is it time for him to go, on the balance, yes. I don’t feel that JMcG is any more than a mid level Championship manager year in and out. That’s not a slur on him, but he seems to lack a certain amount of ability to adapt to in-season changes, is a little too committed to his longer term players, and is determinedly pig-headed on some decisions (Varian over Poplatnik, for instance).

If we had a youth setup, JMcG would be a great manager for them, if not for his faux pas earlier this year. As it is, I could easily see JMcG and Smudger moving to head the youth development at premiership side, as out of the spotlight he would be able to work his development magic.

All that being said, I don’t have a magic answer to a replacement, and we’re going to enter the most important signing period with, potentially, no manager and some big holes in next years squad. Not good, and it could be a real struggle next year irregardless (😏) of the manager because we will be late out of the blocks.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yea, I think the reaction to his comment on the DG signing shook him deeply and he’s decided to step down. Will I miss him, yes…is it time for him to go, on the balance, yes. I don’t feel that JMcG is any more than a mid level Championship manager year in and out. That’s not a slur on him, but he seems to lack a certain amount of ability to adapt to in-season changes, is a little too committed to his longer term players, and is determinedly pig-headed on some decisions (Varian over Poplatnik, for instance).

If we had a youth setup, JMcG would be a great manager for them, if not for his faux pas earlier this year. As it is, I could easily see JMcG and Smudger moving to head the youth development at premiership side, as out of the spotlight he would be able to work his development magic.

All that being said, I don’t have a magic answer to a replacement, and we’re going to enter the most important signing period with, potentially, no manager and some big holes in next years squad. Not good, and it could be a real struggle next year irregardless (😏) of the manager because we will be late out of the blocks.

I fully expect mcglynn to be here next season. I'm fine with that as well. I think we as a club have that mid table championship glass ceiling that needs to be broken. That can only happen by building a squad capable of doing so and he's undoubtedly the only manager we've had since nicholl capable of doing that. 

I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again. This was a rebuild season for us. We lost the likes of hendry who was irreplaceable for his role. We managed a 5th placed finish and a cup win. I had us between 6-8th iirc. The run of form that had me wanting mcglynn gone was worse than the pars sacked grant for. Overall it hasn't been a bad season for us on the pitch. Dissappinting, yes. Bad, no. 

9 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I fully expect mcglynn to be here next season. I'm fine with that as well. I think we as a club have that mid table championship glass ceiling that needs to be broken. That can only happen by building a squad capable of doing so and he's undoubtedly the only manager we've had since nicholl capable of doing that. 

I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again. This was a rebuild season for us. We lost the likes of hendry who was irreplaceable for his role. We managed a 5th placed finish and a cup win. I had us between 6-8th iirc. The run of form that had me wanting mcglynn gone was worse than the pars sacked grant for. Overall it hasn't been a bad season for us on the pitch. Dissappinting, yes. Bad, no. 

I don’t disagree with most of that, except that JMcG has blind spots that will prevent us breaking that glass ceiling. If JMcG returns next year, unless he signs before May, and starts assembling some signings, I’d expect us to finish between 6th and 9th. If we replace JMcG (my prediction), I’d say the range is 3rd to 10th, depending upon manager, budget and signings.

Geesus TX!

6th to 9th? 3rd to tenth? You're all over the shop. New manager to possibly get us relegated? All the more reason for letting John McG continue. He'd certainly make sure we avoided relegation and associated playoffs.

Why not just be sensible with with your"predicting"and say 1st to tenth?

Edited by embow

It's probably an understatement to say that we did well in the cups; but, in the league hardly anything ran for us. Surely we can't have so many injuries and lose so many cheap points next season. That's if McGlynn is still here - If he leaves I think we'll nose dive.

If we keep defending the way we do, we will. I think if Mcglynn stays, we could possibly start next season with a bit of a hangover from this one and we could find ourselves up against it. It’s been good to get a few back to back wins, but I think it papers over the cracks. Getting Lang back would be a boost, as long as it’s not bene in there beside him. I thought we would finish 6th this year and would have been happy at that, but after being where we were 5th feels like a bit of a disappointment.

10 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I thought we would finish 6th this year and would have been happy at that, but after being where we were 5th feels like a bit of a disappointment.

This part I agree with, so frustrating after how things were looking after our 1-0 win at home to Killie. Your first part, I felt differently. Actually felt a top 4 finish could have more straight forward in comparison to last season. 

This part I agree with, so frustrating after how things were looking after our 1-0 win at home to Killie. Your first part, I felt differently. Actually felt a top 4 finish could have more straight forward in comparison to last season. 

I thought with killie coming down, partick and inverness, i thought would do well and I expected more of hamilton, so that would be where we would finish. Mind you at 62 minutes in the hamilton game I thought we might win the league[emoji23]