The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well that's th season over for me too.... am in Glasgow and was going to head to Firrhill on Saturday but I think I'll keep my £20 in my wallet. Saturday killed the season stone dead for me.

As a game it embodied much of this season. An inability to fill the bench again due to yet another injury crisis, a team that had promise they consistently failed to deliver, and a feeling, certainly from Christmas onwards, that everything had gone stale on the pitch. Off the pitch the whole Goodwillie shitshow that was our BoD taking a 12 bore shotgun and blowing both feet off. A win in the cup was welcome but papered over everything but at least it made me smile until Wednesday at East End.

Much as I'm grateful for JM's contribution to the club overall during his two spells, and he should always be welcome back with open arms at Stark's, I think it's time he and Smudger moved on. We've been completely sussed out by the rest of the league and I think we need new voices for the players to listen to. This close season is an opportunity for a reset on the pitch and in the Boardroom and I hope it happens . I usually hate the close season but I'm glad of the break this time round to rediscover my enthusiasm.

11 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's all well and good talking about folk like Val, but it's the folk who would go to Peterhead away in the pissing rain in mid November who we're still missing. I don't think there'll be any attempt from the club to engage with these people unfortunately.

These supporters have the same value as people who make a handful of games each season. 

A focused engagement with supporters "who would go to Peterhead away in the pissing rain in mid November" would only serve to alienate our supporters who can't justify such a trip. 

Went for McDonald and Matthews goal against Killie although it was a close call with Ethan Ross goal against ICT

Received annual accounts ending May  2021 via email from club today but cant fathom out how to get them up on here.Just a jumble of figures that an auld bugger like me cant make head nor tail off

Im going for connelly for poty. He's a vastly underrated player and even when not playing well, will work himself in to the ground for the team. Macdonald would be second for me as despite becoming a little more error prone this season, he has still managed to make some incredible saves and gain us points. 

44 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Went for McDonald and Matthews goal against Killie although it was a close call with Ethan Ross goal against ICT

Received annual accounts ending May  2021 via email from club today but cant fathom out how to get them up on here.Just a jumble of figures that an auld bugger like me cant make head nor tail off

The Companies House accounts don't show profit & loss account figures but from the balance sheet it would appear we made a profit of £150k for the year. 

One thing I was surprised at was that the floodlights were apparently paid for through RRFC rather than Stark's Park Properties Ltd. 

These supporters have the same value as people who make a handful of games each season. 
A focused engagement with supporters "who would go to Peterhead away in the pissing rain in mid November" would only serve to alienate our supporters who can't justify such a trip. 
Well yeah, that's self evident. We should be going looking to contact any fan who has decided to walk away and reiterate how important they are to the club and what steps the club are taking to make amends regardless of how many games they were attending.

I went for Zanatta. Purely going on the first half of the season when he scored a few cracking goals and entertained me. Honourable mentions to Connolly and Ross for providing the rest of the great goals.

Berra and MacDonald have been the rocks of the team, but that’s not as entertaining. If a goalkeeper wins your POTY it shows you what sort of season you’ve had.

11 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The Companies House accounts don't show profit & loss account figures but from the balance sheet it would appear we made a profit of £150k for the year. 

One thing I was surprised at was that the floodlights were apparently paid for through RRFC rather than Stark's Park Properties Ltd. 

Maybe the £500,000 we got from the Covid business payment (it's in the figures) went towards the lights? If it wasn't for that payment we would have been in a real financial hole.

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

This is why voters can’t be trusted and democracy will die.

While he wouldn't be my choice, he's got three more goals than anyone else, and he's second for assists. 

He might not have shaken a leg for about four months, but he's still been one of the best over the course of the year. 

16 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

While he wouldn't be my choice, he's got three more goals than anyone else, and he's second for assists. 

He might not have shaken a leg for about four months, but he's still been one of the best over the course of the year. 

He’s a reminder of the good times. When we scored great goals and won games, in the year of our Lord 2021. In the halcyon days before the evil Glasgow fog descended and smothered our season.

I’d imagine that a lot of the voters are doing the ‘they’ve been shite for ages, but someone has to get it’ thing and going for MacDonald, Berra, Matthews or the likes. You’ve just looked at who has played a few games and went ‘he’ll do’. The second half of the season has killed it.

Edited by Scary Bear

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He’s a reminder of the good times. When we scored great goals and won games, in the year of our Lord 2021. In the halcyon days before the evil Glasgow fog descended and smothered our season.

I’d imagine that a lot of the voters are doing the ‘they’ve been shite for ages, but someone has to get it’ thing and going for MacDonald, Berra, Matthews or the likes. You’ve just looked at who has played a few games and went ‘he’ll do’. The second half of the season has killed it.

That's pretty much the case I would say. I looked through the list and most of them had either suffered from a drop off in form in recent months, or been injured for months.

That's why I picked MacDonald. He's played almost every week and maintained a decent standard throughout.

If I was ignoring injuries then the likes of Berra, Spencer and Lang would have possibly been in contention.

18 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

How much did the floodlights cost? 

That year would include the £500k covid grant and also the c£100k raised by the fans when lockdown started, which is a £450k gap...

Edit: answering my own question, the amount is £145k, from the notes to the accounts (capital commitments). Not clear to me if that's included in the accounts or not. 

I also have no idea why the club is paying for something that Starks Park Properties is the beneficiary of. 

On the plus side, the club has an additional £200k in cash that it didn't have in the previous financial year. 

Edited by Michael W

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

How much did the floodlights cost? 

That year would include the £500k covid grant and also the c£100k raised by the fans when lockdown started, which is a £450k gap...

Edit: answering my own question, the amount is £145k, from the notes to the accounts (capital commitments). Not clear to me if that's included in the accounts or not. 

I also have no idea why the club is paying for something that Starks Park Properties is the beneficiary of.

On the plus side, the club has an additional £200k in cash that it didn't have in the previous financial year. 

Something to do with one man in charge of both companies/businesses?

Not sure if I,m reading these properly but it appears or administive expenses are £440,462 compared to £301,346

£504,000 Goverment grant

£132,969 Job retention scheme

Edited by Rovers_Lad

I dunno, Zanatta was as bad in the second half of the season as he was good in the first so comes out a net 0.

Berra, Connolly and Matthews have all had more good games than bad.

Up until his leg break I'd personally have had Spencer down for it as he was the metronome behind the team when we were doing well, and had stepped up into Hendry's role really well.

16 hours ago, renton said:

I dunno, Zanatta was as bad in the second half of the season as he was good in the first so comes out a net 0.

Berra, Connolly and Matthews have all had more good games than bad.

Up until his leg break I'd personally have had Spencer down for it as he was the metronome behind the team when we were doing well, and had stepped up into Hendry's role really well.

By my reckoning - and a quick check through results and scorers - Zanatta won us 16 points with his goals. That’s not even starting on his assists.

Morton 0 v 1 Rovers - 3 points

Ayr 0 v 2 Rovers - 3 points

Rovers 3 v 2 Partick Thistle - 3 points

Rovers 1 v 1 Dunfermline - 1 point

Rovers 2 v 1 Ayr - 3 points

Accies 0 v 3 Rovers - (we were getting the 3 points anyway, but he got the third goal)

Rovers 1 v 0 Kilmarnock - 3 points

What position would we be in without his goals? He stopped scoring and we stopped winning. If it wasn’t for his goals this season could have been a relegation scrap with the Pars.

We’ve only won 10 out of 33 league games and half of those were thanks to big Dario Zanatta. He is the reason we haven’t been relegated.

You know it makes sense. #VoteDario 🇨🇦 

Edited by Scary Bear