The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

And yes, Dave McKay is not the answer. 

Depends on the question. He’s not a starting Championship CB right now, but if we need a reserve player, he’s the devil we know, and likely relatively cheap. Ideally, for him, he’d go to a League One team next year.

Edited by TxRover

Depends on the question. He’s not a starting Championship CB right now, but if we need a reserve player, he’s the devil we know, and likely relatively cheap. Ideally, for him, he’d go to a League One team next year.

Unless the question involves the lowland league, McKay is not the answer. By all accounts he seems a nice enough guy and he’s never let us down in terms of effort but he’s a mile away from what we need, even as a ‘reserve player’.

12 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Genuine question, how many league games has John McGlynn won this season? He was out at the beginning of the season and Smudger took the team, we’ve got 10 wins this season but how many were Smudger? 

It was last season McGlynn was out due to health reasons.

Good to see the Grand SFA Conspiracy being highlighted  I thought it was only me that had seen this grave injustice that’s robbed us of Champions League football at Starks all these years 😂. Honestly the refs are just pish, no plot to keep us from winning the players manage that all on their own.  

Edited by San Starko Rover

The season is over.

However, it would be just like the Rovers to go to Firhill and win. Probably in front of a small but hardy band of Rovers diehards, to narrow the gap to 3 points, with 2 games to go. Obviously goal difference kills us too, but that would be just enough hope to keep me interested.

12 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Dont think for one minute JS (who owns the whole shooting match)is going to slink into the background with little or no influence directly or indirectly on what goes on in the boardroom 

He’s completely in charge of everything at the club and will continue to be regardless of who is Chairman. That’s why appointing MacDonald is so frustrating. Would have been an easy hit for the club to move on from Goodwillie by appointing a fresh face, not someone tainted by it. Maybe no one new is daft enough to get involved. 

Edited by roverthemoon

30 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

He’s completely in charge of everything at the club and will continue to be regardless of who is Chairman. That’s why appointing MacDonald is so frustrating. Would have been an easy hit for the club to move on from Goodwillie by appointing a fresh face, not someone tainted by it. Maybe no one new is daft enough to get involved. 

Alex Penman would’ve been my choice, yes he was a controversial figure, nobody messed with him either. 

It's been a very odd long, dreadful run of form. Obviously part of that is because it's been punctuated by a (minor) cup win, but I felt like Wednesday night was the first time the fans really turned on the team (albeit I wasn't at the game where we were turned over by Ayr, where I can imagine there was a fair amount of disgruntlement). Other than that, and even yesterday, there's been a general air of disappointment more than anything else, and the players have been clapped off the park after 90% of these defeats. 

I was thinking yesterday about other Rovers teams that have been brutal over a prolonged period, and other teams in this league who've been poor, and generally there are players who stand out as being utterly dreadful, or having stinking attitudes, and that's just not been the case. We don't have that villain, that Barrie McKay or Ross Perry who makes you groan when they step onto the park. Who's the worst player we've had this season? Blaise Riley-Snow? He wasn't great but he wasn't a disaster either, and his attitude was never in question. 

McGlynn, by accident or design, has probably built the most "guid hoanest laddies" squad I've ever seen, it's just that the depth of quality in certain parts of it is paper thin. I'm not seeing players downing tools or not putting in the effort, there's just not enough players available right now who are good enough for the Championship. 

If you could remove all injuries and suspensions, the first choice eleven is probably good enough for a second or third place finish in this division. Put in an eleven made of the second choice in each position and they'd struggle to get off the bottom. Obviously to an extent that's the nature of building a squad with the kind of budget we've got, but I think there's a lesson to take into next season with regards to resilience, not just in terms of positions, but also experience. 

I don't think the team was ever quite as good as the earlier long unbeaten run suggested, or as poor as this poor run of form suggests now. Over the piece, we've not been one of the best four teams in the division. 

Going into next season, from a purely footballing perspective, I think McGlynn's position is on a knife edge. I can understand totally anyone who looks at one win in sixteen and wants him gone, but I'm looking around at the other managers who've been recruited by Championship teams this season and it's clearly not a great pool to choose from. Imrie has done brilliantly, and McInnes has come from a market we don't shop in, but Hughes/Taylor/Gibson/Bullen/Dodds? I wouldn't thank you for any of them.

I'd almost want to do the full recruitment process and see who came out on top and then compare them to McGlynn and make a decision on his future. 

Generally speaking, McGlynn adapts quite well year-on-year and makes improvements. It's not perfect, we'll finish in a worse place than we did last year, but he had the loss of Hendry etc to cope with. 

I could very well be proven incredibly wrong, but I think if you keep McGlynn on, the realistic worst case scenario is finishing seventh or eighth in the Championship. I don't see a total year-long collapse under him. But, with his limitations, playoffs are almost certainly the best we can hope for. Could we bring in a new manager who could sustain a title challenge? It's definitely possible. There are good enough managers out there. But it's just as likely, if not likelier, that we appoint a Peter Grant and see years of progress disappear in a matter of months. 

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Alex Penman would’ve been my choice, yes he was a controversial figure, nobody messed with him either. 

People like Alex Penman wouldn’t take it on these days. Penman wants to be top dog in a room, not answering to Sim.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

He's got to want to be involved and no disrespect to him he ain't getting any younger and won't want the stress that comes with the job. Some of the comments on here against a BOD that just want the best for the club are appalling. Yes they made a mistake but we need to get over it and move forward. In terms of Penman and Smart I would like to see both join the board whether they will is a different story.

20 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

He's got to want to be involved and no disrespect to him he ain't getting any younger and won't want the stress that comes with the job. Some of the comments on here against a BOD that just want the best for the club are appalling. Yes they made a mistake but we need to get over it and move forward. In terms of Penman and Smart I would like to see both join the board whether they will is a different story.

There’s no harm in asking them if they wanted to. MacDonald and co sabotaged our season, it wasn’t just a mistake it was ignorance of the highest order. I’ll support the players and the badge. Just not the people behind the scenes. Who’s to say this lot of charlatans won’t do the same next season. Sorry for the rant. 

Don’t think McGlynn will be here next season, if he was getting renewed it’d be out there by now.  From the BOD point of view release him and Smith and there’s a good chance the CEO might walk too and they can make them the fall guys for the whole DGW saga while pointing at SM as chairman and 2 new board members as “meaningful change” in the Boardroom. The current dreadful run will just make it easier for them to throw McGlynn under the bus without too much uproar from the Stands.  I said after the DGW signing that McGlynn should fall on his sword and I’m sad to say nothing since has changed my mind. However like everyone else I’ve little faith in the board getting it right if they replace him.  Who’ll be brought in? Or will they cheap out and give it to Berra? 

All in all this season has been an utter clusterfuck from dreadful signings to a total collapse on the pitch, the sooner it’s done the better.  

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Understandable, as disappointing as it may be. They were never going to appoint a total newbie to that position. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

We might manage to start moving forward when the board issues a proper explanation and apology for the entire debacle and explains how the hideous payoff is going to be funded. 

Mistakes can be forgiven, but not without contrition being shown. 

I don't think the BoD have made a decision on McGlynn yet. The goal this year was to finish top 4, although unlikely, it is looking like we wont make it. It is only when we have confirmed ourselves as out of the top 4 that the BoD will make that decision. The cup win may just sway them to keep him for another season but I don't think we should offer anything more than one season, if anything at all. 

As said by many others, the market is looking like very slim pickings. The choice of all these other duffers other clubs have tried isn't exactly setting the hedge on fire. McGlynn could still be the best we can get. I cant see any other championship manager jumping ship to us, league 2 managers aren't exactly top picks either and league 1, well we are really only looking at Petrie who is linked to every full time position but never moved for whatever reason or Ian Murray at airdrie. He could be a shout if they don't make it through the play offs but doubtful he would move if he managed to win them. 

Next season really is going to be crunch time but i am so glad we got out of league 1 when we did. My fear was that we would end up how Falkirk are just now. 

We must be the only team to ever be singing the managers name on a Sunday then be hounding him out on the Wednesday! 

To put a bit of perspective into this debate, if someone had offered you mid table championship football and a cup win just as covid struck two years ago, you’d have been commissioning that statue. 

For what it’s worth I would give the current management team another crack, if we don’t make the top 4 next season then it’s time to part ways.