The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Folk used to blame Michael Woods when we were there! I remember people on here saying that we started getting all the injuries when we started training there. 

Aye I don’t know what the answer is. Probably a few factors at play. We do seem to sign a fair few players with chequered histories, Lang springs to mind, who will be predisposed to bad injuries. I find it hard to believe our injury woes are all down to just bad luck.

Edited by Enigma

36 minutes ago, Enigma said:

This is a bit second or third hand but I spoke to somebody who asked a physio at Motherwell if he knew of any reason why we get so many injuries and without elaborating his response was something along the lines of “I’ve seen your set up and put it this way I’m not surprised”. Is it a coincidence that we seem to have had a shocking amount of injuries ever since leaving Michael Woods?

Sorry, do you train exclusively at Starks now?

League table since our home win over Killie:

image.png.0491c1a1b1e38eb8f327e938c4afd26f.png

Least points, least wins, least goals scored, most goals conceded. To further put into perspective, Dunfermline's diabolical start to the season, they still had 13 points after their first 15 games (in fairness their 2 wins came in game 14 and 15). But whatever way you look at it, it is spectacularly bad form and without any turnaround in the last 4 games I can't say I would agree to McGlynn's contract being extended, his recent record would not justify it.

8 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

League table since our home win over Killie:

image.png.0491c1a1b1e38eb8f327e938c4afd26f.png

Least points, least wins, least goals scored, most goals conceded. To further put into perspective, Dunfermline's diabolical start to the season, they still had 13 points after their first 15 games (in fairness their 2 wins came in game 14 and 15). But whatever way you look at it, it is spectacularly bad form and without any turnaround in the last 4 games I can't say I would agree to McGlynn's contract being extended, his recent record would not justify it.

Christ seeing that in its full context is frightening reading

Has there been any other manager in recent times thats survived those kind of stats

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

That is a horrendous run of form for sure! The fact that we still have a sniff of the playoffs is incredible and down to a superb start of the season.

Also of course down to Partick and Inverness being just a little bit less shite than us!

Had we maybe had a little bit more luck and a few more breaks of the ball then who knows. Classic if's and but's assessment of a season.

Obviously if we had Vaughan all season we'd have had a title party by now.

Do we even have a statistically significant increased number of injuries compared to anyone else? 

Even our most recent extreme injury hit game against Arbroath, we were missing seven players:

MacDonald: Injured in a collision in the previous game 

Berra: Injured in a collision in the previous game 

Benedictus: Suspended

Lang: ACL, long term

Musonda: International duty

Williamson: Suspended

Vaughan: ACL, long term

In addition, Spencer was on the bench but probably not fit enough to play, he's recovering from a broken leg suffered in a collision mid-game. We also lost Jamie Gullan to an arm injury that game, following a collision. 

Having all those players unavailable certainly makes it difficult to win games, but I don't think there's any evidence there to feed into the "players aren't conditioned well enough" narrative. All the conditioning in the world isn't going to strengthen Brad Spencer's tibia or stop Jamie Gullan's shoulder from popping out. 

Lang and Vaughan are the two that you could look at as "preventable", in theory, with the right management, but those players are both clearly susceptible to that kind of injury, and prevention isn't an exact science. If it was, we'd never see recurring injuries again. 

We're definitely seeing players pulling up with minor injuries now and players who are tiring later in games, but the cause and effect is backwards. It's not that we have so many unavailable players because their conditioning is bad, it's that the remaining players' conditioning is suffering because they're having to play so much football. 

That's not to let the management team off the hook. There are clear issues when it comes to squad building, primarily the recruitment of players with known injury problems and the choice to go more than half the season with only one left back and two wingers, but it's not as simple as "sack the physio because he's making the players run too much on our plastic pitch and so they keep getting hurt" and it's certainly not because they're doing too much video analysis. 

1 minute ago, Flemboflem said:

Obviously if we had Vaughan all season we'd have had a title party by now.

Amazing as Vaughan is he’s only one man, I don’t buy that if he’d somehow stayed fit all season we wouldn’t still have a dodge defence and not still thrown leads away, as we have. We’d certainly be better off, but I doubt we’d have had the champagne on ice.

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Suspensions and international duty aren't injuries, so you had 4 out injured, not 7.

That's kind of my point. There's an emerging narrative that we've had this massive injury crisis (caused by watching too many videos) but it's been more of a selection crisis. I might be forgetting someone from the first half of the season, but our only real significant injuries have been Musonda (carried over from last season), Vaughan, Lang and Spencer. 

I suppose you could count Keatings too, but that seems to be more of a chronic issue and he was punted out on loan whilst still technically "fit". 

Since the start of the season, we've picked up a medium term injury and two long term. Is that significantly worse than other teams in the division? I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

That's kind of my point. There's an emerging narrative that we've had this massive injury crisis (caused by watching too many videos) but it's been more of a selection crisis. I might be forgetting someone from the first half of the season, but our only real significant injuries have been Musonda (carried over from last season), Vaughan, Lang and Spencer. 

I suppose you could count Keatings too, but that seems to be more of a chronic issue and he was punted out on loan whilst still technically "fit". 

Since the start of the season, we've picked up a medium term injury and two long term. Is that significantly worse than other teams in the division? I doubt it. 

We're kind of the same.  We're playing half the season without Scott Allardice, who was superb before Christmas, one of the first names of the teamsheet.  And you know two other guaranteed starters, Doran and Welsh, will pick up injuries constantly and can be out for 4-6 games at a moments notice.

We've hardly had any suspensions this season that stick out, think we've had 1 red card (2 yellows) and that was Carson a few games back, which I think has helped us pull away slightly from you.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

We've hardly had any suspensions this season that stick out, think we've had 1 red card (2 yellows) and that was Carson a few games back, which I think has helped us pull away slightly from you.

Both teams have had 51 yellow cards. Rovers have five reds to Caley's one.

I used the word "self-inflicted" a lot in reference to last night's game, but it applies to other aspects of this season too. 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

He was permacrocked when we had him and I think you were lucky to get more than 40 mins out of him.

It’s a shame as there’s a player there and he seems a top guy to boot.

There is also a thing where in certain positions we have single points of failure. One guy goes out and the replacement either can't do the job even a tenth as well, or we end up jigging around half a tram to accommodate the player being out which then affects everyone else.

Why we decided last night was the time to bring Spencer back in to the team and to then play the slow pass about the defence pish is beyond me. Poplatnik has been on fine form while he had someone playing next to him. Surely for a team that has struggled at times for goals, when you have a striker banging them in, you don't then change the formation isolating him again. Mckay is not championship level but he was on a hiding to nothing with the tactics we were playing last night. I didn't see all of the game but the only one who came close to pass marks last night was Ross from what I did see. We have had to move players about due to injuries/ suspensions but 1 win in 15 just isn't good enough.

I always viewed this season as a rebuild season but with the budget for next season surely diminished and the backing he's had this season I do think it's probably time for mcglynn to move on. With changes in the board room apparently set to happen I think the club may opt to give him another year but I guess we will need to wait and see how everything transpires.

32 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Why we decided last night was the time to bring Spencer back in to the team and to then play the slow pass about the defence pish is beyond me. Poplatnik has been on fine form while he had someone playing next to him. Surely for a team that has struggled at times for goals, when you have a striker banging them in, you don't then change the formation isolating him again. Mckay is not championship level but he was on a hiding to nothing with the tactics we were playing last night. I didn't see all of the game but the only one who came close to pass marks last night was Ross from what I did see. We have had to move players about due to injuries/ suspensions but 1 win in 15 just isn't good enough.

I always viewed this season as a rebuild season but with the budget for next season surely diminished and the backing he's had this season I do think it's probably time for mcglynn to move on. With changes in the board room apparently set to happen I think the club may opt to give him another year but I guess we will need to wait and see how everything transpires.

I foresee massive budget cuts unfortunately, major sponsors leaving us high and dry over the most  blatantly stupid signing ever. 

48 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Who, at the football club now, can reliably make a good appointment if we change manager? On what basis?

Chicken entrails? Some folk swear by tea leaves but I'm a traditionalist.