The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Against The Machine said:

Introduction of a Fans' Panel at Stark's Park

Another really positive move from the club. The proof will be in the pudding over the medium-to-long term, but it's another sign of a willingness to change and have controls in place to avoid repeating the mistakes of the recent past. 

How is would this be different from what the Raith Trust already do?

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

How is would this be different from what the Raith Trust already do?

I don't know, because I don't know what the Trust do that would be equivalent to this, and I'm a member of the Trust. 

That's not necessarily a dig at the guys who run the Trust, because I genuinely don't know what you mean. Is there some sort of regular consultation between the club board and the Trust? If so, does it involve just the 'leadership' at the Trust, or rank and file members? 

I've just signed up to be a prospective member of that panel. Short of applying to become the Supporters Director, I can't think that I've had the opportunity before to be a (consultative) part of the club's decision making process before. 

3 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Introduction of a Fans' Panel at Stark's Park

Another really positive move from the club. The proof will be in the pudding over the medium-to-long term, but it's another sign of a willingness to change and have controls in place to avoid repeating the mistakes of the recent past. 

If that had been in place for the Goodwillie saga would it have changed a thing? AFAIK, just from twitter and on here but you had plenty Raith fans making there feelings very, very, very clear on the matter of Goodwillie when it was floated at the start of January. 

When it came to actually signing him you had board members resigning (including the fans rep) because those who had the real power weren't interested in listening. 

It looks like a positive step forward for fan engagement but it wouldn't have stopped the incident. 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If that had been in place for the Goodwillie saga would it have changed a thing? AFAIK, just from twitter and on here but you had plenty Raith fans making there feelings very, very, very clear on the matter of Goodwillie when it was floated at the start of January. 

When it came to actually signing him you had board members resigning (including the fans rep) because those who had the real power weren't interested in listening. 

It looks like a positive step forward for fan engagement but it wouldn't have stopped the incident. 

Probably not, no. The guy(s) in charge decided they were doing something and ploughed on regardless of other feedback. It's a situation that could happen at (I'd guess?) most clubs in the country.

Once this German conglomerate own 80% of the Pars, if they decide they want to play in navy blue kits then there's no amount of fan consultation or resigning directors/sponsors that would have the power to stop them. It's the nature of outright majority ownership, and short of selling ~30% of the club, it's a dynamic that's not going to change. 

This latest move is a further sign that the Rovers leadership are creating channels of communication so that, going forward, there's more diversity of input, but they're also demonstrating a greater willingness to listen. As I said in my initial post, the proof will be in the pudding. We've no choice but to take it on good faith at this point and hope that their actions match their words.

Ultimately, the club could make every season ticket holder a director and hold weekly board meetings in the South Stand, but if John Sim decides next Thursday that he wants to move the club to Bangkok so that he can watch the games from the balcony of his luxury apartment, there's nothing anyone can do to stop him. 

Well that's the season done now. Playoffs gone and in all honesty we'll be lucky to hold onto 5th. 

This has been one of the weirdest seasons watching the rovers and we are not a club thats short of ridiculous seasons. 

In all honesty I think I need a rest to try and make sense of it all. The sublime to the ridi ulous doesn't begin to do it justice.  

Abysmal performance tonight  maybe one shot on target the whole game , I haven’t a clue what we were trying to do as per usual we have to be a goal down to put a bit more effort in . The pressure was on Dunfermline tonight we should have taken the game to them  but instead decided to do this side pass side pass turgid crap .

That was genuinely atrocious tonight. To have such an abject record in a league which is so abject is humiliating. 

There’s a number of examples of teams ending seasons poorly and starting the next in the same fashion. 

Considering we have so many players signed up for next season, I can’t say I’m confident in MCGlynn getting much out of them when he hasn’t been able to do it for months now. 

Time for change. 

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

That was genuinely atrocious tonight. To have such an abject record in a league which is so abject is humiliating. 

There’s a number of examples of teams ending seasons poorly and starting the next in the same fashion. 

Considering we have so many players signed up for next season, I can’t say I’m confident in MCGlynn getting much out of them when he hasn’t been able to do it for months now. 

Time for change. 

I suspect the players understand that JMcG and Smudger are gone come June. There will likely be no more signings until a new manager is named, and we’ll end up scraping the bottom of the barrel to complete our back line for next year. S**t!

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect the players understand that JMcG and Smudger are gone come June. There will likely be no more signings until a new manager is named, and we’ll end up scraping the bottom of the barrel to complete our back line for next year. S**t!

Unless there's contingency plans already in place, you are probably correct in your conclusions Tx, and maybe explains why we cant win a league match, but there was a cup and winners medals fir the pkayers to play for on Sunday 

Sunday we were lucky to be level at half time. After we got the second Queens collapsed you could see they were done. However had they got a second  our shite defence would likely have crumbled against a buoyant team. 

Our problem all season has been game management and organisation at the back. Even when we were winning we consistently let in late goals and turning wins into draws. 

I wonder what percentage of the fan base are in the McGlynn out camp now? I am a huge fan and always have been, he has been a fantastic manager for us but 1 win (against the bottom side) in 15 league games is absolutely abysmal whatever way you look at it. For me, it’s time for a change.

I get the argument that there isn’t a manager with as good a track record as McGlynn based on his whole time with us but looking at the fixtures we could very easily finish the season with 1 win in 19 league games, you can’t possibly start a new season with that person in charge. I really hope he can turn it around with a few wins and strong end to the season but if not, it saddens me to say, he has to go. 

It's a weird one. 

McGlynn mk.1 was a stickler for tight organisation and game management.

McGlynn mk.2 loves the footballing equivalent of basketball. Just open all the time.

Tonight, there was some cup hangover going on - Connolly looked shot from the get go, Tumilty barely got moving.

However, the most significant factors were that Musonda looks a shadow of the player he was, Zanatta looked like he'd never seen a football before, Spencer hasn't had a minute of football since December and McKay is way above his ceiling now... and above all else, that McGlynn once again chopped and changed his formation from what had worked OK in previous league games.

Call it another difference between mk.1 and mk.2: the prior McGlynn would keep an 11 and a formation going until it fell apart. This one is second guessing himself every other game.

McGlynn's recruitment this year overall hasn't been poor but neither has it been particularly good (putting aside the obvious January f**k up) but while guys like Lang, Berra and Ross have added to the team you have wastes of time like Riley-Snow and Keatings or absolute jobbers like Dick, or even unlucky perma-crocks like Gullan.

Having said that, given the large number of signed players we have to make the Summer recruitment work far better than usual... we can't afford any duds and while I could individually go through each player already signed up in the squad and make a case for their inclusion it's a question of whether we had the right balance, and how that is addressed in the Summer is crucial.

There is also, a reality check in terms of quality. We have said throughout that centre back was a position we were well stacked on - even though actually we even ran out of players still but while Lang and Berra are good quality players, Bene is largely middling, and prone to costs mistakes that you can't really afford from a near constant starter. Musonda looks a shadow of the player from last season and McKay isn't championship quality.

So of 5 guys, really only two are good enough to play for a team wanting to finish top half more often than not, both are currently injured: one long term and the other is ancient.

And you can play that game through the whoe squad, really. Not enough balance and really, not enough of a consistent level of quality.

We likely need in the Summer: too CBs, a right back, two centre mids, two strikers and another wide option.

Is McGlynn the guy to see that recruitment through with basically no duds? Can he rediscover some consistency in his coaching, bring some solidity back into the side?

I honestly couldn't tell you. The likely list of names for the job would raise your hair if anyone had any left after the last few months. On the other hand, I guess you can't be afraid of change.

Edited by renton

That shocker was firmly on McGlynn tonight. Okay, Dick isn't everyone's cup of tea, but is he a better left back than Musonda? Yes. And is Musonda a better centre half than McKay? Of course he is. So why aren't we starting that match with Tumilty, Bene, Frankie and Dick as the back four? 

Also, bringing Spencer in from the start after seemingly having no interest in even giving him 10 minutes off the bench was absolutely wild. We'll never know if a match sharp Spencer would have made that mistake for the first goal, but it does not make the decision look very clever.

We should also have changed formation at half time rather than make a like for like change. 

He's done himself no favours at all tonight and I don't really see us winning any of our last 4 matches now. 

Hes been well backed financially by the board this season, even backed him for the very costly one, that if he'd given Poplatnik the chance we'd not have been in the mess we found ourselves, and yet here we are struggling to put points on the board , if this is allowed to continue into next season we'llbe in the play offs alright.......... at the wrong end of the table

5 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I assume Dick was still suffering from the effects of that head knock on Sunday. Not even Mcglynn is radge enough to go with that back four unless it was forced upon him.

For all he's a middling jobber at best, a concussed Dick would have done better than Musonda in there tonight.

I really feel for Frankie Musonda. In the last month, I think he's now been asked to play in every position across the defence (except in goals, although who knows what McGlynn has planned next...) Agree he hasn't always hit the heights he did last season, but every time he looks to get a bit of momentum going and recapture his form, he gets moved around to cover an injury or suspension somewhere else. I still think there's a really good player there and I'm delighted he got his first cap and goal for Zambia, but he's had rotten luck and really been a victim of circumstances outside his control this season.

3 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

I really feel for Frankie Musonda. In the last month, I think he's now been asked to play in every position across the defence (except in goals, although who knows what McGlynn has planned next...) Agree he hasn't always hit the heights he did last season, but every time he looks to get a bit of momentum going and recapture his form, he gets moved around to cover an injury or suspension somewhere else. I still think there's a really good player there and I'm delighted he got his first cap and goal for Zambia, but he's had rotten luck and really been a victim of circumstances outside his control this season.

I agree with this. Has he had three starts in a row in the same position at any point this season? I'm not going to look it up, but I'd be surprised. Nobody's going to flourish in an ever-changing situation like that. 

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I agree with this. Has he had three starts in a row in the same position at any point this season? I'm not going to look it up, but I'd be surprised. Nobody's going to flourish in an ever-changing situation like that. 

Hes not likely to sign a new contract based on that either, an abject lesson from management on how to chase good players away