The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, pub car king said:

Shopping list.

Defence

1x rb tumilty will be away

1x lb it's a weakness and mackie isn't proving to be the answer.

3x cb Bene will probably sign.  Musonda is an unknown but I think he will be gone and we need one more unless there is a youth prospect?

We have Young behind Dick at LB and Masson at CB in the development plan.

4 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I think you are being slightly unfair with your player assessment. 6 strikers, Mahady will be away, Vaughan we cannot count as there is a good chance he won't make it back without breaking down, which I really hope he doesn't but 4 ops on his knees is not good. Coulson if still at the club will be put out on loan. Ross and Gullan can play out wide or in a deeper role whether that's a number 10 or attack midfield. Connolly and Zanatta are wingers, that leaves us one number 9 in Mitchell. We need 3 strikers. 

By resigning Spencer and bringing in another midfielder that gives us 5 central midfielders for 3 slots along with Ross or Gullan that could play a more advanced att mid role. 

Yes I agree the defence is light  but we already have Berra, I mentioned Bene as one of the centre halfs so I'm assuming he is signed up. Lang will come in at some point after his op. We need another centre half and cover at fullback.

You mentioned none of that before, but now your assessment is much clearer and more balanced.

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

According to the Arbroath commentary, Mcglynn didn’t leave the dugout at half time. Smudger also did the media stuff after the game. That’s a bit strange.

McGlynn was suspended after getting sent off last week, he spent the entire game in the stand directly behind the dugout, nothing strange about that.

15 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

McGlynn was suspended after getting sent off last week, he spent the entire game in the stand directly behind the dugout, nothing strange about that.

Ahh fair play. For some reason I thought he was called up in front of the beaks and his suspension wouldn’t be until then! 

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

Everybody on here seems to be saying Tumilty will be away. Why? Have I missed something?

He hasn’t been announced as an extension signing yet, and is out of contract at seasons end. Most people feel he’s shown enough ability to tempt a team that can offer more dosh, especially after this fiasco probably reduces our budget a fair bit.

On the topic of staying and going, let’s take a look at our youth:

Bow (2023) - (GK) Still recovering from a knee injury, and only recent action is at the junior level last year.

Masson (2023) - (CB) Away to the juniors for playing time. Modern Apprentice.

Young (2023) - (LB) A few minutes this year, lots of time on the bench. Modern Apprentice.

Arnott (2023) - (CM/AM) Playing in small amounts, and looking quite promising. Strong contender to start in 2022-2023.

Coulson (2023) - (LW/AM) Getting limited time at Cowdenbeath. Fan reports show a high motor and energetic player, but hasn’t defined himself as a League Two starter.

Mahady (2023) - (CF) After getting little to no time on loan at Cowdenbeath, now generally languishing on the bench at the Shippy. Not showing a sign of potential for the Rovers at this time, but who knows how he looks in practice.

Mitchell (2023) - (LW/CF) After a few minutes with the Rovers, has moved to Bo’ness as their speedy and pesky Left Wing. Very popular there, has several goals, a MotM, and is wearing their “9”. Granted it’s LL, but likely with a successful loan spell in League Two or One next year, could well be a future player for the Rovers.

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

On the topic of staying and going, let’s take a look at our youth:

Bow (2023) - (GK) Still recovering from a knee injury, and only recent action is at the junior level last year.

Masson (2023) - (CB) Away to the juniors for playing time. Modern Apprentice.

Young (2023) - (LB) A few minutes this year, lots of time on the bench. Modern Apprentice.

Arnott (2023) - (CM/AM) Playing in small amounts, and looking quite promising. Strong contender to start in 2022-2023.

Coulson (2023) - (LW/AM) Getting limited time at Cowdenbeath. Fan reports show a high motor and energetic player, but hasn’t defined himself as a League Two starter.

Mahady (2023) - (CF) After getting little to no time on loan at Cowdenbeath, now generally languishing on the bench at the Shippy. Not showing a sign of potential for the Rovers at this time, but who knows how he looks in practice.

Mitchell (2023) - (LW/CF) After a few minutes with the Rovers, has moved to Bo’ness as their speedy and pesky Left Wing. Very popular there, has several goals, a MotM, and is wearing their “9”. Granted it’s LL, but likely with a successful loan spell in League Two or One next year, could well be a future player for the Rovers.

Yeah Arnott should be really looking to kick on and push for regular first team action next season. Mitchell is another with a chance although maybe he'll get a loan at league 1 or 2 level next season. 

Young has a big season ahead next year. I've never seen Bow play, while Mahady doesn't look like he'll make the grade. Coulson looks to have a better chance than Mahady but looks to have plenty of work still to do. 

30 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah Arnott should be really looking to kick on and push for regular first team action next season. Mitchell is another with a chance although maybe he'll get a loan at league 1 or 2 level next season. 

Young has a big season ahead next year. I've never seen Bow play, while Mahady doesn't look like he'll make the grade. Coulson looks to have a better chance than Mahady but looks to have plenty of work still to do. 

Absolutely, Michell we should expect to see go on loan to a League Two team for the first half of next season, and perhaps move up to a League One team for the second half if he does well…but to do that, he can’t play for us. Coulson has been hurt by a period sitting, and then Cowden fighting for their life. That being said, he’ll find another League Two team willing to give him a go next season. Young is an enigma, will they loan him out to get experience, or need him for depth “just in case”. Masson will need more loan duty, and Mahady (also hurt by sitting at Cowden) will likely be sent out again to ease the cost unless they reach agreement to release him. Bow is a problem, as we want three keepers “just in case” (and we just saw why), so short term, “emergency loans”, are about his only development route.

Arnott needs to be starting next year, if not with us, then in League One or another Championship team. I’d prefer to see him start for us, but with Stanton and Matthews already in the fold, if we re-sign Spencer, where does he play? If that’s the problem, then a first half of the season in League One could be the ideal solution.

Just to take the thread off track for a quick minute. Stirling Albion are rereleasing an old kit from the 90s made by spall who are also remaking the kit (I was amazed they were still going) Anyway it must be knocking on the door of 30 years since the unbeaten season with that great team who also wore a kit made by spall. Would be good if the club could get a few made like the recent  copa cup final and europe ones. 

Here is Sinky looking resplendent in the afore mentioned design. 

Screenshot_20220328-211414_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

Just to take the thread off track for a quick minute. Stirling Albion are rereleasing an old kit from the 90s made by spall who are also remaking the kit (I was amazed they were still going) Anyway it must be knocking on the door of 30 years since the unbeaten season with that great team who also wore a kit made by spall. Would be good if the club could get a few made like the recent  copa cup final and europe ones. 

Here is Sinky looking resplendent in the afore mentioned design. 

Screenshot_20220328-211414_Chrome.jpg

I always loved that colour combo. Navy Blue, White and Red

41 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A lot of talk about player contract extensions, but no right minded player is going to sign for a club that doesn’t know who it’s manager will be in 8 weeks. 

Presumably the mess the board are in is holding any decision up.

If Sim is going to step back, who will be the new chairman? Will they want to pursue different options? Are there still new board members to come on board? Does the fans director have to be in place in order to ratify any decision regarding the manager contract?

We could still have a fairly fucking awful close season at this rate.

Ben Williamson was subbed off in the firs Scotland Under 21s game with an injury, and he now hasn't made the squad for today's game. 

I've not been particularly convinced by him up til now, always looks more likely to be booked than to play a key pass or chip in with a goal, but it could be yet another player unavailable for some period of time. 

1 hour ago, Against The Machine said:

Ben Williamson was subbed off in the firs Scotland Under 21s game with an injury, and he now hasn't made the squad for today's game. 

I've not been particularly convinced by him up til now, always looks more likely to be booked than to play a key pass or chip in with a goal, but it could be yet another player unavailable for some period of time. 

Would prefer Arnott to get some game time anyway, being totally honest.