The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 hours ago, pantene proV said:

It's more worrying that people just will not forgive a mistake anymore. I appreciate what he's done for this club and it's not dependant on one result, good or bad, or one signing, good or Goodwillie.

The subject of sportswashing is always an interesting one, fans are a fickle bunch. 

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

If we want to toss out names…

Jim McInally…Peterhead are struggling in League One, and even so are punching above their weight. Might be interesting to see what he can do with a reasonable budget, and he might be tired enough of the struggle up there.

Ian Murray…Has worked under a tight budget and certainly out performed expectations.

Kevin Thompson…But would he be willing to leave Kelty, where he seems to have an ideal setup and a lot of funds.

Paul Hartley…But he’s about to be in the Championship anyway, with a team he’s built and rebuilt.

Dick Campbell…But it’s more likely he’ll be poached by a Premiership side soon, if Arbroath doesn’t become one.

How has Ian Murray outperformed expectations? Are Airdrie not one of only two full time teams in that league? Reaching the playoffs is hardly pulling up trees for them.

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

How has Ian Murray outperformed expectations? Are Airdrie not one of only two full time teams in that league? Reaching the playoffs is hardly pulling up trees for them.

Queens Park and Falkirk are both FT.

7 hours ago, pantene proV said:

It's more worrying that people just will not forgive a mistake anymore. I appreciate what he's done for this club and it's not dependant on one result, good or bad, or one signing, good or Goodwillie.

Signing Keatings was a mistake. The Goodwillie thing goes much further than that. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Jim McInally…Peterhead are struggling in League One, and even so are punching above their weight. Might be interesting to see what he can do with a reasonable budget, and he might be tired enough of the struggle up there.

Ian Murray…Has worked under a tight budget and certainly out performed expectations.

Kevin Thompson…But would he be willing to leave Kelty, where he seems to have an ideal setup and a lot of funds.

Paul Hartley…But he’s about to be in the Championship anyway, with a team he’s built and rebuilt.

Dick Campbell…But it’s more likely he’ll be poached by a Premiership side soon, if Arbroath doesn’t become one.

Peterhead are not by any conceivable measure punching above their weight by being lower mid table in League One and while it's not Cove or Kelty, their budget over McInally's time in charge has still been huge in comparison with far better performing part-time clubs, such as Montrose winning a title ahead of them and then establishing themselves in the top half of League One, while Peterhead remain a yoyo club. He's routinely failed to avoid relegation/win promotion ahead of sides with smaller budgets in every job he's had and is a perennial playoff bottler.

McInally's father in law is the Peterhead chairman. He's been there for the last 10 years who despite getting them relegated and bottling a league with an obscenely large budget.

Honestly, none of the names being thrown out are inspiring in the slightest. I'd far rather we went with a young coach like Marvin Bartley than these people who are floating around. There's a reason nobody has picked any of them up before.

7 hours ago, pantene proV said:

There are some mistakes that are either unforgiveable or take a very long time to forgive due to the impact and scale of them. This is one of them.

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m still hoping McGlynn pulls off a miracle and gets us promoted. Unlikely I know, but that’s what I’m hoping. 

A wee bit of form at the right time going into playoffs could be critical. We've shown no signs of doing it but we're as likely as any other team in this league to go on a wee purple patch.

Unlikely, yes but possible none the less. The clocks will be in the forward position mind :)

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

This is what happens when you chuck out names.

Yeah, I'm not sure theres a manager out there, within our reach, that I would rather have here than McGlynn. This hasn't been a terrible season. The Goodwillie saga has derailed it but if he can even get it back half on track and finish the season with a bit of momentum going into next then I think we would be in a decent place.

A deal to rid ourselves of Goodwillie would help that enormously IMO.

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

A wee bit of form at the right time going into playoffs could be critical. We've shown no signs of doing it but we're as likely as any other team in this league to go on a wee purple patch.

Unlikely, yes but possible none the less. The clocks will be in the forward position mind :)

Partick thistle were sitting 5th (I think) in league one with 8 games to go. This was a shortened season but they did go on a fantastic winning streak to win the league. Anything is possible 

Barring a totally untested new manager who turns out to be a star, we won't get a better football manager than John McGlynn, it's as simple as that. 

Non-footballing reasons are obviously a different kettle of fish, but there's no sense looking around Airdrie and Peterhead for someone who's going to put more points on the board, for f**k sake. 

1 hour ago, Offshore Rover said:

Partick thistle were sitting 5th (I think) in league one with 8 games to go. This was a shortened season but they did go on a fantastic winning streak to win the league. Anything is possible 

Absolutely.

I think the championship is beyond our reach but if we can put form together to get us up to 2nd place from here that would put us in a very good position going into the playoffs. 

A result and performance tomorrow would be a good springboard for that.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Honestly, none of the names being thrown out are inspiring in the slightest. I'd far rather we went with a young coach like Marvin Bartley than these people who are floating around. There's a reason nobody has picked any of them up before.

I’d rather we stayed away from another first time manger, especially one who’s just hung up his boots. I’m sure something like 85% of football mangers only get one job, it’s not a good hit rate. If we did I’d rather go for another McGlynn, somebody who’s maybe been a coach for 10 years somewhere else and wants a shot at a managerial role. We’re a big enough club that if we’re looking for an up-and-comer we could tempt somebody doing a job somewhere else. Kevin Thomson springs to mind.

Edited by Enigma

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

This is what happens when you chuck out names.

Yea, we stopped tossing out dreams like Ross and started talking a little more directly about keep JMcG or who/what we could get in his place…I’ll take that discussion.

5 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I would also like a young up and comer, but that’s a gamble…witness Falkirk’s latest ploy. So then…

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I’d rather we stayed away from another first time manger, especially one who’s just hung up his boots. I’m sure something like 85% of football mangers only get one job, it’s not a good hit rate. If we did I’d rather go for another McGlynn, somebody who’s maybe been a coach for 10 years somewhere else and wants a shot at a managerial role. We’re a big enough club that if we’re looking for an up-and-comer we could tempt somebody doing a job somewhere else. Kevin Thomson springs to mind.

It’s a valid line of thought, and probably the best we can do if we do allow JMcG to depart. Let face it, he’s about out of contract and hasn’t be re-signed, that’s certainly a message to note.

19 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

I was all for McGlynn being replaced but seeing names like Kevin Thomson, and Jim McInally being thrown around has definitely changed my mind. Absolutely terrible shouts. 

And you suggest?

No one is going near mcinally. He has done nothing to suggest he is a good manager and realistically the only reason he's still at Peterhead is because of who his father in law is. Thomson has done nothing to really show he is a good manager. Next season will be more of a test for Kelty in league 1 and that's where he could potentially start making a name for himself with that. There isn't really anyone better than mcglynn available right now and the names being banded about here, when we don't even know what's happening with mcglynn, are pretty terrible.