The New Raith Rovers Thread

49 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Future signings: "I'd maybe have came to you if you weren't such a fuckin basket case club with a horrible reputation. Why would I want to step into that?"*

We could be in for a rude awakening on who actually wants to come here be that player or manager. 

*would all be fine if we done the unthinkable and finished in the top 4 and somehow went up. 

Chances are that any future manager or players don't really care about the Goodwillie situation. Overreacting as per usual.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Pretty much how I see it too, folks talk about bringing in a young hungry manager, those types are always a gamble and one's with real promise are like 20 goal a season strikers, rare as hens teeth and well out of our budget. 

McGlynn isn't perfect but I don't see anyone coming back with a better name to put in the frame. For every J McG there are a handful of Baz Smiths, Yogis, Lockes and Snakey McKinnons. 

While I fully agree, I also think JMcG is a mid-level Championship manager at best. His inability to adapt tactics and lineups since December have cost us dearly, and will continue going forward. However, as is noted, who the hell to we get to replace ‘em?

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Future signings: "I'd maybe have came to you if you weren't such a fuckin basket case club with a horrible reputation. Why would I want to step into that?"*

We could be in for a rude awakening on who actually wants to come here be that player or manager. 

*would all be fine if we done the unthinkable and finished in the top 4 and somehow went up. 

I'd argue the opposite. We've got plenty of good players tied down. We've got the best pitch in the league by a country mile and a reasonable fan base. We're in a position where we're ripe to offer a manager the chance to build. In all honesty, I doubt any manager in the league cares much about Goodwillie and will probably understand what we tried to do. There wasn't a single player or manager in the SPFL who came out commenting on the situation and you never see anyone within the game mention the circumstances when he's brought up. Even if it was, it's clear that it was a one off situation. 

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'd argue the opposite. We've got plenty of good players tied down. We've got the best pitch in the league by a country mile and a reasonable fan base. We're in a position where we're ripe to offer a manager the chance to build. In all honesty, I doubt any manager in the league cares much about Goodwillie and will probably understand what we tried to do. There wasn't a single player or manager in the SPFL who came out commenting on the situation and you never see anyone within the game mention the circumstances when he's brought up. Even if it was, it's clear that it was a one off situation. 

Very good points, but it will boil down to “is there the correct person(s) available at the time we are hiring” or are we capable of hiring him/her away from someone else, something I doubt. If we are hiring this summer, the first question asked will be what will the budget look like, and that might just end our hopes of a top tier hire.

Considering all that, our best choice is an up and comer who fancies his chance to show he can build a team to get promoted to the Premeirship,rather than an established name. Of course, that’s risky, to say the least.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd say the only club in this division with the remotest maybe of a chance of ever getting Jack Ross as their manager is Kilmarnock.

Maybe he’s like Yogi now and his stock is on the decline. Alloa > St Mirren > Sunderland > Hibs > Rovers > Dunfermline

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I'd say the only club in this division with the remotest maybe of a chance of ever getting Jack Ross as their manager is Kilmarnock.

Correct. And he has supposedly turned them down. Naebdy is suggesting we are about to appoint him.  

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Correct. And he has supposedly turned them down. Naebdy is suggesting we are about to appoint him.  

No, but a fellow fan mentioned him as McGlynn's potential replacement.  Not a single club in the SPFL outwith Killie and Scottish Premiership clubs could get him.  He'd want too much money.  Since Christmas I've seen Ayr, Falkirk, Raith and I think Dunfermline fans say they should go for him.

No, but a fellow fan mentioned him as McGlynn's potential replacement.  Not a single club in the SPFL outwith Killie and Scottish Premiership clubs could get him.  He'd want too much money.  Since Christmas I've seen Ayr, Falkirk, Raith and I think Dunfermline fans say they should go for him.

The fan that mentioned him was saying he’d be the only manager, out of a job, out there that we should look at over John McGlynn. Which is True. There is nobody else out there I’d rather have over John McGlynn.

17 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The fan that mentioned him was saying he’d be the only manager, out of a job, out there that we should look at over John McGlynn. Which is True. There is nobody else out there I’d rather have over John McGlynn.

Very much this.

I was mad with him at the time of the Goodwillie signing but I'm over that now. 

I've seen nothing on here suggesting Jack Ross is a viable candidate for the managers job.

I can't make my mind up if I'd like McGlynn to stay on next season or not. That being said if he does go Ian Murray would be my preference, seems to play good football and has done well at Airdrie. Not sure of his contract situation though/if it is actually realistic.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3113375/james-keatings-raith-rovers-exit-retirement/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Keatings says that he's not retiring from the game following his release. 

Great stuff that a picture of him scoring against us made it into the article. Rub it in some more.