The New Raith Rovers Thread

22 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Did Bill Clark not say that there was a review to be taken on the managers contract after the 3rd quarter of the season?

Pretty sure we would need the supporters director confirmed before the managerial decision could be finalised...

why?

From past incumbents of the post it seems they are frequently marginalised, if they agree then fine but if the disagree with Sim and his 3 minions their opinion counts for nowt.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Yep. I looked over a list of our signed players for 2022-2023, and we’re already pretty forward/winger heavy, so I seriously doubt we’ll sign another. As it stands I count 3 keepers, 5 defenders, 3 midfielders and 8 forwards/wingers. Of those players, 3 are modern apprentices and another 2 are still damp behind the ears.

Having you included DG for the sake of accuracy?😜

49 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

why?

From past incumbents of the post it seems they are frequently marginalised, if they agree then fine but if the disagree with Sim and his 3 minions their opinion counts for nowt.

Whilst I agree, it would be a fairly shite start to the "new era" of listening to the fans.

40 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'd be thoroughly pissed off with the club if MGlynn and Smith aren't offered a new contacts.

With 5th place or higher pretty much secured as well as the Challenge cup final, over the course of a season it certainly hasn't been a failure. Funny how it feels like it sometimes...

Surely getting towards contact extension time? If offered right now, I’d take a McGlynn extension. Whilst walking away from the Ayr 0-4 game after 65 minutes played, I’d have accepted his resignation at 5:30pm. Having had time to really think about it I’d keep him for another term. Who else are we going to get, genuinely? Please give names. There is literally almost no one I’d rather have. If we could persuade Jack Ross to take the position then that’d be a suitable replacement, but given he has reportedly turned down Aberdeen and St. Mirren, the chances of him accepting the post in Kirkcaldy are surely almost zero.

It’s also been alluded to that had we mixed up the results this year and ended up exactly where we are right now, no one would have too much to complain about. Eleven games without a win is undoubtedly terrible, but if you’d been offered a guaranteed shot at the playoffs and a cup final before the season started, who would’ve turned that down? 

The Goodwillie thing has been done to death, so I won’t go over old ground, you can make your own mind up. For me, there isn’t another candidate as qualified and as well suited to taking us forward as John McGlynn. 

A real case of 'be careful what you wish for' situation with getting rid of McGlynn. If you're talking purely footballing reasons, you can't justify it - you're never bringing in someone of equal ability or pedigree. If you're looking for him to leave because of the whole Goodwillie situation, that's different but the same point as previously applies; it's possible it just doesn't mean anything to you if you're principled to the point of wanting him out, regardless.

Hank's point about mixing the results up is pretty spot on. Yeah, 5th (assuming that's where Rovers finish) is generally disappointing, given what the season could have held. Given the injuries though, it's hard not to say that's a positive outcome - plus throwing the Challenge Cup final into the mix.

29 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would like McGlynn to leave in the summer but I have a real fear about who we'd replace him with. I do not trust our board in the slightest to get the appointment right.

Probably Gary Locke’s idiot cousin, who also has a blazer and a smile.

Future signings: "I'd maybe have came to you if you weren't such a fuckin basket case club with a horrible reputation. Why would I want to step into that?"*

We could be in for a rude awakening on who actually wants to come here be that player or manager. 

*would all be fine if we done the unthinkable and finished in the top 4 and somehow went up. 

Even if Management get a new contract, they will at some point in the future need replaced, so we'll face the same scenario of who to replace them with then as we may do now, I've always said hes good enough to keep us in this league whether he can take us further is another story, one things for sure Mrs Smith the CEO has to go and that may well trigger new management anyway, we will probably get more of a clue once Goodwillie is completely out of the picture

I just hope that if they are the management team next season, this run we are currently on has disappeared

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

I said at the start of the season we'd be 6th-8th this season iirc. That was based on the players we'd signed and the players we'd lost. We went on a good run early on which has masked most of the issues in the squad but those issues eventually reared their head. I almost bought in to the squad being better than it is for a while but the quality in this league gave us a false position. We were always missing 2/3 quality signings to really push for winning the league.

That isn't a slight on the management team. I don't think there's many better suited to managing raith rovers than John mcglynn. I just don't know if he can take us to that next step. Last season was the best chance we've had since before his first spell in charge Imo.

I'd be willing to back a mcglynn team next season, but he needs to learn from his mistakes. I need to see more change in the board room before I put my hand in to my wallet to back it though.

Pretty much how I see it too, folks talk about bringing in a young hungry manager, those types are always a gamble and one's with real promise are like 20 goal a season strikers, rare as hens teeth and well out of our budget. 

McGlynn isn't perfect but I don't see anyone coming back with a better name to put in the frame. For every J McG there are a handful of Baz Smiths, Yogis, Lockes and Snakey McKinnons.