The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think winning a cup for the first time as manager would be the perfect way to end mcglynns time in management with us after not getting to lead his team out in two finals. It would be a fitting end to the very good work he has actually done for this club and will take a bit of focus off of a certain signing as well.

It all means f all if we can't follow up two good performances on Saturday though and finally get that league win.

So, Dan Armstrong. I was in a minority, I think, who considered him overrated when with us, and not half the player he thought he was. I remember fondly the initial impact he made but quickly thought his decision making suspect and his supreme confidence unfounded. I shed no tears when he left the 1st time, or the 2nd time, indeed I'd resorted to calling him Aaaarrggghhmstrong whenever an over elaborate flick failed, or he conceded possession or another set piece missed all targets. Yes, he scored a couple of beauties, but just as many times gave the ball straight back.

And so McInnes wanted to give him a chance last night. The fact he needed to be given a chance says a lot. Maybe he was still recovering from being roasted by Tumilty during his goal in a previous game, but if last night was his chance to impress, I suspect, like many of his set pieces, he's missed the target. Again.

I would've objectively classed Zanatta for Armstrong as a downgrade. Whilst Zanatta has not continued his early season form, I think it's fair to say that that judgement was wrong. 

I do not miss Armstrong's ability to consistently hit the first man from any attempted cross. 

Did anyone who’s listened to the gaffers interview think he was a bit of a dick to the interviewer when asked about Varian going off at half time?

Just on Varian, what a half he had last night. I’ve been a huge critic of him but my god he didn’t half lead the line! He bullied Stokes from the start and had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

24 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Did anyone who’s listened to the gaffers interview think he was a bit of a dick to the interviewer when asked about Varian going off at half time?

Just on Varian, what a half he had last night. I’ve been a huge critic of him but my god he didn’t half lead the line! He bullied Stokes from the start and had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

It was a poorly worded  question in that he had already answered itself  and deserved the answer he got !

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I would've objectively classed Zanatta for Armstrong as a downgrade. Whilst Zanatta has not continued his early season form, I think it's fair to say that that judgement was wrong. 

I do not miss Armstrong's ability to consistently hit the first man from any attempted cross. 

Me too 

Another whose first game came in the Frank Connor era. Amazing eye for a player or lost soul to spark their career back into life. Remember his spell as Hetherston’s No2 where he’d still go off his nut at opponents and refs while waving his walking stick. Sad news.

Sad news about Frank

He did so much for our club;

Signing Dalziel and getting him to fall back in love with football

Promotion in his 1st year

Making Souness’s Rangers team play pass back for 10 minutes to see out a cup tie 

made it popular to be a Raith fan after the great arse collapse of 80/81

Thanks for all you did

Ah, that’s really sad news. He was in charge when I first started going and I thought he was great. Even now he’s still my favourite Raith boss. 

Fairly certain we were near the bottom of the entire Scottish league system and playing in front of crowds that were in the hundreds when he took over, and he turned us into a pretty effective second tier team. He laid the ground work for all the success we had in the nineties. 

Remeber interviewing him for the programme once, and he spoke for ages around how much the club meant to him, and although he was a good age at the time, his memory for players and details was excellent. 

Can’t remember the exact quote, but the last thing he said was something along the lines of,

“I’m no very tall, but every time I walked out the tunnel at Stark’s Park and heard the crowd I felt eight feet tall”

RIP Frank. 

Nearly 30 years ago, the first issue of Starks Bark carried an interview with Frank Connor. If anyone wants to see it I can take some pics.

Younger readers - Starks Bark was a fanzine. A fanzine was like P&B, but printed.

Frank is an all time Raith legend. His achievements would be considerable at any club, never mind the shambles he found when he started.

Gordon Dalziel, Jock McStay, Hamish McAlpine, Alex Brash, Ronnie Coyle and many others were all signed by Frank. RIP