The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Susie Dent.

Ok, I may have fucked up. 😂  Although, a grammar mistake, is not as bad as supporting the shippy.

Stevie McDonald has probably allowed his business on our away strip, as maybe we would have had a blan if not. I don’t think he will be trying to gain anything from it. 

I’m struggling to understand fans that have been here for years still trying to shoot the club down. You all need to realise sim isn’t going anywhere. He has actually done a considerable amount for the club. What? Get sim out? Then what? Maybe if that’s what you want then come up with some sort or plan b without killing the club.

57 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So you seriously think he's paying for the shirt sponsorship? 

I'm not having that at all. The barefaced cheek of it is something else - the sponsorship that is. 

The shit show will continue while  this bunch hold centre stage with decision making.

My own hope is some of the more trustworthy volunteers etc return to steady the ship. 

Won't stop the circus because they have no insight, no sense of their own incompetence.

What we see is these people surround themselves with Yes men/women. Just watch for the outsourcing of every task where there is a dissenting voice. 

Won't judge anyone who comes back or anyone who stays away. Thats not the big issue here.

Simple reality is this bunch are unpicking everything that's been achieved and they need to go. 

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

So one of the directors who voted in favour of signing Goodwillie now has his company name on our away shirt? 😅

Sorry I've must have missed something. We have our highest profile game of the season and our away shirt shouldn't have a sponsor. Short term why not use a director who has a local company. Longer term it may be the individuals company that was going to pay DG wages that is on the front of the strip. 😉😉

Sorry I've must have missed something. We have our highest profile game of the season and our away shirt shouldn't have a sponsor. Short term why not use a director who has a local company. Longer term it may be the individuals company that was going to pay DG wages that is on the front of the strip. [emoji6][emoji6]
Short term. Woman's aid or a charity or anything bar a directors business.

9 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Silverbarton Terrace mate, we looked down on the Castle.

Could be worse, you could have compounded your unfortunate location of birth by moving to somewhere a lot nearer Dunfermline eh?

Mind you, at least you didn't up sticks to Glenrothes😉

10 hours ago, Coyraith said:

I’m struggling to understand fans that have been here for years still trying to shoot the club down. You all need to realise sim isn’t going anywhere. He has actually done a considerable amount for the club. What? Get sim out? Then what? Maybe if that’s what you want then come up with some sort or plan b without killing the club.

What are you struggling with here, exactly? 

The board have cost the club a lot of money (transfer fee, c£150k in wages, loss of sponsorship) and burned its reputation on a player that will not kick a single ball for us. Do you really expect people to just forget about that? 

And what about the club's leadership? There have been two very short statements released since the signing was made; a double down and then a mealy-mouthed climbdown two days later. In the meantime we've dodged the press as much as we realistically can and sent the Manager out for the Celtic presser, who had to address the matter. Meanwhile, the board remains in hiding; it's utter cowardice. 

The decision made has caused the club a large amount of harm that isn't going to be resolved in the short term. All the money made from last night's cup tie will be going straight into David Goodwillie's pocket. Money that could have done the club a lot of good will instead be given to a man ruled to be a rapist and who has not paid his victim a penny. We could have boosted the playing budget, conducted work on the stadium etc. Hell, we could even have reduced some of the club's debts by paying down the stadium mortgage or giving the directors some of their money back. But no, that won't be happening. 

No-one is seriously suggesting we get Sim out. What has been advocated is diluting his stranglehold on the club and attempting to replace some of the board members that made this dreadful decision. 

You're entitled to your viewpoint if you want to forget about it all, but I won't forget it. The damage they have caused the club is unforgivable and I have no confidence in the current board to properly manage the club. And all from a totally avoidable situation as well.  Change is needed. 

Edited by Michael W

8 hours ago, foreverarover said:
9 hours ago, raith1974 said:
Sorry I've must have missed something. We have our highest profile game of the season and our away shirt shouldn't have a sponsor. Short term why not use a director who has a local company. Longer term it may be the individuals company that was going to pay DG wages that is on the front of the strip. emoji6.pngemoji6.png

Short term. Woman's aid or a charity or anything bar a directors business.

I agree it would have been a nice touch, but am also wondering would any such charities touch RRFC just now? I have the feeling we're probably more toxic than a cyanide pill. Even if they had Rape Scotland emblazoned across their strips half the folk on here would be screaming hypocrisy and the other half would be yelling "do they think that's enough to make everything all right now?" Probably damned if they do and damned if they don't, or so it'd appear.

I'd previously called for all four of the directors to go but now I'm not so sure that'd be the cleverest move. If they all go then who replaces them? Penman? McDairmid, Clark, Mill? That's not a board I would relish working with. Changes have to come but knee jerk reactions could well be even more (and that's still a possibility imo) damaging to the long term future of RRFC.

I still think there needs to be big changes but perhaps John Sim should remain, although in very much a different capacity, he's admitted he's too far removed from goings on. If the rest (and Sim) want to remain at SP (and I'm not saying they should) they have to show some real contrition and make good on what they have cost the club both financially and in damage to reputation.

So far other than one statement from "the Chairman" there has been NO contrition shown by the BoD, and without knowing how much SM Electrical Supplies is paying or for how long the deal is we cant say conclusively if he's paying financially for his sins.

There has been some talk of rehabilitation for DG, perhaps it'd be better to better educate the people who thought it was ok to sign him, send them all for rehabilitation courses. Then if they made subsequent moves to have womens/rape charities names on shirts and ad' boards at SP they wouldn't necessarily come under the same fire.

16 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Surely having Steven McDonald's company name on the shirt is making a bad situation worse?

Unless you've got your finger on the pulse you're unlikely to know tbh. 

An easy win would've been to offer the shirt sponsorship upto the Survivors Trust or something similar with a note that some proceeds of the game would go to the charity. 

As it is the director just looks like a dick. 

Unless you've got your finger on the pulse you're unlikely to know tbh. 
An easy win would've been to offer the shirt sponsorship upto the Survivors Trust or something similar with a note that some proceeds of the game would go to the charity. 
As it is the director just looks like a dick. 

I've seen quite a few folk suggest offering sponsorship to Rape Crisis Scotland, but I think if we do go down that route then we'd need to be particularly tactful. I'm not sure who it was before, but someone did say of we took such an action the likelihood is that folk will just see it as a publicity stunt.

I've heard different bits over the last few days over the sponsorship. I was initially very cynical that on the day we played to one of our two biggest games of this season, we've changed our sponsorship to one for our directors. I thought TAG had it until the end of the season and had agreed to remain but the club may have acted on any resignation regardless.

Either way, it's yet another action with no explanation from the boardroom. Itsalso a show of intent that if anyone expected any movement then they're not likely to see it.

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've seen quite a few folk suggest offering sponsorship to Rape Crisis Scotland, but I think if we do go down that route then we'd need to be particularly tactful. I'm not sure who it was before, but someone did say of we took such an action the likelihood is that folk will just see it as a publicity stunt.

I think for it to work, it would've needed good communication beforehand from the board detailing it all, which it seems would never happen. 

With that it in mind it would've just been better to have a blank space. 

Yeah, once again, it's the lack of transparency that's really creating a lot of the bother. 

If Steven MacDonald has taken over the sponsorship and put in extra money at the market rate, that's a different story to him getting free advertising on the back of a crisis he helped create. But we'll never know. 

I've got a bit of Rovers fatigue at the moment, to be honest. It's very minor in the grand scheme of things, but I'm just a bit fed up constantly thinking about how the club can emerge from this nightmare of their own making. 

All the social media in-fighting is a total pain too. It's all just quite petty and fractious at this point. 

It's going to be a bit of a limp through to the end of the season now, particularly with all these injuries. I think everyone, including the club, just needs the close season now to get a bit of silence and a proper reset. 

There's still the Challenge Cup which we've actually got a reasonable chance in, and there's a fair chance we'll still make the playoffs, so it's not a total write-off at this stage, but it all just feels a bit tainted, for me. A lot of the joy has gone right out of it. 

4 hours ago, Michael W said:

What are you struggling with here, exactly? 

The board have cost the club a lot of money (transfer fee, c£150k in wages, loss of sponsorship) and burned its reputation on a player that will not kick a single ball for us. Do you really expect people to just forget about that? 

And what about the club's leadership? There have been two very short statements released since the signing was made; a double down and then a mealy-mouthed climbdown two days later. In the meantime we've dodged the press as much as we realistically can and sent the Manager out for the Celtic presser, who had to address the matter. Meanwhile, the board remains in hiding; it's utter cowardice. 

The decision made has caused the club a large amount of harm that isn't going to be resolved in the short term. All the money made from last night's cup tie will be going straight into David Goodwillie's pocket. Money that could have done the club a lot of good will instead be given to a man ruled to be a rapist and who has not paid his victim a penny. We could have boosted the playing budget, conducted work on the stadium etc. Hell, we could even have reduced some of the club's debts by paying down the stadium mortgage or giving the directors some of their money back. But no, that won't be happening. 

No-one is seriously suggesting we get Sim out. What has been advocated is diluting his stranglehold on the club and attempting to replace some of the board members that made this dreadful decision. 

You're entitled to your viewpoint if you want to forget about it all, but I won't forget it. The damage they have caused the club is unforgivable and I have no confidence in the current board to properly manage the club. And all from a totally avoidable situation as well.  Change is needed. 

It's a real sore one to take.

The directors responsible could always waive some of the debts due and Sim could let the club off with a few mortgage payments...

Any word on when Berra is likely to be back? I am sure one of McGlynn’s interviews after the Morton game suggested the Killie game was the realistic target? Let’s hope that’s the case, obviously with injuries to Lang and Bene it has highlighted the need further but even without that, it is impossible to overstate how important he is to us.

Having a look back at our record with and without him is very eye opening. Looking at games he has completed the 90 minutes, his record is:

Played: 29   
Won: 16    
Drawn: 10     
Lost: 3     
PPG: 2.00 (not all league games but used to illustrate)    
GA per game: 0.79

Games where Berra hasn’t played or hasn’t completed the 90 minutes:

Played: 8    
Won: 0   
Drawn: 4      
Lost: 4     
PPG: 0.50     
GA per game: 1.6

The above includes the 3 games Berra has went off this season which were:

1-0 defeat to Partick Thistle (0-0 when Berra went off)    
2-1 defeat to Arbroath (1-1 when Berra went off)    
2-2 draw with Morton (0-0 when Berra went off) 

So our points average is 4 times higher with Berra on the pitch and on average we concede half the amount of goals. If we are to hold on to any hope of the play offs we need him back ASAP and to stay fit till the end of the season.