The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Paco said:

You’ve deliberately deleted the part where I said ‘more importantly… off the park’.

We’ve had a real crisis about what our values as a club are over the past week or so. On a personal basis, my values aren’t chucking someone under the bus for a major, major f**k-up after nine years of exemplary service. I’ve thought pretty deeply over whether McGlynn should go, but personally I think in the context of his previous service, and his comments today he’s earned an opportunity to build bridges. And that’s all it is - an opportunity, not a blank canvas. Others are perfectly entitled to disagree.

If this was a fantastic or indeed a dreadful football manager who’d been here for six months I’d want him gone, yeah. Not going to deny that. If that makes me a hypocrite in your eyes then so be it.

Because it's not more important what he's done off the park, this is all about his ability as a football manager. 

His comments today were absolutely shit, he's admitted he had a major hand in the signing which makes the mental gymnastics over the past few days to try place all the blame on the signing on Sim look a bit ridiculous. His talk of having a wife and daughter so he understands just make him look more ridiculous, because despite that, despite the public outcry by the Raith fans he still chased Goodwillie, a rapist. 

Raith will quite rightly get a shed load of stick, and hopefully miss out on sponsorship while they continue to laud a rape apologist. 

I think John is definitely remorseful. Should it be enough to save his job? He's made a mistake, a massive one at that.

We clearly need to see sweeping changes at board level and then we can reassess in the Summer re: McGlynn and Smudger. I'd love to see Val, Tag Games and Raith TV et al back into the club to help drive the changes required within the club.

Just watched that sky clip. Uncomfortable stuff. Especially at the end when he naively says that he/they thought it would be fine because he never got much stick when he played at Stark's for Clyde. 

It's a shame, because McGlynn has done so much for the club over the years, and I do believe his apology is genuine, but this is a monumental misjudgement and he has to go for his part in it all. 

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Because it's not more important what he's done off the park, this is all about his ability as a football manager. 

The more people talk about how long he's been at Raith and how he gets the club makes it even more outrageous that he thought signing Goodwillie would be a good idea.

If he really does like Raith you would imagine he would walk and try and keep some dignity.

29 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just watched that sky clip. Uncomfortable stuff. Especially at the end when he naively says that he/they thought it would be fine because he never got much stick when he played at Stark's for Clyde. 

It's a shame, because McGlynn has done so much for the club over the years, and I do believe his apology is genuine, but this is a monumental misjudgement and he has to go for his part in it all. 

You're a drama queen at the best of times fucking grow up!

You're boring now. I think if anyone needs to go at the end of the season (or at any time between now and then), it's you.
You're absolutely desperate to be outraged now. Give it a fucking rest.

Are you reading the same posts as me?

when I watch that I feel like I'm seeing the tone I needed to hear and some (but certainly not all) of the right things too. Is my judgement clouded, or is that any neutrals' view too? 

This isn’t the voice of someone desperate to be outraged and sack the manager at any cost.
®ATM is certainly not one of the perma-outraged ones on here, there are a few but he’s not one of them.
His posts are generally well balanced and avoid the hysterics.

Personally I’ve changed my opinion on whether McGlynn can stay or should go umpteen times.
Having seen that interview I agree with the above- the tone was right, the man looked absolutely broken. It was a genuine apology, not an “I’m sorry there’s a fuss but I still don’t see what was wrong”.

Without Val McDermid, his (and the boards) feelings on the amount of outrage generated is probably spot-on. They just didn’t bank on her being so vociferous and giving others the courage to also show their feelings.

I’m still not sure what I think to be honest.

Locke was a nice man, can guarantee if he, or any other poorly performing manager during Raith's history had done something even half as reprehensible he'd be out on his ear

On the flip side, if it had been Locke or any other poorly performing manager I can guarantee Grant wouldn’t be screaming so loudly for him to go.