The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I'm unsure about this idea too, despite having floated the idea myself somewhere much earlier in the thread.

But it's not true that there'd be no way of doing it - the way already exists and is used in a variety of professions that we've classed as regulated work for which PVG clearance is required. It would need legislation, but it would not be difficult to add professional football (at, probably, SPFL level) to the list that required regulation.

PVG is fine to a point and would probably work to upto this level. The problem would occur when a premiership team, is trying to land a signing from abroad. Trying to run a disclosure on someone from overseas adds a fair chunk of time and could ultimately torpedo deals. If an Italian club has an offer from say Celtic or Copenhagen, they would likely go with Copenhagen as they are guaranteed the deal will go through that day subject to medical.

I do agree that there needs to be a line drawn in the sand and proper education / rehabilitation available. If a player commits a crime worthy of jail time / suspended sentence for example it would be well publicised and pretty easy for club to find when doing their disclosure. It wouldn't be hard for there to be a condition from the top that they attend an education/rehab course to be allowed to re-enter the game. Some would likely slip the net but your Goodwillie's of the world who have been involved in high profile cases would be sending a message to the rest of the the game by being frozen out until admitting their mistakes. Players / managers etc who are caught gambling are already sent on courses and given lengthy bans plus suspended bans if I remember correctly, so why would it be an issue for criminality? 

40 minutes ago, GooseLips said:

What’s your point here exactly? That because fans weren’t in, your opinion, as proactive previously, they shouldn’t voice their concerns now? I struggle to see how society taking a more vocal stance on violence against women is anything other than a positive step to be honest 

Someone was called a liar for saying that football fans ignored Goodwillie for 5 years. I disagree that the person making that statement is lying. That’s about it.

By all means keep voicing your concerns.

39 minutes ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

the answer to why they sell replica shirts with a players name on the back is... to make money.

Very good. I should have asked why the fans buy them, if it's not because they admire the player in question.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Very good. I should have asked why the fans buy them, if it's not because they admire the player in question.

The role model thing in football has always been bizarre 

Players like Souness and Keane snapped legs and modern players role around on the deck cheating to win

Only about 1 in a 1000 like Rashford could be ever considered actual role models

52 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Goodwillie would presumably pass a PVG anyway given that the only criminal record he has is for some assaults a long time ago.

My take it on it also.

May well be wrong but understood criminal disclosure was reduced from something like 7 years to 2 years not so long ago also

21 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Has McGlynn resigned yet? Has McGlynn apologised for his part in the transfer agreement yet? Has anyone involved in bringing this player to the Club stood down or apologised yet? 

No, the last official response from the club was 3 Feb when they admitted getting it wrong and said Goodwillie wouldn’t play for Raith Rovers. 

https://www.raithrovers.net

Edited by San Starko Rover

I think it's become abundantly clear that the club won't be making any further comment, of any kind, until the legal process of separating Goodwillie from his contract is complete. 

It's frustrating, from a supporters' point of view, because we want the heads to roll and the whole thing to be over with, but from a legal standpoint I can imagine the last thing you want is for your clients to be making public statements and apportioning blame when you're still mid-negotiations. 

I'd still be happier if there was a wee line leaked to the press to confirm that this is definitely the case, but it could easily be a good few days or even weeks yet. 

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think the idea of a "fit and proper person" test for every single signed player in Scottish football is one of these things that comes from a good place and sounds sensible on paper, but is totally unworkable. I can't see how it can be implemented in any sort of practical way.

There should be a fit and proper test for this forum - there is a scarily amount of absolute fuckwits who’ve posted in this thread of late. 

29 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

There should be a fit and proper test for this forum - there is a scarily amount of absolute fuckwits who’ve posted in this thread of late. 

It'd just take the one question.

"Please successfully spell the surname of this Raith Rovers manager from the late 80s: Frank ______" 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Goodwillie would presumably pass a PVG anyway given that the only criminal record he has is for some assaults a long time ago.

His assault convictions are likely to be spent and he has no conviction for rape through a criminal court so won't show up on any criminal records. In short he is free to do say job in terms of convictions at a criminal court.

9 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Arbroath could go 9 points clear of us tonight and Partick could be 3rd pushing us down to 5th, not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just thought I'd bring it up to break the monotony 😆

Aye, the season on the field is fucked - which pairs with our off the field season being monumentally fucked.

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Arbroath could go 9 points clear of us tonight and Partick could be 3rd pushing us down to 5th, not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just thought I'd bring it up to break the monotony 😆

How does it not matter. We still need to support the team on the pitch and hope we can finish as high up the league. 

4th is still achievable with ICT also in the middle of a dismal run of form. A maximum of three points ahead, all level on games played. We probably just want Partick to win there tonight to be honest, they’ll overtake us regardless.

Not what we wanted at Christmas. But it’s something to cling to, at least for now.