The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just on Val. She’s now holding court telling the nations journalists that all footballers should pass a fit and proper persons test. The more I think about it, I’m actually glad she’s no longer involved. Imagine what she would have been saying about Marvin Andrews!
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-rangers-star-marvin-andrews-slammed-4555527.amp
Are you also an intolerant homophobe?
You certainly sound like one.

25 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is a lie. 

The majority of football fans didn’t outwardly show that much concern. For instance, It’s not like there were protests every time Goodwillie played at Stark’s Park with Clyde. Isn’t that fans ignoring it?

I think I recall Goodwillie getting some grief the first time he turned up at Starks with Clyde, but after that nothing.

56 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Tickets bought for Sunday.

Still unhappy and embarrassed  with the stewardship of the club, which isn’t a first for me, still unhappy and embarrassed with the management team on the football side based on form and recent signing.

get to see some #AngeBall so all is not bad.

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The majority of football fans didn’t outwardly show that much concern. For instance, It’s not like there were protests every time Goodwillie played at Stark’s Park with Clyde. Isn’t that fans ignoring it?

I think I recall Goodwillie getting some grief the first time he turned up at Starks with Clyde, but after that nothing.

There were Clyde fans who’ve hardly been to a game while he was there, or not at all in some cases. There were away fans who refused to go to Broadwood over it. I’m sure he got relatively hounded wherever he went. It got brought up in threads on here pretty regularly. I don’t think it’s fair to say that football fans ignored it.

In any case, obviously him playing for Raith is bigger news than him playing for Clyde, in the same way that him playing for Clyde was bigger news than him playing for whatever amateur mob it was they got him from. Different levels of coverage and fan knowledge are therefore understandable. 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

There were Clyde fans who’ve hardly been to a game while he was there, or not at all in some cases. There were away fans who refused to go to Broadwood over it. I’m sure he got relatively hounded wherever he went. It got brought up in threads on here pretty regularly. I don’t think it’s fair to say that football fans ignored it.

In any case, obviously him playing for Raith is bigger news than him playing for Clyde, in the same way that him playing for Clyde was bigger news than him playing for whatever amateur mob it was they got him from. Different levels of coverage and fan knowledge are therefore understandable. 

The vast majority of lower league football fans in Scotland ignored the fact that a rapist was playing in front of them. He got the odd ‘beast’ cat call when he first started doing the rounds with Clyde. Then nothing. Fans got bored of it and carried on as if nothing had happened. Just like what happens with most hot news items; two weeks later it’s largely forgotten. People have their own concerns and move on.

29 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

What point am I missing.?
The way your post is worded gives me the impression that you're vehemently opposed to anything Val McDermid has to say and re. Andrews, you're the "Oh, whits he like?" mentality.

My point is that now Val has led the campaign to get rid of David Goodwillie… rightly so in my book, she’s now going off on how all footballers need to be whiter than white. That’s a step too far for me and an indication of what happens when certain people have their ego inflated.

The example I used was Marvin Andrews, a club legend and a hall of famer. He’s publicly come out a few years ago with strong views on homosexuals. We also have our own club captain who was charged a few years ago with assaulting his ex gf and a couple of her friends. Our old captain was charged a few years back for bottling someone in a nightclub.

Now the issue with her calling on fit and proper people checks means where do you draw the line? Rapists 100% but what about assault charges etc? What about people with questionable views on homosexuality?  You run the risk of tarnishing players who have played a massive part in our recent history if you start going down that road.

6 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

My point is that now Val has led the campaign to get rid of David Goodwillie… rightly so in my book, she’s now going off on how all footballers need to be whiter than white. That’s a step too far for me and an indication of what happens when certain people have their ego inflated.

The example I used was Marvin Andrews, a club legend and a hall of famer. He’s publicly come out a few years ago with strong views on homosexuals. We also have our own club captain who was charged a few years ago with assaulting his ex gf and a couple of her friends. Our old captain was charged a few years back for bottling someone in a nightclub.

Now the issue with her calling on fit and proper people checks means where do you draw the line? Rapists 100% but what about assault charges etc? What about people with questionable views on homosexuality?  You run the risk of tarnishing players who have played a massive part in our recent history if you start going down that road.

How would big Val feel if the Newcastle owners came in with a few million to use Raith as a feeder club?

Money or morals which one Val?

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Just on Val. She’s now holding court telling the nations journalists that all footballers should pass a fit and proper persons test. The more I think about it, I’m actually glad she’s no longer involved. Imagine what she would have been saying about Marvin Andrews!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-rangers-star-marvin-andrews-slammed-4555527.amp

She’s not wrong. Given the movement toward making sports stars role models, there’s little wrong with expecting decent behavior. The issue would be whom decides and to what standard, but that’s the discussion started properly now…and RRFC would do well to get ahead of the train that’s warming up in the station. Remember, any test considers the actions, ages, conditions and responses…we’re here because DG failed badly on that test.

In the case of Marvin, he’s entitled to his beliefs…but can be judged by those beliefs.

5 hours ago, RavyDavy said:

He'd get bored if he had to listen to you for more than 5 minutes. Change the record ffs.

You seem to be conveniently forgetting about the forthcoming development behind the North Stand. Or is that not big enough either? Maybe it's ROI isn't strong enough business csse for you? I assume you have access to RRFC business planning details as you seem be ITK for all things related to revenue generation at the club? 

Or the railway stand development that he is funding. John Sim has done a great deal of good for the club and Kirkcaldy. He purchased the old cinema and YW on the prom and gifted the buildings to the guys trying to turn the around.