The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

This is the crux of the issue. RRFC got caught going the wrong way at a point where #metoo and similar things have possibly finally breached the protective wall the old boys club enjoyed in professional sports. The initial movements may be small, but this is likely the start of a large, general movement to expect standards of behavior in sports that at least mirror those in the business world.

Sim is out of touch, and a prime example of the kind of good old boy that will get caught in this environment, and that realization is likely what drives his stepping back plans. If John Sim could find the will to contact Val, and ask her to work with the Club to recover from this catastrophe and reform the entity as a true Community Club, it could be successful…but I’m given to understand the two were not on any talking terms even before this monumental f**k-up.

We have bemoaned on here the lack of female support in the stands for the Rovers, about how we have an increasingly old and male fan base, and yet we just destroyed a path forward by sheer bloody-minded stupidity. The Raith Rovers Ladies need to be brought back into the fold, and supported and developed to strengthen the Club. To do that we have to get Val back on board, not necessarily on THE Board, but willing to throw her support back behind a new, reformed and inclusive Club.

Would I prefer someone besides Sim owning the Club, yes…can I stand him remaining, yes, if true change occurs. Does that change include removal of the four Directors that voted Yes on DH, yes it does. Does that mean a new CEO, yes it does. Does that mean a new Management team, unfortunately, given JMcG’s statement on the signing of DG, yes it probably does.

For now, I’d like to see the Club contact Val and TAG and see if they would object to new logos on the shirts, logos for organizations that Val and TAG believe deserve publicity in the wake of this mess…perhaps Rape Crisis Scotland and such.

In a nutshell to be honest !
John Sim has to put his personal feelings / differences to one side regarding individuals for the betterment of the club , Heal the deep division with Val McDermid as she is the one to turn this around IMO 

So who exactly is going to buy him out? If you think Val is going to do your sadly mistaken there's plenty of folk who wouldn't even want her back .
Folk are really needing to get a grip far to much hysteria as it stands we need Sim to keep the club alive and quite frankly if folk are really that upset by recent events then just don't come back.
Can you imagine if one of our players kicked his cat like what one of West Ham's did you'd be inconsolable. 
What are you after?  A hat and a badge?
I'd long suspected you were, by a country mile, Raith's thickest fan. Confirmation is always nice though. Well done.

5 minutes ago, basher brash said:

In a nutshell to be honest !
John Sim has to put his personal feelings / differences to one side regarding individuals for the betterment of the club , Heal the deep division with Val McDermid as she is the one to turn this around IMO 

Is Val even interested in returning? For someone who was instrumental in speaking out, and part of me thinks of it wasn’t for her and her connections, this might have been another ‘Clyde scenario’ where it would’ve died down, I think she’s happy to walk away with her reputation bolstered along with her book sales.

I’d love to be wrong but I certainly don’t see her as actively vocal about trying to fix the issues. 

Can you imagine if one of our players kicked his cat like what one of West Ham's did you'd be inconsolable. 
Well as someone who has dealt with the effects of rape and the loss of a loved cat, I don't take either of those things lightly in all honesty. But yeah, I'm the arsehole here...

Eta: through my work with the ambulance service.

Some folk are really out of order when they're talking about Val McDermid. All she's done is put a load of money into the football club, and then spoken out when the club tried to sign a rapist. 
In my (non-bestselling) book, those are both pretty good things. 
You're making it too easy for Frank now. He'll be turning up at your door any minute

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Having had a reply from Sim, and from reading the comments above, it sounds like he's just copy and pasting his reply to folk. His reply reads that he's going to step down as chairman however will remain the owner of the club and that the club need to move on with a different team off the pitch.

If this is indeed the case, I think there are green shoots of recovery. 

Currently without Sim the club is fucked because there us nobody who will take on the burden of a championship club as well as an ageing ground and all the debt that goes with it. Now copy and paste or not replying to folk that got in touch is decent behaviour, I would still expect a longer public interview but time is ticking on. 

From what is said Sim will be stepping back from chairman which is probably in line with most folks wishes. What this can't be is a shuffling of some good old boys for some other good old boys.

I will echo what others have said that Val is not in this to run a football club she's got plenty better things to occupy her time and she doesn't look like she's a fan of blazers. That said I think she is someone who the club needs to give a bit of balance tell it like it is, she is respected and holds a bit of sway. 

6 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’d love to be wrong but I certainly don’t see her as actively vocal about trying to fix the issues. 

Can you explain why you feel it should fall to her to attempt to fix the issues that led to her walking away?

She’s made it very clear what she felt the issues were. These issues were caused by the actions of people employed by the club and 4 of the board members. It’s unclear to me why she should need to be responsible for saying what should be done to fix things. That kind of change / action can only come from within the club.

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Some folk are really out of order when they're talking about Val McDermid. All she's done is put a load of money into the football club, and then spoken out when the club tried to sign a rapist. 

It is very confusing. She's a committed supporter who has used her success to support the club financially. She has rightly called out the club for making a terrible decision and also rightly said that at the moment they've done the bare minimum of what they should to set things right with more actions being needed.

The reaction she's getting from some people is frankly bizarre, why should she be expected to clean up the current boards mess when she had no part to play in it?

Sponsor, who is a well known feminist, is angry and upset at the thought of the club she sponsors (and supports) signing a rapist who would then go on to wear a shirt with her name on it. A thoroughly shocking and unforeseen turn of events. 

Should have just kept her mouth shut like all the fans did. 

3 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

It is very confusing. She's a committed supporter who has used her success to support the club financially. She has rightly called out the club for making a terrible decision and also rightly said that at the moment they've done the bare minimum of what they should to set things right with more actions being needed.

The reaction she's getting from some people is frankly bizarre, why should she be expected to clean up the current boards mess when she had no part to play in it?

100%. I can't possibly think what it is that people don't like about Val McDermid. 

9 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Nobody has said that she hasn't put money in to the club but she isn't coming forward with any constructive plans to make change just get them out. If she feels that strongly then buy the club I'm sure she can afford it. What she is doing just now using her status is helping to destroy the club. 

If people don’t want sex offenders at their club that’s fine by me, especially the more significant offences and where there is a lack of contrition, but val - all this about special standards for footballers, come on. It’s not teaching or the medical profession is it?

football players are not role models. It’s a phrase that’s always trotted out but it’s absolute nonsense. If I asked my son whether footballers were his role models he’d wet himself laughing.

it’s a great game to watch but there’s a lot to question about players morally - cynical play like injuring others, feigning injury, diving, screaming in referees faces with bulging neck veins, time wasting. Off the field it’s Betting, boozing, backhanders.

please let’s put this to rest once and for all - they are not role models

2 hours ago, Frank conner said:

So who exactly is going to buy him out? If you think Val is going to do your sadly mistaken there's plenty of folk who wouldn't even want her back .

Folk are really needing to get a grip far to much hysteria as it stands we need Sim to keep the club alive and quite frankly if folk are really that upset by recent events then just don't come back.

53 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

If that's your thoughts then stay away. I'm sick to the back teeth of all of this. Yes they signed a player that has caused a shit storm but prior to that he and John McGlynn have delivered on and off the pitch. People make mistakes but you stay away until they are all gone by then there will be no club.

A portacabin that isn't a big as we thought it would be and floodlights that failed on national TV....

It looks as though we are fans are going to need to put the squeeze on Sim and the board because they clearly don't seem to be in a rush to clean up the mess they've caused and someone copying and pasting an email really doesn't cut it.

Total boycott of season ticket purchases would send a strong message... 

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Nobody has said that she hasn't put money in to the club but she isn't coming forward with any constructive plans to make change just get them out. If she feels that strongly then buy the club I'm sure she can afford it. What she is doing just now using her status is helping to destroy the club. 

She must be tired with all this destruction, haven't heard from her for a couple of days.