The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

It does have toilets and a kitchen area. I've been in it so can confirm. The problem is the titan is the biggest portacabin you get but with toilets and kitchen facilities it doesn't leave a lot of room for punters. 

Sounds as though we've bought it pretty much for the sake of it then.

9 minutes ago, pub car king said:

How the f**k are we paying for a ceo. Yet rely on volunteers to do things such as, raith TV, run the shop, do the programme etc allnof which bring in revenue.

To be fair to Sim (probably the only time I'll ever say that) the wages for the CEO are coming straight out of his pocket I believe and not from the club. I think I read that?

Having a CEO who is married to your Assistant Manager is absolutely shite governance mind you. You'd have thought someone who runs a global accountancy firm would be clued up on that.

11 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

They have a volunteer who coordinates match day stuff, but that's as far as it goes I think. Knowing a few folk who have volunteered in various roles, the Club pretty much lets them get on with it. The philosophy seems to be 'as long as we don't have to do it.' The only contact folk get is if the club want them to do even more or if they f**k up.  If folks ever give it up then they rarely even get a thank you. 

I suspected that might be the case. It's very understandable, in a way. When you've got a workforce that turns up for free and seems to know what it's doing, why intervene?

But it's not a responsible business model. As we've seen all too clearly this week, it leaves you very vulnerable to all your volunteers just not showing up one day (although, in fairness, that risk can largely be mitigated by not acting like utter c***s). More importantly, though, it's not very community minded, and it's not very professional. 

More than one person on this thread has, perfectly validly, offered their opinion that a CEO isn't required at this level. On that point, I disagree. The club needs more permanent employees whose job is to make sure the club runs properly, not fewer. 

If you've got £200,000 to spend over the next three years, rather than prioritising another striker, maybe look at creating actual jobs for the people who are running your club for you. I'm not talking about big salaries, but to take the RaithTV guys as an example, they're putting out a professional quality product, that generates revenue. Put them on part-time (or zero hour or whatever, I'm no expert here) contracts to at least cover the time they're putting in with the living wage. 

At the last set of club accounts, Raith Rovers had 36 employees. Take the players, coaches and other first team staff away from that and there must be about ten people actually paid to run Raith Rovers, from answering the phones to the duties of the Chief Exec and everything inbetween. I picked St Mirren more or less at random, thinking that they're a similar sized club to us, but one we probably aspire to be like right now. They've got 35 employees... not including players (of which they've got 42). 

Infrastructure isn't just floodlights and portacabins. It's also employees and management structure. It's supposed to be a professional football operation, not a boys club run by committee. Yes, you can get to a situation where it feels like there are too many chiefs and administrators, and yes every pound spent in the office is a pound less that's spent on the pitch, but that's how you run a football club in 2022, and how you avoid catastrophic dictatorial decisions like the one we've seen this last week. 

Likewise not against a CEO, operations manager but interested in the comments re the recruitment process.

Supporters liaison (I think) has said no interviews etc for the posts so how did the assistant managers wife who has no football pedigree get the CEO gig. 

Just been reading about Pars appt and his experience as a contrast. 

CEO and/or Sim need to get in front of the camera this week. 

" take the RaithTV guys as an example, they're putting out a professional quality product, that generates revenue. Put them on part-time (or zero hour or whatever, I'm no expert here) contracts to at least cover the time they're putting in with the living wage"

ETA; Wonder how much they brought in over the piece adding in season tickets that had to be serviced? £200-300k?? More ?

Same for all other clubs with this model, how did they get rewarded. Programme article, jersey,  wee trophy, hospitality, life season ticket? 

I would love to know. 

Edited by Always next quarter
Addition

What’s realistically going to happen in the summer with regards to season tickets? That’s the ideal time to let the BOD that you’re not happy with what’s happened although I feel like the majority of fans will still choose to renew and this will all have blown over by then, unfortunately.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

What’s realistically going to happen in the summer with regards to season tickets? That’s the ideal time to let the BOD that you’re not happy with what’s happened although I feel like the majority of fans will still choose to renew and this will all have blown over by then, unfortunately.

That depends entirely on the actions of the board between now and next season. 

I think most people's red line was Goodwillie being in the team, but there will be people who are already lost to the club, and others who'll stay away longer term until the manager and/or owner are gone too. 

The number of people who fall into which camp will fluctuate fairly massively depending on how the club acts over the coming weeks and months, I'd imagine. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think if you're hoping your fans don't renew their season tickets,  you could be joining us in the bottom league shortly 

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I volunteered on various groups and certainly do not want to to be contracted in any way shape or form.

I recall signing an agreement a few years ago, but I think that was in relation to conduct.

Yeah I don’t think any of the Raith TV guys would have wanted to be/have been paid employees as suddenly their freedom of output is gone, or rather they are suddenly beholden to their employers and monetisation (Raith TV Lounge) probably comes in, which I think Raith TV have been fighting for some time. It also might conflict with their day job if they have second job conditions in their contract etc.

For the most part the volunteer structure works and doesn't cost the club money so I can see why they'd go down this route. My only beef before all this is that they should recognise them more and not take them for granted. There is a huge problem with it when the club does something so horrendous it falls apart pretty quickly as we've just seen.

59 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

To be fair to Sim (probably the only time I'll ever say that) the wages for the CEO are coming straight out of his pocket I believe and not from the club. I think I read that?

Having a CEO who is married to your Assistant Manager is absolutely shite governance mind you. You'd have thought someone who runs a global accountancy firm would be clued up on that.

A man running a global accountancy firm, who was also an Auditor before moving into management, should also be fully aware that the person with controlling interest also being the Chairman is a massive red flag. Yet, here we are.

I’m waiting, with amusement, for an explanation of what the February charge for a RaithTV subscription will provide me, as so far it’s one of two matches, and a limited amount of content. It’ll be interesting to see if they even recognize the problem and/or have access to the necessary contact data list. Too bad I couldn’t cancel in time to avoid the February charge. Sad to say, unless there’s a massive change, and the RaithTV volunteers return, I won’t be paying anytime soon. They’ve managed to completely alienate a goodly number of fans who they had just started to establish a revenue stream from, smart.

I’ve heard Mr Sim has started to respond to a few fans who have emailed the club/him directly. He’s apologising for his lack of judgment and admits that him living abroad means he’s out of touch with what’s going on. He’s also said that him being the chairman while being far removed from the day to day running of the club isn’t the way forward. 

10 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’ve heard Mr Sim has started to respond to a few fans who have emailed the club/him directly. He’s apologising for his lack of judgment and admits that him living abroad means he’s out of touch with what’s going on. He’s also said that him being the chairman while being far removed from the day to day running of the club isn’t the way forward. 

And that is why he appointed and pays for the CEO from his own pocket to be his eyes and ears with what is going on, has she failed on this point also with not telling him about the initial responses to the DG rumour in December or telling him that she had told Val McDermid there way we would sign him

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

And that is why he appointed and pays for the CEO from his own pocket to be his eyes and ears with what is going on, has she failed on this point also with not telling him about the initial responses to the DG rumour in December or telling him that she had told Val McDermid there way we would sign him

Just as an aside from this what is the point of Sinton? I thought he was Sims man on the inside while he's overseas. 

Just on the ceo role again do we currently have a club secretary? 

Paying those who volunteered for there services during the the majority of past seasons wouldn’t be possible as the club just didn’t have funds to do so. Most did it because they liked the idea that we’re doing something to help and to be part of the club they loved. By volunteering for free they trusted the board to use the extra revenue to buy better players, the loss of that trust being the root of why so many have gone.

I am surprised as I thought the board would have had to have come out with something by now for the sake of the club. I still think they will and it will come after this weeks board discussions, but given their recent actions it seems second guessing them just isn’t possible.

Orson Welles would would be an excellent appointment to the board at this stage, especially if he brings his own chair.

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just as an aside from this what is the point of Sinton? I thought he was Sims man on the inside while he's overseas. 

Just on the ceo role again do we currently have a club secretary? 

Yeah Sinton was his man, but he maybe needed someone who would be on the ground so to speak with the everyday running and other tasks, as for club a Sectertary I haven't got Scooby