The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

The guy he’s referring to, that does the podcast is a Raith fan. Not sure if you know. I think what he’s trying to say is that he raves about him on the podcast, giving him media attention but then complained when he signed for his club.

I do know. That's why I stated so in my reply: 

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Ye say that as tho' that podcast/website also doesn't have previous for reminding everyone that Goodwillie is a sex offender

Literally the first line of it

Clearly, something needs to happen in this week. If not from a moral point or view then practically from a PR point of view. Otherwise John McGlynn is going to be eaten alive in the Sunday media pack and that is going to create another week of shit headlines for the club.

There may be radio silence while they deal with the fallout of Goodwillie's contract but even then they could put out a placeholder statement that at least says bear with us while we sort the legal issues around this and after that we'll announce some more stuff around rebuilding trust etc.

I wrote previously that I would like to see an increase in the number of directors, if not the resignation of those already in place, an increase in fan appointed directors and the removal of the CEO, and Sim to step back as chairman - for all practical intents and purposes we cannot remove Sim as the club would cease to exist about 5 minutes later, and no one has a spare few million lugging around.

The club also needs to move on finding new sponsors. Despite the week from hell I believe there is some interest on filling that gap. Perhaps it would be easier after some high level changes at the club.

Likewise trying to get the volunteer staff back will require significant out reach from the club, and a plan and willingness to change and learn.

How much of any of that is practical, or likely more or less depends on John Sim. 

Too much corroboration is starting to emerge of the remaining board's lack of contrition and lack of concern about who they've alienated. Something carefully presented could still persuade the majority of people who are looking for justification to get back to normal but it's going to take something very good to seem sincere after the time that's passed. At this point I don't think I can be convinced they aren't just laughing up their sleeves. 

41 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

As someone who listens to the podcasts, they frequently pointed out that David Goodwillie is a rapist when discussing anything to do with Clyde.

I’m not sure if you’re defending the point made or not, but it’s absolute bollocks. 

I wouldn’t say I was defending the point however I do agree with what Denise Clair said in the Sunday paper, which I’ll paraphrase… The whole of Scottish football needs to take some accountability here. DGW has been playing for 5 years pretty much unchallenged. Everyone who’s supported him, lauded him etc should probably reflect that they should have done more rather than just clicking into outrage mode last week.

11 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Too much corroboration is starting to emerge of the remaining board's lack of contrition and lack of concern about who they've alienated. Something carefully presented could still persuade the majority of people who are looking for justification to get back to normal but it's going to take something very good to seem sincere after the time that's passed. At this point I don't think I can be convinced they aren't just laughing up their sleeves. 

I think we need to be careful with corroboration on stuff like this. There are so few routes for information to leak from the club now that 70% of the workforce have left, there's a significant chance that what we're hearing is the same source (which could be completely true or completely false) echoing through different second- or third-hand routes. 

Although, as someone else laid out quite eloquently earlier, it would be quite surprising if the people left in the boardroom/bunker aren't further entrenched in their original beliefs. That's quite natural in situations like this where everyone in the world is against you. 

To be a little cynical, though, it doesn't really matter what John Sim (or Tom Morgan or Karen Macartney etc) actually think, at this stage. What matters is what they put out into the world. 

When the doors are locked and they're sitting in private, if they want to think they've been hard done by and that there's been some sort of witch-hunt, then that's fine. I don't agree with it in the slightest, but each individual is entitled to their own opinion.

However, the club's stance, and the club's actions, cannot reflect that. There needs to be contrition, acknowledgement of the hurt, and a commitment to improve. At the weekend it felt like that had to come as soon as possible, and I think some of that immediacy has died away. If it doesn't come until Thursday now, I think that's okay, as long as it's an adequate response when it does come. 

(And obviously it has to be before Sunday, they can't go into a game on live television having not responded to this.) 

11 hours ago, RavyDavy said:

Instead of burning at the stake, maybe supporters engagement with the board will help educate and drive better decision making in future?

Supporters have already engaged with the Board. Many emailed the club to tell them this was a disaster waiting to happen. They were ignored. Andy Mill sat opposite them last Monday and told them it was a disaster waiting to happen. They ignored him.  Better decision making in the future requires the Board to realise their mistake and be prepared to change. They have shown no signs of that at all. One pathetic statement about Goodwillie which they were forced into writing which doesn't even acknowledge the hurt caused to the victim doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Don't want to burn anyone at the stake, but do want the people who made the worst decision in the history of Raith Rovers, who have just cost the club over £200k (and counting), lost us a third of our support and our entire women's team to do the honourable thing and walk away. 

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Having listened to Shaughan's podcast and his input on here, I 'd be happy to appoint him as moral compass for the club if I had the power. I think his views are bang on the money.

I don't think commenting on Goodwillies performance on the pitch for another team indicates acceptance of anything. 

Shaughan McGuigan has just done what the rest of us have done and stated his opinion on here and on his social media. He didn't appoint himself as anything. I don't think he has even been on TV talking about it? Singling him out and trying to make out that commenting on his football skills is supporting him is bizarre and comes across as extremely petty

The more I hear about how the club has operated under Sim, then the more it seems this was a disaster waiting to happen. He doesn't tolerate dissent and it's frequently his way or the highway. He has 'bright ideas' and then pursues them regardless of whether they are sensible or not and whether others agree or not. He'd already cost the club a six figure sum buying a hospitality portacabin that is apparently too small and not fit for purpose. Then along came David Goodwillie. I'm still stunned that some Rovers fans are of the 'aye, but he was doing alright before this' mentality. He didn't even have the balls to put his name to the statement last week. The sooner he is gone the better. No, it won't be easy because he's successfully put himself in a position where he controls everything, but there's seriously no other option but to find an alternative or we are seriously fucked as a football club. He's not some wealthy benign benefactor, he's more than likely going to run us into the ground.

Edited by roverthemoon

I think we need to be careful with corroboration on stuff like this. There are so few routes for information to leak from the club now that 70% of the workforce have left, there's a significant chance that what we're hearing is the same source (which could be completely true or completely false) echoing through different second- or third-hand routes. 
Although, as someone else laid out quite eloquently earlier, it would be quite surprising if the people left in the boardroom/bunker aren't further entrenched in their original beliefs. That's quite natural in situations like this where everyone in the world is against you. 
To be a little cynical, though, it doesn't really matter what John Sim (or Tom Morgan or Karen Macartney etc) actually think, at this stage. What matters is what they put out into the world. 
When the doors are locked and they're sitting in private, if they want to think they've been hard done by and that there's been some sort of witch-hunt, then that's fine. I don't agree with it in the slightest, but each individual is entitled to their own opinion.
However, the club's stance, and the club's actions, cannot reflect that. There needs to be contrition, acknowledgement of the hurt, and a commitment to improve. At the weekend it felt like that had to come as soon as possible, and I think some of that immediacy has died away. If it doesn't come until Thursday now, I think that's okay, as long as it's an adequate response when it does come. 
(And obviously it has to be before Sunday, they can't go into a game on live television having not responded to this.) 

Best post in a while on the subject.
If I could give 10 greenies I would.

I initially said Monday evening was my red line for putting out a statement but agree that the immediacy has died a little.
We absolutely 100% cannot play another football match without further comment though, even if it is just an explanation of why we cannot comment fully at this stage.

59 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

100% where I'm at as my previous list Of required action shows.

Action now please, even if its solely a PR line wiyh the right steps are taken. 

PR company will be sifting their contacts book looking for a club friendly journalist. They in turn best be warned that while an honest examination will boost their profile, a soft wash on camera discussion will kill their credibility.

We football fan's are not as stupid as decision makers think. 

2 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

100% where I'm at as my previous list Of required action shows.

Action now please, even if its solely a PR line wiyh the right steps are taken. 

PR company will be sifting their contacts book looking for a club friendly journalist. They in turn best be warned that while an honest examination will boost their profile, a soft wash on camera discussion will kill their credibility.

We football fan's are not as stupid as decision makers think. 

Jim Traynor was a club friendly journalist, his statements put out on Sevco's website were fucking embarrassing. 

35 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

It doesn't have toilets so I can't see how it can be utilised for the purpose it was bought.

It does have toilets and a kitchen area. I've been in it so can confirm. The problem is the titan is the biggest portacabin you get but with toilets and kitchen facilities it doesn't leave a lot of room for punters. 

8 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Best post in a while on the subject.
If I could give 10 greenies I would.

I initially said Monday evening was my red line for putting out a statement but agree that the immediacy has died a little.
We absolutely 100% cannot play another football match without further comment though, even if it is just an explanation of why we cannot comment fully at this stage.

We probably can play another football match without commenting. Unless the club are forced to put the manager or players forward for interview as part of our involvement with the Scottish Cup?

If McGlynn / players are wheeled out for interview I’d imagine the party line will again be that they only wish to discuss the game with Celtic. 

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It really has to be the Chief Exec or Chairman who comment. 

This is absolutely true, but they can't send McGlynn and the players into a game away at Parkhead with things still unresolved. Maybe if we'd been away at Queen of the South or Hamilton they'd be able to get through another weekend of "no comments" or "let's just talk about the game" but there's no way Premier Sports are going to go along with that line if nothing else has been forthcoming from the club. 

There's every chance that legal advice might take things well beyond this week, but if that is the case, there needs to be a holding statement to that effect at the absolute minimum. 

1 hour ago, Against The Machine said:

Fantastically well put and hits the nail on the head. 

I also wonder what’s going on behind the scenes just now to reach out to the volunteers who left. Have they been contacted by anyone at the club looking to re build relationships?

I know the Raith Tv guys post on here, it would be nice to know if there’s been any contact from the club. I also understand that they might not want to discuss that on here though.

Jim Traynor was a club friendly journalist, his statements put out on Sevco's website were fucking embarrassing. 
Jim Traynor, Graham Spiers and Daft Wee Chick had Murray's schlong so far down their gizzard that they couldn't be anything other than Sycophantic Succulent Lambists.
Surely John Sim doesn't hold such sway with Alan Temple, Zen.?

It's interesting, from the outside looking in, to wonder about the internal structure of the club being so reliant on volunteers. Is there a central point of contact, like the CEO, who's co-ordinating everyone and touching base with them regularly? Or is it more nebulous than that, with different people liaising with others within the club? Are some volunteers essentially just turning up and looking after themselves, with little contact with the board/employees of the club? 

I don't expect anyone to answer that, but it'll make a big difference when it comes to getting people back onside. 

26 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

It's interesting, from the outside looking in, to wonder about the internal structure of the club being so reliant on volunteers. Is there a central point of contact, like the CEO, who's co-ordinating everyone and touching base with them regularly? Or is it more nebulous than that, with different people liaising with others within the club? Are some volunteers essentially just turning up and looking after themselves, with little contact with the board/employees of the club? 

I don't expect anyone to answer that, but it'll make a big difference when it comes to getting people back onside. 

They have a volunteer who coordinates match day stuff, but that's as far as it goes I think. Knowing a few folk who have volunteered in various roles, the Club pretty much lets them get on with it. The philosophy seems to be 'as long as we don't have to do it.' The only contact folk get is if the club want them to do even more or if they f**k up.  If folks ever give it up then they rarely even get a thank you. 

Edited by roverthemoon