The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
28 minutes ago, Enigma said:
I’m pretty sure I’ve heard we tried to sign Gallacher after his release but Val protested at the time and the signing didn’t happen so maybe some idea of where she would draw the line.

He trained at Starks Park whilst on day release from prison. As soon as the fans found out he was outed. Nothing in the press about that and he became a Scotland International.

It’s pretty difficult to say what’s acceptable and what isn’t obviously few have a problem with Gallagher but as I understand it, it was a pretty nasty assault hardly a wee scuffle in a nightclub.  Martindale always comes up for obvious reasons and then you’ve got Rix and Lithgow amongst others. What offences are acceptable? Then you’ve got what was their punishment? And I guess finally do they show remorse? Lots defend Goodwillie as he’s never been found guilty in a criminal court and will point that other were and can still be involved. It’s a big can of worms we’ve opened with this of who should or shouldn’t be acceptable in the SPFL.  

7 minutes ago, Scorge said:

There was a part of me wondering when discussing this at the game on Saturday whether John Sim might decide to play a game of brinksmanship poker with the rapist and try and bluff and/or shame him out of his as much of his contract as he can - something along the lines 'we'll pay up six months but you can go fish for the rest, and if you decide to sue then good luck avoiding a tidal wave of outrage in the process because the real victim is getting zilch while you try to waltz off with six figures'. Given the vibes that there isn't much remorse from the hierarchy about the decision to sign him, I suspect not.

(Also certainly not saying that idea would be right or wrong, merely suggesting it might have been a play.)

Based on our current board strategy they're more likely to offer him a 25% premium as compensation for his 'troubles'. 

35 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Thinking back to December 11th and how we all bounced out of Stark’s Park after beating Kilmarnock for the second time. Or a week later at Firhill when we couldn’t see a thing for fog and the whole stand was rocking singing John McGlynn’s name in those final minutes. If someone had told me then, within two months you’ll have no appetite for football and have lost respect for John McGlynn, I’d not have believed you. What an utter shitshow. All completely avoidable. Fucking morons. 

It's incredible how quickly things have fallen to bit. There were slight murmurs of frustration over the last month, but it's incredible to think that it's only been a week (pretty much at this time) since it was announced. A reputation destroyed in a minute. 

I don’t really get the big deal with Mcglynn. If he’s been asked by the board and he’s said something along the lines of ‘Yeah he’s a good player but are you sure you want to risk the consequences?’ The board have then discussed the bigger picture and make their decision.

Just because he didn’t refuse point blank to have him in the squad or resign the next day doesn’t make him a rape apologist or whatever other term you want to come out with.

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t really get the big deal with Mcglynn. If he’s been asked by the board and he’s said something along the lines of ‘Yeah he’s a good player but are you sure you want to risk the consequences?’ The board have then discussed the bigger picture and make their decision.

Just because he didn’t refuse point blank to have him in the squad or resign the next day doesn’t make him a rape apologist or whatever other term you want to come out with.

I think the problem is that this isn't the first time we've made an attempt to sign him. The lead for these moves surely has to have come from McGlynn. I would doubt that on both occasions the board suggested Goodwillie to him. 

On 05/02/2022 at 23:06, roverthemoon said:

Can’t work out what’s behind these posters who keep showing up. Trolling, trying to be edgy, stupidity, genuinely not bothered by rape or actually David Goodwillie?

Some folk are stupid

Some folk are c****

Some folk are stupid c****

10 minutes ago, Scorge said:

There was a part of me wondering when discussing this at the game on Saturday whether John Sim might decide to play a game of brinksmanship poker with the rapist and try and bluff and/or shame him out of his as much of his contract as he can - something along the lines 'we'll pay up six months but you can go fish for the rest, and if you decide to sue then good luck avoiding a tidal wave of outrage in the process because the real victim is getting zilch while you try to waltz off with six figures'. Given the vibes that there isn't much remorse from the hierarchy about the decision to sign him, I suspect not.

(Also certainly not saying that idea would be right or wrong, merely suggesting it might have been a play.)

Possibly mate, I’d expect any businessman like Sim to always negotiate to try and get the best deal but at the end of the day we entered the contract eyes open, we weren’t conned out of our money by Ali Dia we knew who we were signing. As much as it sticks in my throat to pay him this money.  On this rare occasion Goodwillie will be in the right even if demands the full amount. We’re the ones breaking the deal whether the reasons are justified or not. 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's incredible how quickly things have fallen to bit. There were slight murmurs of frustration over the last month, but it's incredible to think that it's only been a week (pretty much at this time) since it was announced. A reputation destroyed in a minute. 

I had a thought earlier today to look back at what was being discussed in the thread earlier last Monday to compare and contrast but couldn't be bothered trying to find the page. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Possibly mate, I’d expect any businessman like Sim to always negotiate to try and get the best deal but at the end of the day we entered the contract eyes open, we weren’t conned out of our money by Ali Dia we knew who we were signing. As much as it sticks in my throat to pay him this money.  On this rare occasion Goodwillie will be in the right even if demands the full amount. We’re the ones breaking the deal whether the reasons are justified or not. 

As an EF fan I have really admired the RR fans how they have reacted - changed a dreadful decision. 👏👏

But you now have a decision to make. Carry on and your club is dead. Not sure that is smart.Change within the constraints , is smart, learn  from mistakes. Sim, and whether you rate him or not, has saved your club with his money. ( We would of loved such an owner) Now , if that is unacceptable, so be it, see you with us in league 2.

Now I have never liked McGlynn . He is smart, know his football, and even worse he always came across as a good guy! Sponsors,Val,  with their political follies, really don't  add that much value to the club- sponsorship is a round of drinks in the corporate world. Let them go, the core is the fans, don't be a pawn in a wider agenda. Take your club back, 

For me, appoint a new chair, get the fans back, but give McGlynn and Sim the opportunity for redemption, forgiveness. If not then stop talking, kill the club and follow the ego of Val…. 

Even better , join us EF fans in our living nightmare…..???

There's a special kind of stoopid around us. Found this on twitter, by Marty G;

1st real mistake the Board at Raith have made in years. Yet are getting hounded out! They deserve a chance to fix this. If they dont try then let the firing squad attack, until then give them peace to make a plan 1/2
everyone listening to a sponsor who went huffy cause she wasnt consulted and rightly wasnt & a board member who walked out before when other members went against his view. Huffyness in droves. 2/2

The longer the silence endures, the more airtime clowns like this get. Sort it out RRFC.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye, that's the one. 

Didn't really get a break through with us, but from his interviews when he joined he seemed like an intelligent young man. 

His club captain at the time Paul Paton, less so. 

34 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

As an EF fan I have really admired the RR fans how they have reacted - changed a dreadful decision. 👏👏

But you now have a decision to make. Carry on and your club is dead. Not sure that is smart.Change within the constraints , is smart, learn  from mistakes. Sim, and whether you rate him or not, has saved your club with his money. ( We would of loved such an owner) Now , if that is unacceptable, so be it, see you with us in league 2.

Now I have never liked McGlynn . He is smart, know his football, and even worse he always came across as a good guy! Sponsors,Val,  with their political follies, really don't  add that much value to the club- sponsorship is a round of drinks in the corporate world. Let them go, the core is the fans, don't be a pawn in a wider agenda. Take your club back, 

For me, appoint a new chair, get the fans back, but give McGlynn and Sim the opportunity for redemption, forgiveness. If not then stop talking, kill the club and follow the ego of Val…. 

Another astonishing take. 'McDermid is taking a stand for ego'. I wonder what it is about the female Val McDermid that has you posting such stuff about this whole fiasco.

Edited by DA Baracus

12 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

You raise some good points there mate, as a fan I was understandably all for stringing them all up along Pratt Street (appropriate name here) as soon as the story broke. I still believe changes need to happen but it can’t just be done overnight without seriously damaging the club. Sim isn’t going anywhere anytime soon unless there’s someone else to come in and I’ve not won the Euromillions.  

How we proceed really depends on the boards next move as radio silence helps no one. I’ll swap nightmares with you anytime, I know you guys are having a bad one but I’d not wish ours on another club. I’m actually more concerned about getting our regulars back than the sponsors at the moment as we’re seriously down at the moment including myself as we’re waiting on further from our BOD.  Ultimately much damage is already done but we need to work out the best way to limit it and move forward to repair some of it. 

you joke but my father lives in Leven and we did consider taking in your game. Regardless of what happens with us best of luck with your fight to stay up. 

On 29/12/2021 at 09:48, therollorose said:

Time to start putting pressure on the club if there’s even an iota of truth in this and let them know that we don’t want this rapist POS anywhere near our club and that as a fan base, we will *not* have it. 

1236E522-41AA-49B4-A222-EAD26E260630.png

On 29/12/2021 at 09:51, Beachbum said:

Don't want him anywhere near Starks.

On 29/12/2021 at 09:52, true_rover said:

This could be a huge mistake from the club. Everything this season in particular has been about how close the players and fans have been - this would end that and risks it being toxic.

Would rather no chance of promotion.

On 29/12/2021 at 10:07, Ex Machina said:

If we sign Goodwillie, I'm done with the club until he's gone. No way I could support a side with him in it.

On 29/12/2021 at 10:13, Michael W said:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Here's the civil case report. If you are prepared to justify the signing on the basis that he wasn't found guilty in a criminal court (deleted my earlier post as charges were dropped rather than the case going to court), please read it. 

Remember - this is not a newspaper article. It is a statement of facts and testimonies from either side. 

This is not a man I want playing for my club. 

On 29/12/2021 at 10:13, renton said:

Actually, this is a shitty take, we should all be kicking Sim's door down to stop this.

On 29/12/2021 at 10:41, Against The Machine said:

I'd so much rather finish 5th (or below) without Goodwillie than win the league with him. 

On 29/12/2021 at 10:48, Beachbum said:

I sent an email to Margie Robertson at Stark's. She replied that she had taken it up with the fans' director and that he had taken this to the board.

On 29/12/2021 at 11:25, T-hall Rover said:

According to Andy Mill Were not looking to sign Goodwillie!!

On 29/12/2021 at 13:55, pub car king said:

Playing devils advocate for a minute It does bring up an interesting point on the rehabilitation of offenders.

Where would people draw the line with a signing would they for arguments sake give someone convicted of murder or manslaughter a chance or would that be a compete no go?

For what it's worth I don't want him for a few reasons. 

1. it would cast a shadow over the off field work the club are doing.

2. It could create a very uncomfortable working environment for employees of the club. 

3. It's a ticking time bomb should he have any further allegations laid against him even if they were 100% malicious.

4. From a footballing perspective I don't think he is at this level anymore.  

On 29/12/2021 at 20:32, Scottydog said:

I’m confident that any interest Rovers had in David Goodwillie is purely historical and that these days the current board members would be desperately looking out the proverbial barge poles.

My only fear would have been the potential maverick actions of our owner who has shown himself to be quite driven in his ideas with little regard to other’s opinions.

I apologise for the photo but I was just looking back at a fistful of the posts from 5 pages over the 28th December to the 30th, 90%+ of Rovers fans were clearly against signing DG with many saying they would end their association with the club and a few predicting dire scenario's should a deal go through. They were very much right and from the the last quote I can see I was very wrong, although the latter part of my post seems more plausible than ever.

I know at least 1 former director who had little or no regard for fans forums, even belittling Fantalk by calling it Fanny Talk, if they (the current board) are so in the dark as to the feelings of the masses because they are so out of touch that they don't (or just wont) use social media then more diversity in the board room is indeed required, in with some younger blood and out with the dinosaurs. I am aware that both AM & BC are 60+ but perhaps a couple of younger board members added to the mix could have made them all see that in the world has and is changing in regard to social attitudes.

32 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

This 

3 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

1st real mistake the Board at Raith have made in years. Yet are getting hounded out! They deserve a chance to fix this. If they dont try then let the firing squad attack, until then give them peace to make a plan 1/2
everyone listening to a sponsor who went huffy cause she wasnt consulted and rightly wasnt & a board member who walked out before when other members went against his view. Huffyness in droves. 2/2

The longer the silence endures, the more airtime clowns like this get. Sort it out RRFC.

Some people miss the point, we shouldn't be where we are.

Sponsorship brings mutual benefit, to the club and sponsor.

In this case the club has done something that the sponsor found offensive.

Imagine the knicker wetting in our support (quite rightly) if a sponsor was found to have done something odious and the club did nothing.

There would be an outrage probably on a smaller scale, but I'm sure the club would have dropped said sponsor.

The fact that we had Val probably brought an imbalance to the club in that mutuality due to her fame and popularity, the club couldn't have predicted that this would happen 8 years ago when Val offered sponsorship and the ongoing renewal, but in one bad mind fart of judgement have killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

6 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I apologise for the photo but I was just looking back at a fistful of the posts from 5 pages over the 28th December to the 30th, 90%+ of Rovers fans were clearly against signing DG with many saying they would end their association with the club and a few predicting dire scenario's should a deal go through. They were very much right and from the the last quote I can see I was very wrong, although the latter part of my post seems more plausible than ever.

I know at least 1 former director who had little or no regard for fans forums, even belittling Fantalk by calling it Fanny Talk, if they (the current board) are so in the dark as to the feelings of the masses because they are so out of touch that they don't (or just wont) use social media then more diversity in the board room is indeed required, in with some younger blood and out with the dinosaurs. I am aware that both AM & BC are 60+ but perhaps a couple of younger board members added to the mix could have made them all see that in the world has and is changing in regard to social attitudes.

Interesting T-Hall Rover indicated Andy Mill said we weren’t signing him so pretty much confirms Andy was totally out the loop. Never understand any board that disregarded a fan forum, it’s a great way to gauge your customers opinions. Yes fans talk 50% utter shite but the other 50% is good feedback without even asking the questions.  

10 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Saying nothing is far, far preferable to the statement issued on Tuesday night.  Taking time to say the right things is not the worst approach in the world.

Like it or not, the heat has died down in the wider context of wide spread media attention.  We need to hear something soon, don't get me wrong, but the immediate sting was taken out by Thursdays announcement.

Tbh the story was still the lead story on Sunday night radio Scotland news.

It's not as intense but the terrible exposure for Raith is still ongoing.

It will continue untill all the guilty parties are removed but will spike next time McGlynn has to do an interview and offer another non-apology.

27 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Yer man is now debating with a chap saying he'll make his own mind up what is the truth.

f**k me.